Successful in NY? That's saying something...

phade

I see people say shorten gun season to mangae deer, Wouldn't it be better to have longer seasons so people don't have to rush and shoot the first thing they see because they will have more time to hunt?

No. States that went to shorter seasons learned that it had barely any impact on harvest numbers. Most deer are shot opening weekend or day. Personally the start of the season is much more important, but the shorter season tends to result in better pressure mgmt.

Edited by phade

• 2 weeks later...

No. States that went to shorter seasons learned that it had barely any impact on harvest numbers. Most deer are shot opening weekend or day. Personally the start of the season is much more important, but the shorter season tends to result in better pressure mgmt.

I understand the pressure mangament aspect of it, I just feel I personally wouldn't be as picky if I had less time to hunt.

I haven't been to a safety course in many years...but do they even try to teach aging in them...and if not.... :spiteful: dumping the idea of browsing over cross bows during a gun safety class and putting them firmly in an archery safety class when the time arrives ...would clear up space/time to do a good job on addressing age class...hhmmmmm

• Like 1

Many years ago i came to the conclussion that the NY deer herd will never be like the deer herds in OH, IL or any of those other midwest states without better contol and management from the state. There is absalutly NO WAY that we as NY hunters will make this happen on our own(State wide). We will never have enough people who want the same things out of hunting. And you know what, i believe that's OK. Who am i to tell another that the buck they shot was too young? If they enjoyed the experience in a law abiding way and didn't do anything to discredit hunting while in the field, then good for that hunter. I'm happy for him/her.

This is why i have leased a large property that is big enough for me to reep the bennifits of my own QDM program. I have the luck of leasing 800 acres. So i'm not as affected by neighboring hunters who don't "follow the same guidlines" as i do.

I practice a QDMP on my leased property for 3 reasons(and these 3 reasons are MY 3 reasons).

1) To improve the overall deer herd in numbers, body size, and buck to doe ratio. By doing this i hope to improve to a more exciting and fun hunting season for my son and I.

2) To give bucks better OPPORTUNITY to reach their POTENTIAL. By doing this I satisfy my desire to shoot large racked bucks.

3) I love spending time in the woods and improving land. What's more, i love having my son next to me halping out and learining that humans can have a huge impact on wild life, both possitive or negitive. I try to teach him that through some hard work and dedication, you can bennifit.

I realize that most hunters can not find a large trec of land or afford it. That's why i reccommend getting with 2 or 3 other hunters who have the same ideals as you when it comes to QDM and look for a parcel to lease yearly. Old dairy farms are a great opportunity. Usually the land is large, deer love old farms, and farmers usually don't mind the thought of a deer being shot. Plus, just about any old farmer i know could use a few thousand bucks in their pocket each year. The farmer can still farm his land or lease it out to other farmers, but the hunting rights wouod be yours.

Just something to think about..... i made this change a few years ago and glad i did, hope it helps a few of you guys out.

800 or even 1000 acres is still kinda small to practice qdm without any harm from the outside, Bucks will leave that size land and get blasted on the line. Hard to do true magmt but every little bit helps i guess. I have 700 acres but also 20,000 public acres on one side. 700 is way to small!!

• Like 1

Qdm would be great for this state. I would love every buck in the woods to be a trophy. But I also know if I see a nice 6,7, or 8 pointer walking my way, that is a good size deer I am going to put the meat in my freezer. And I know quite a few other guts who feel that way to. I use that meat to feed my family, 1 or 2 less things I need to buy at the store per week. If people want truly trophy bucks they need to do a state wide antler restriction. Nothing less than a 6 pt;

add up your hunting equipment, tags, slugs, etc and tell me your venison is cheaper than chicken and beef from wegmans. Your "feed my family" argument has no grounds in an AR discussion. There are enough flatheads in this state to feed Nigeria. I doubt you're only seeing small bucks and not any doe.

add up your hunting equipment, tags, slugs, etc and tell me your venison is cheaper than chicken and beef from wegmans. Your "feed my family" argument has no grounds in an AR discussion. There are enough flatheads in this state to feed Nigeria. I doubt you're only seeing small bucks and not any doe.

