need a good mouthcall for fiance?

TeeBugg

She picked up a primos sonic dome tonite. Figured the dome would help her get the call situated properly....well she has a small palate lol so now we are searching for a good beginners small palate/youth call. Looking at possibly flextones baby face or something from quaker boy. Any ideas?

just get her a bunch of them, they are fairly cheap and can be customized, and if she finds one she really likes this week it might not be her favorite next week, especially in the beginning. but its a good idea to go with the smaller ones like you mentioned or even cut n trim full size ones with a scissor..

i have dozens of them and am down to using maybe 3 or 4 now, as you might well know already, because you probably use them too.

Shes gotta return something today anyways. I was thinking of telling her to grab a quaker boy or the baby face. Probably go with the quakerboy beginner. But i think its regular size and she tried one of my doubles last nite and still too wide. Even if i trimmed it.

I recall on a trip to Bass Pro last fall that they made some for kids, they were so small I thought they were just a novelty.  I wish I could remember the name or something.  Perhaps googling them or searching their site might help.

To each is his own, but your calls require a lot of movement....just what a turkey hunter does NOT need.  As far as realism goes...How do you know?  Realism is determined by the turkey, not by a turkey hunter.  You hear what you hear...but that is not necessarily what the turkey hears.

not much movement at all, actually , and electronic analylisis is a lot closter for friction vs mouth.looking at radio wave legnths, natural voice and slate or friction have been around for eons, rubber/latex diaphrams wear out quickly very fast if not properly cared for. remember the old lead framed calls? how many are still around, you can still get a 100 year old box call... i know a lot of people that never tried turkey hunting for more than a season or two because of mouth calls( gagging getting to excited and squeeling them or making a wrong sound when birds were in fron of them)every one told them they needed to use a mouth call when they found out they could work a box or push box and call birds they started hunting again.  

Ive called more birds in using a mouth call. Maybe thats just me but ive seen birds in fields hens included who wouldnt respond to a box or a slate call. The second i use the mouth call heads go up and they are searching for me. Not to say that box or slate calls dont work because they do. Just my experience has been i get a more realistic sound from a mouth call. Again that is just me and obviously experiences differ. But back on topic she is gettin better at it and has also gotten herself to try some slates out!

C'mon G-Man....Movement is movement!!!  Box calls and slates are great (I use both), but they cannot compare with the mouth call.

If you wish to say that you do not want...or will not use a mouth call....That's okay.  Just don't try to justify yur decision because your calls are better than mouth calls.

The absolute bes turkey call....is the one he responds to!!!

• Like 1

A mouth call is a tool, i use them but slates and boxes do not require much movement when used properly. Less than 1/4 inch. And can be used loud, soft, and anywhere in between . Thats as much movement as your adams apple moving. Or a lot of peoples jaws or turning their head to make it seem further away or cupping a hand to the mouth for direction when working a mouthcall. For a beginner i give a pushbox vs mouth any day. Don't make turkeys to be supernatural they are pretty easy to fool i've done it many times just scratching leaves. If a bird wants to die it will come to the most awful call out there. Just like the media pushes mouthcalls, 20 guage shotguns super full choke tubes, hevi shot. Generations killed bird with wingbones, boxes, and frictions long before the mouth call was even an idea...

I totally agree with your, "Don't make turkeys......" comment.  You are right;  they are just dumb birds.  We kill them by providing whatever it is (box call, pot call, mouth call...whatever) they want on the day we are hunting them.  Now....is one call really better than the others....not really, but....on that certain day....!!

I have a very small palate too and I tried cutting a regular one down but it still didn't fit where it needed to be. I discovered the H.S. small frame turkey calls on Bass Pro Website the other day made for youth and it works great! Right placement and easy to use!! I'm still not that good since I'm a newbie but I got it for about $6... I hope this helps! :)

Freak nasty by micheal Waddell ... Nice rasp to it and most forgiving mouth call I've found so far... Just to jump in on earlier posts, I agree that whatever they wanna hear that day is what they wanna hear, I carry a box for windy days, a slate for soft calling , and 2 or three diff mouth calls which I primarily use... I've killed more birds with mouth calls though. If u get the right one they sound the most realistic out of em all, especially if u get a little rasp goin on ... Good luck this season