Hunting Camp Pictures?

josephmrtn

It is part of the deer river. So far I have caught small mouth bass, perch, bullhead. It is also supposed to have trout, northern pike, and a little down stream in deeper parts it has walleye, and musky. The water was really low last year so the majority of what we caught were smallmouth and bullhead. Knock on wood the only problem with security was a few years ago before we bought it someone broke in and didn't take anything but left a bunch of empty beer cans. My guess was local teenagers. My wife's aunt lives about 500 ft from our camp and you have to drive by her house to get there she normally keeps a pretty good eye out. Her neighbor is also a state trooper which also helps. Half of the people that live on the road leading to the dirt road our camp is on are related to my wife and if they aren't related they know the family pretty well. It is still a small community that everyone knows one another. I actually know more people around our camp than I do around our actual house. It is in a beautiful area and it is actually only about 20 minutes from home.

Edited by noahmstone

It is part of the deer river. So far I have caught small mouth bass, perch, bullhead. It is also supposed to have trout, northern pike, and a little down stream in deeper parts it has walleye, and musky. The water was really low last year so the majority of what we caught were smallmouth and bullhead. Knock on wood the only problem with security was a few years ago before we bought it someone broke in and didn't take anything but left a bunch of empty beer cans. My guess was local teenagers. My wife's aunt lives about 500 ft from our camp and you have to drive by her house to get there she normally keeps a pretty good eye out. Her neighbor is also a state trooper which also helps. Half of the people that live on the road leading to the dirt road our camp is on are related to my wife and if they aren't related they know the family pretty well. It is still a small community that everyone knows one another. I actually know more people around our camp than I do around our actual house. It is in a beautiful area and it is actually only about 20 minutes from home.

Ha-ha .... So anyone breaking in there that doesn't belong there has pretty much stepped into a hornet's nest .... lol.

NyAntler, your cabin is beautiful!!!! It almost looks like a Connestoga Log cabin kit that I have been researching online. Was it a kit or did you frame/build it to your own specifications? How big is it and many does it sleep?

The camp is 16 x 20 with an 16 x 8 front porch and a 16 x 15 loft...its all rough sawn hemlock.. stick framed.. inside is not complete yet.. I'm saving the best for last... should have inside done this summer... we are planning on just sleeping 4... but you could sleep many more if you arranged it just right... mine is a family camp so it will be a bit nicer than most hunting camps inside...

Edited by nyantler

To NyAntler:

Hey Joe...that nice porch that is built in to the cabin as a whole is considered an improvement....like it was added later on after the main building. This according to the assessors.

Go here,click on Public access and scroll to your town then find your property.

http://rptsweb.oswegocounty.com/index.aspx page 5. Gonna send you a PM later on some stuff.

.JPG]Here is my camp. Western Tug Hill. I have 10 acres, but border on two sides 900+ state and county. I was just there this week end. Only about a foot of snow there right now.The end with a door will be getting a 16x8 4 season porch this summer. I have no public services, and like it that way. Propane for cooking and lights, wired for generator throughout but usually only need it when it is very hot in the summer for fans.

post-27-0-75970600-1361138547_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-63144700-1361138653_thumb.jpg

.JPG]Here is my camp. Western Tug Hill. I have 10 acres, but border on two sides 900+ state and county. I was just there this week end. Only about a foot of snow there right now.The end with a door will be getting a 16x8 4 season porch this summer. I have no public services, and like it that way. Propane for cooking and lights, wired for generator throughout but usually only need it when it is very hot in the summer for fans.

That's a nice looking camp. What is the deer/turkey/small game population like up there?

Doc, It is north country hunting....I have no problem filling my freezer, but you will work for your buck. Right on the edge of the plateau where I am, the deer population is very healthy, but it is big woods hunting (but much better than say, in the ADKS. There is little agriculture for numbers. I dont hunt turkeys, but they are around. Again, not much for crops, but alot of overgrown apples. There are alot of grouse, and snowshoe bunnies.

Doc, It is north country hunting....I have no problem filling my freezer, but you will work for your buck. Right on the edge of the plateau where I am, the deer population is very healthy, but it is big woods hunting (but much better than say, in the ADKS. There is little agriculture for numbers. I dont hunt turkeys, but they are around. Again, not much for crops, but alot of overgrown apples. There are alot of grouse, and snowshoe bunnies.

I used to spend time up at Black Lake, and was always surprised on the trip up, at how guys were able to scratch out a living with their dairy farms and such. It is weird to see a farm that has big boulders sticking out of the ground every 50 feet or so ..... lol. I guess technically, that is a bit north of the actual Tughill area, right? But even up in the Theresa/Black Lake area, one of the biggest flocks of turkeys that I have ever seen was up in that area. But I can't for the life of me figure how deer and turkeys can survive any area off the east shore of Lake Ontario with the snow accumulations that happen there.