A license to hunt big game could be anywhere from Free to $29 depending on age an military service. It really isn't that expensive for a hunter to walk out the back door or drive 1/2 and hour to take a deer. You also have to remember that there is a very large portion of the state that does not issue Doe tags. So I think his assertion could be very valid. I have no idea where his is from.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

got a grape vineyard right beside our place... several others within a couple miles (i think there run by the Thousand Islands Winery) maby i should try and get permission to turkey hunt em...

they replaced the one near my dad's with corn. The turkey population is probably a third if not a quarter of what it was :(

Sorry Belo just plain wrong with that statement....Don't add in my hobby of plotting and I save a bunch using deer meat and no way could afford the pounds of jerky and sausages that I make...not to mention due to the fact that our family is so use to the little to no fat in deer meat we get illl on beef....By the way our DR's were the ones to tell us that.

Camp is in 8X...getting a doe tag in 8X is not easy...I've been declined several times...8N next door just recently made it a little easier to get a doe tag...I believe there are several other areas across the state where doe tags are not plentiful....many ppl do depend on deer meat to feed their families...just because you don't...do not assume others circumstances

i didn't realize jerky and sausage is what constituted meals today. and that people get sick off of beef. what do you order when you go out to eat? My apologies.

it's the 21st century. If you can afford hours upon hours in the stand. Than you can afford to work more and earn more to feed your family. You all make me laugh. I eat 2 full deer a year between my wife and I. We like to think it saves on the groceries, but when you add it up, it doesn't . It just happens to be a hobby that puts some extra food on our table. My sister doesn't hunt... but she's not starving. She earns a lot less than I do too. However does she do it?

Posted Today, 09:23 AM

i didn't realize jerky and sausage is what constituted meals today. and that people get sick off of beef. what do you order when you go out to eat? My apologies.

I'll chalk that question in bold as a brain fart on your part...Also yes beef fat added to the diet of ppl that aren't use to it can make you sick...we learned the hard way

Also... yes sausage..of course...and even jerky constitutes meals...I routinely eat jerky for lunch if I've had a salad...it's mt protein...when hunting...it is my entire lunch

why is that a brain fart? do you not go out to eat? EVER? Do you not have cream in your coffee? cream cheese on your bagel? the occasional dessert, birthday cake or bacon for breakfast? I can't believe you're fat free all around. And all this is coming from someone whose wife subscribes to clean eating magazine and eats very clean.

Edited by Belo

No...I eat do not eat beef fat as far as meat goes...we use fat free milk...low fat cheeses...and don't not eat bacon... by the way that is pork fat ....actually we don't eat out much either Mr B won't eat beef

Now you do understand that restaurants prepare things such as Chicken ...fish,,,and pasta right?...lol....have you never eaten Canadian bacon(still pork)...turkey sausage?..no bagels here...and Brumble&Brown yogurt spread ...There is also a difference between the pre digested fat in dairy and the fat that is marbled through and surrounding a steak

Edited by growalot

<<<<===== Note to self....respectfully decline a dinner invite at Grows...LOL

HAHA LOL. I understand that many people, if not most people, when not used to eating somthing in particular, and then they do.... itmight not sit well with them. Happens to me all the time as my job takes me all over the world. I have been to over 50 countries and many times food takes a toll on me. Not just talking about bacteria from 3rd world countries. Same applies when i get back stateside after 6-15 months of being away, those foods that i'm not use to eating can take a toll. I always have to ween myself back into that diet little by little.

