gun law question??

I have a question and am looking for a little help. I believe I read somewhere that you can no longer "will" guns to a family member. So if my dad was to pass away my mom would have to turn his guns in instead of handing them down to us. Is this true? Any help would be great

I would even say that if an immediate family member was to legally own an assault rifle, upon their death you may be able to have it passed on to another family member. It can be done now with handgun's to an unlicensed family member, they just have to surrender the gun to law enforcement until the proper permit's are obtained and than the transfer can take place. This may not be true when all is said and done, but it's entirely possible.

I would even say that if an immediate family member was to legally own an assault rifle, upon their death you may be able to have it passed on to another family member. It can be done now with handgun's to an unlicensed family member, they just have to surrender the gun to law enforcement until the proper permit's are obtained and than the transfer can take place. This may not be true when all is said and done, but it's entirely possible.

After April 15, 2014 there is no further registration of "assault weapons" allowed, so no, you cannot. It also adresses this in the bill by saying they cannot be passed down. This is where the real meat and potatoes are, and makes this law into what they want. Confiscation. Its just not right away.

Just a thought but what if you register your dad's gun in your name? He can still keep his gun but in the even of his passing it's in your name so you keep it. Let the younger folks register the guns to keep them in the family longer. probably bending the rules a bit but who cares, the law is in violation of 2A anyway. or is it like a pistol where only the registered user can have it. in that case might not be worth the risk unless it is just being shot on your land where a cop won't be to check papers.

sounds like alot of gun owners here are asleep at the wheel because they dont own what is termed as an assault weapon....better get the sleep out of your eyes folks because your rifles and shotguns could very well be next...alot ar-15 and ak owners were sleeping and thought they would never have to register their guns and guess what, their all wide away now.....

several NY legislators stood up when voting on tuesday and stated this is only the beginning and we will not rest till there are no guns in the state of NY...they arent kidding either.

I don't think we are asleep at the wheel. But there are so many people saying so many different things on here. And the legislation so difficult to read you need a law degree to understand it. I only started this post because someone told me it was now against the law to hand down any fire arm whether it was on the list or not. So just trying to get a little clarification.