Registering firearms/long guns

and let's remember the guy who lost his job, right to own guns and got prison time for breaking the current law.

People are losing their jobs left and right everyday, your "right" to own guns is obviously based on the governments consent, and your already considered a criminal by Cuomo. What's your point? You call that freedom?? God help us. No wonder we never get anywhere against these laws.

What burns me, is that these same people who aren't willing to stand up for their rights, expect someone else to do it for them.

• Like 3

People are losing their jobs left and right everyday, your "right" to own guns is obviously based on the governments consent, and your already considered a criminal by Cuomo. What's your point? You call that freedom?? God help us. No wonder we never get anywhere against these laws.

What burns me, is that these same people who aren't willing to stand up for their rights, expect someone else to do it for them.

You seem to be confusing "standing up for your rights" with criminal behavior. Understand that the first step in standing up for your rights does not involve felonious activity. Turning to anarchy as the first and only answer to government intrusions is not what I would call rational thought. We are a nation of laws and procedures, all of which have to be exhausted before we turn to confrontation and likely an armed conflict with a very bad end.

• Like 1

Sounds to me Doc that you are a "I'm gonna lay down and get trampled by the government type of guy", This country wouldn't be this country if it wasn't for people becoming criminals and standing up for what they believe in, I was personally there but i have read in the history books of our fight against a tyrannical government called England AKA the Crown every person who resisted at that time was committing treason, This Country was founded on the fact that the people will not lay down and get mowed over by their government and in the Constitution we were given rights to be able to do so again, That's is why we as firearm owners need to stand up against this. The fact that you fear are government is ridiculous that is another reason we have a constitution, So i say you can hide in the corner and hope this all blows over or you can do what we all have the RIGHT to do and stand up against this tyrant we call government. JMHO

• Like 1

You seem to be confusing "standing up for your rights" with criminal behavior. Understand that the first step in standing up for your rights does not involve felonious activity. Turning to anarchy as the first and only answer to government intrusions is not what I would call rational thought. We are a nation of laws and procedures, all of which have to be exhausted before we turn to confrontation and likely an armed conflict with a very bad end.

Doc, I asked you a question on the other thread. Just a rhetorical question. I ask it again.

If the government told you that you have to give up your first born, would you also follow that law to a "T"?

New York has dictated who can and can't own handguns for years, required the registration of them and have even told people flat out that they can't have them.....why has this been ok? how many of you have refused to comply with this violation of your Second amendment rights?

New York has dictated who can and can't own handguns for years, required the registration of them and have even told people flat out that they can't have them.....why has this been ok? how many of you have refused to comply with this violation of your Second amendment rights?

JJB, I've never owned handguns, or for that matter, AR15's, or AK47's. But, I've always stood up for other gun owners rights anyway. I have ALWAYS raised hell with the establishment, and will continue to do so. I don't live in a "me,me,me" world, like other people do. As for your comment that NY has dictated this laws for years, should actually tell people that there comes a time when you have to stand your ground, or just lose more and more. Boy, I'd hate to see some people on here in a bully situation. Oh, please, mr. bully, don't pick on me! That crap doesn't work in the real world!

JJB, I've never owned handguns, or for that matter, AR15's, or AK47's. But, I've always stood up for other gun owners rights anyway. I have ALWAYS raised hell with the establishment, and will continue to do so. I don't live in a "me,me,me" world, like other people do. As for your comment that NY has dictated this laws for years, should actually tell people that there comes a time when you have to stand your ground, or just lose more and more. Boy, I'd hate to see some people on here in a bully situation. Oh, please, mr. bully, don't pick on me! That crap doesn't work in the real world!

just curious as to what the response was when they told people they need to register their handguns or turn them in, way before my time so I have no idea what the response was.....and NYC has required the registration of all guns, I have no idea how long this has been in effect, but can't remember anyone trying to reverse it.

Doc, I asked you a question on the other thread. Just a rhetorical question. I ask it again.

If the government told you that you have to give up your first born, would you also follow that law to a "T"?

It's a bit of a ridiculous question because there is no real comparison between giving up a first-born vs. registering a gun. But if your question is really asking if there is anything that the government could do that would stir me to defiance of the law or perhaps even open rebellion, the answer is absolutely yes. However, gun registration is not it. And, violence or law-breaking would not be my first thought or act. There would be a rather lengthy procedure involving trying every avenue of using the law to reverse whatever the grievance was. You see I do not use the threat of law breaking easily. It is not my first thought or act because I know where open defiance of the law would lead, and there really are no winners when that is what you resort to. So if I were to engage in defiant illegal acts or even recommend such acts, the grievance would have to be unimaginably severe with absolutely no legal avenues left to me. We're not even close on this one.

I personally hold our system of laws in pretty high esteem and believe that the only reason we still have this country is because I and the vast majority of the citizens have this respect for laws. I believe that losing respect for the law is at the root of a lot of the problems that we face today. And warts and all, this is not a system that I am ready to have any part of trashing as long as there are still legal means to be pursued.

• Like 1

.........Oh, please, mr. bully, don't pick on me! That crap doesn't work in the real world!

Let me explain something to you about the "real world". You break the law, you pay the price. Make it a felony, and the price gets a lot bigger. And when the dust all clears, there's no glory and hero-worship. There's no Bruce Willis wannabe walking triumpantly into the sunset. You just become another criminal locked up in the slammer or worse and if anybody thinks about you at all they are just thinking another gun nut got his proper due. That's the real world.