Edited by SomervilleSlayer

Lets see gun bought, 25 years ago= 185$, licences $100 (supersportsman), bullets sill have 20 boxes of slugs at 1.19 a box from the 80's (bought a case) 5 deer in freezer aproximatly 200 lbs of bonless cuts (do the cutting myself) writing the cost of gun off over 25 years, adding in licences, and slugs. i pay about .55 cents a pound for my meat. less is i write off the gun after fist year. i don't think i can get any meat for that price anywhere....and that doesnt include fish or small game take , 2-3 turkeys a year , and lots of fish...hmmmm guess meat hunting does pay...:)

• Like 1

HAHA LOL. I understand that many people, if not most people, when not used to eating somthing in particular, and then they do.... itmight not sit well with them. Happens to me all the time as my job takes me all over the world. I have been to over 50 countries and many times food takes a toll on me. Not just talking about bacteria from 3rd world countries. Same applies when i get back stateside after 6-15 months of being away, those foods that i'm not use to eating can take a toll. I always have to ween myself back into that diet little by little.

That's how it was for me when I lived in the dorms. Took me a week to get used to the dorm food, then a week to get used to my mom's home cooking when back home. But as far as beef goes, there are cuts without all the fat :tease:

Lets see gun bought, 25 years ago= 185$, licences $100 (supersportsman), bullets sill have 20 boxes of slugs at 1.19 a box from the 80's (bought a case) 5 deer in freezer aproximatly 200 lbs of bonless cuts (do the cutting myself) writing the cost of gun off over 25 years, adding in licences, and slugs. i pay about .55 cents a pound for my meat. less is i write off the gun after fist year. i don't think i can get any meat for that price anywhere....and that doesnt include fish or small game take , 2-3 turkeys a year , and lots of fish...hmmmm guess meat hunting does pay... :)

like i said, it's more about the argument that without hunting your family would starve. But I'll bite on your math and take it to the extent a butcher/pro would during tax filing time. You want the most business expense deductions right?

You have to factor in the cost of the land/lease you accessed to kill the deer, the garage/barn you use to cut up the meat. The utilities used in that garage/barn. The taxes you pay on that piece of property, the equipment you bought and use to do the butchering, the pork, spices, freezer wrap etc used per deer. Cammo, tags and bullets.The freezer you store the meat in and the gas you used to driver around during the season. The truck, quad or tractor you use for transportation mileage is a writeoff. A lot of these actually have depreciation values associated with them as well.

Most importantly of all, the hourly rate you'd equate to the time in the woods hunting, the gutting, the dragging and the butchering. I realize that in reality you do not pay per hour to hunt, but if you were a professional that's how it would work out and that's how the butcher and supermarkets decide what to price their meat at. The easy way to do this is take your normal jobs hourly rate and multiply that by hours hunting/butchering to see what you could have made if you were working instead of hunting, and for arguments sakes negate the fact that you might be salary as you could be mowing lawns, plowing driveways or whatever if you weren't hunting.

I also realize that you may not have bought your house or land solely for hunting, there is hand me down equipment and tools and friends to help. But just think about it if you were a pro and what'd you would write off on your taxes and your math would be different. You can't just use numbers that work in your favor.

Edited by Belo

the land pays for itself with logging as well a i do live on the property. the electric is on in my house anyway. freezer is one i inherited but say i got it used for 50$, and wrappig supplies are minimal 10000 ft wrapping paper(professional roll) last 3-5 years for me for 40$.even if i write off a whole months electric bill at 75$ a deer take me about an hr from hanging to freezer. 5 hrs charge out of a month but put the rest toward keeping it frozen(though you still have to keep yours frozen from a butcher as well uinless you go to the store every other day or so to buy meat)., i'm still under a dollar a pound. as for a pro if your doing to make income your charging a lot for what your giving, 1 hr to butcher bonless cuts, you sell the hide.$65 plus? as for my time hunting its only on days i don't work, getting deer is not hard they are like fleas on an old hound. as for starving no i wouldn't but it sure saves a lot of money. and the butcher as a buisness is writing off a ton on taxes i'm sure . some guys i know were getting charged 80$ plus not including sausage making.. if you do it yourself and get 2-3 deer a year you'll beat the butchers price on any meat there is. i Stated doing my own when the charge went to 40 bucks a deer. 1989... so i've save thousands of dollars in this time.