I used to spend time up at Black Lake, and was always surprised on the trip up, at how guys were able to scratch out a living with their dairy farms and such. It is weird to see a farm that has big boulders sticking out of the ground every 50 feet or so ..... lol. I guess technically, that is a bit north of the actual Tughill area, right? But even up in the Theresa/Black Lake area, one of the biggest flocks of turkeys that I have ever seen was up in that area. But I can't for the life of me figure how deer and turkeys can survive any area off the east shore of Lake Ontario with the snow accumulations that happen there.

You had to drive right by my 700 acres of sweetness on your way up through to get to black lake area. Im about 5 miles north of theresa on the edge of the military base!

• Like 1

For a great deal of the Tug, the deer yard up. They migrate into wintering "yards", or off the hill. My camp is located right on the edge of the hill, and when the snow starts in earnest, they move through the area to winter in the lower areas west of the hill. I love driving the accessible side roads as spring breaks, to find the herds. Theresa is a beautiful area. I guess it is off the Tug Hill itself, but it certainly knows winter just the same.

our new "camp" we built this summer, turned into a small house.

009-2.jpg

master bedroom

027-1.jpg

livingroom

026-1.jpg

dining room/kitchen . hickory hardwood flooring, cherry cabinets we built ourselves along with our own countertops.

025-1.jpg

master bath

022-3.jpg

021-3.jpg

better picture of kitchen cabinets just after finish coat being done, prior to backsplash being done.

068-1.jpg

067-1.jpg

Cabin looks great! Lots of hard work and memories. Do you find that the floor is tough to heat since its on pillars?

Mine is up on sticks and YES the floor is freaken cold.Laminated flooring....gonna end up either super insulating it or carpet. We nailed up blueboard,like 1" under it on the runners but don't do nothing for it IMO. Probably pull it all down,run regular ins inbetween the joists and then put the board back up.We were worried about condensation,but it ranges from about 2 1/2' to close to 4' off the ground.

thanks for the comments, yes it was alot of work but pre planning and prep work saved tons of time in the building process. We went from pillars to framed, wired, insulated and plumbed in 6 days. 4 more long weekends and it was just about done. I finished alot of the finish work the week i was there to bowhunt in nov. ( after I killed my buck B) ) and then finished most of the rest over thanksgiving when we were there.

some of the prep work that I did in spare time here included.

-getting 14' wall studs and setting a jig up to cut them all at 7'

-pre cutting all jack studs & cripples for doors and windows ( I had all the windows so knew the rough opening sizes)

-set up a jig to drill 1" holes at 22 1/2" ( which when adding the bottom plate gave me a wire height of 24" off the floor so I know where my wires are run) all studs, jacks, and cripples were drilled.

-built all the headers and sills for the windows and doors.

everything was marked, hauled down there and it was literally like putting a puzzle together! everyone thought I was nuts for predrilling the holes for the electric, of all the wires I have pulled in my life this was by far the easiest! completely rough wired the whole place in under 3 hours including all the home runs to the panel, drilling ceiling joists for lights and smoke and c/o detectors.

I would say that the prep work saved probably at least 2 days of onsite time during the construction process.

Judy wanted us to have Thanksgiving in the new place, we had our grandson with us and figured it would be us 3 and mom and dad,,,,,, well it ended up we had 14 of us there in the new place, killed a turkey there this fall so we had a wild gobbler and a domestic bird with all the trimmins. was a good time for everyone.

2 things left to do for the camp, skirting and trim the hardwood to carpet transition.

the place is insulated to the hilt, floors are fiberglass insulated and underside is sheeted. walls are fiberglass insulated and foamed around all outlet and switch boxes, outside is wrapped with tyvek and all windows are sealed with rubber flashing seal tape. attic has 14" of fiberglass insulation and all inside sheeting corners and jointes are caulked to ensure they are sealed.

all appliances are natural gas since we have free gas from our wells. the gas fireplace on the lowest setting keeps it 57-60 degrees no matter what the outside temps are ( at least down to 5 degrees this winter) The floors are not cold at all, even when we were there when it was down to upper teens at night you could walk on the floor bare foot.

the place is tight, probably too tight, you cant swing the door shut unless you really give it a heave, open a window and it closes like it should. I could probably heat it with 4 candles, I will probably put some vents in this year to help it breath some. one things for sure no more waking up in the morning and seeing your breath in camp for us!