• Like 1

They passed this law under the cover of darkness, without any discussion from the taxpayers/citizens. If anyone thinks it will stop here, they are foolish. We can fight this legally, to a point and that's if we unite. If we all stood up and no one registered a single gun that would be a statement. If we all get in line to register, that will be another step toward more and more restrictions handed down in the middle of the night.

They passed this law under the cover of darkness, without any discussion from the taxpayers/citizens. If anyone thinks it will stop here, they are foolish. We can fight this legally, to a point and that's if we unite. If we all stood up and no one registered a single gun that would be a statement. If we all get in line to register, that will be another step toward more and more restrictions handed down in the middle of the night.

well, if registration is a requirement and you refuse to register you're no longer fighting it legally, so you're dead in the water before you even get started........why aren't people fighting any and every restriction on any firearm? fully automatic, guns with silencers, 100 round magazines, handguns, shouldn't we be allowed to have these without restriction?

And now a touch of reality. First of all, there will be no overwhelming refusal to register. Are you kidding? .... we can't even get everybody together on a simple letter-writing campaign. You can't even get all hunters to agree that this was a bad law (look at past threads here). These are gun owners you are talking about. The overwhelming majority don't even belong to the NRA ..... lol.

Second, the number of people who own these guns are relatively few in number and will be no problem handling and prosecuting them one at a time. Also, in relative to NYS population, the number of AR owners is absolutely tiny.

Third, what person in their right mind is going to make it so that they don't even dare take this super expensive weapon outside to shoot it? Maybe it is a lot of fun owning an expensive rifle that you have to keep boarded up in the house walls. Are you going to be the first to risk felony prosecution and risk obtaining a legal felony status where all the rest of your guns are illegal to possess?

Fourth, don't be acting like our only options are illegal ones. We have not yet begun to take the fight to the courts.

Come on people stop sidetracking from real solutions with all these pipe-dreams. It's time to get behind some real solutions instead of all these feel-good schemes. But if you have a burning desire to become felons ..... knock you socks off

Let me explain something to you about the "real world". You break the law, you pay the price. Make it a felony, and the price gets a lot bigger. And when the dust all clears, there's no glory and hero-worship. There's no Bruce Willis wannabe walking triumpantly into the sunset. You just become another criminal locked up in the slammer or worse and if anybody thinks about you at all they are just thinking another gun nut got his proper due. That's the real world.

Never mind!

Edited by 13BVET

Just adding my two cents. The real shame he is these laws are making NYS even less desirable to live in. People who have the means to leave will ‘vote with their feet’ and leave.

With hard work and some luck I’ve been able to make fairly good money. I’ve started and sold companies. I now own a few rental units and single family homes. I pay over $50K a year in real estate tax. I pay a painful amount in NYS income tax. I employ on and off about a dozen sub-contractors to build and rehab my properties. When I’ve had enough of this states idiotic laws I will leave. A dozen hard working folks will lose their jobs. NYS will lose its tax money. The state will be left with the societal parasites it deserves. But I feel bad for the folks that can’t vote with their feet.

NYS is a lost cause. It’s can’t be fixed. Too many takers and not enough productive people in this state. The parasites will kill the host. Get out while you can.

13BVET, Thanks for your service. Myself, my father, my son.... we have all served from WWII Solomons. Guadalcanal, Marianas, to Iraq to most recently the Helmand Province of Afghanistan. You don't win anything by being emotional and by getting angry, only by being smarter and better prepared than you adversary. Yes our freedoms are being threatened but by standing together and taking action together and making the points with facts and common sense can we change the outcome.

13BVET, Thanks for your service. Myself, my father, my son.... we have all served from WWII Solomons. Guadalcanal, Marianas, to Iraq to most recently the Helmand Province of Afghanistan. You don't win anything by being emotional and by getting angry, only by being smarter and better prepared than you adversary. Yes our freedoms are being threatened but by standing together and taking action together and making the points with facts and common sense can we change the outcome.

I appreciate your compliments, thank you.

My point on the other issue, ironically, is unity. The fact of the matter, is that waiting for someone else to take action (lawsuits by NYSRPA, for example), is unacceptable, at least in my opinion. I never once said to "kill people, etc.". What I have said, though, is that there comes a time when you have to stand up for what you believe in. Whether it be verbally, or whatever, if you value your freedoms, you should take a stand.

I understand how you feel. It will take quite a while for the laws to be implemented. Cuomo has created a huge headache for law enforcement with laws that may noy even be enforceable. During the interim legal challenges will take place in the courts. Hopefully by working with the NRA and other like-minded organizations some us are already taking a stand.

No one should even start to register any guns! This is all BS and this law was voted on & signed in 20 min.( illegally). We should all wait until we see what the courts decide. We need to fight this law & protect our Constitutional rights!

I saw/read were they said it will take $36 million to get this law & registration started, I guess we,ll get taxed for that to pay for it ! More BS.

Edited by hunter49

I understand how you feel. It will take quite a while for the laws to be implemented. Cuomo has created a huge headache for law enforcement with laws that may not even be enforceable. During the interim legal challenges will take place in the courts. Hopefully by working with the NRA and other like-minded organizations some us are already taking a stand.

are not enforcable!!!!!

No one should even start to register any guns! This is all BS and this law was voted on & signed in 20 min.( illegally). We should all wait until we see what the courts decide. We need to fight this law & protect our Constitutional rights!

I saw/read were they said it will take $36 million to get this law & registration started, I guess we,ll get taxed for that to pay for it ! More BS.

AMEN!!!!!!!!