Question for fellow NY hunters and sportsman

Hey all. I am tossing around a idea in my head..well maybe just a dream but bear with me. I am originally from NY but moved out west after high school and became a big game guide. Guided in the back country for elk and sheep and then made my way to Kansas where I began chase after throphy whitetails. After Kansas I went to Illinios. Now I've gotten married to a girl from back home in NY and moved back here to begin a life together and have a newborn and built a new house. Since guiding is not in big need in NY I have had to switch careers and now haul petroleum in bulk tankers. It's a good job and the pay is good but I'm always itching to get back into something in the hunting industry.

So now that I've bored everyone with a little background on myself I'll get to my question. I was wondering what everyone thought of starting a small business in making food plots for people who either don't have the time or the money to buy the expensive equipment to produce quality food plots. I've looked into machines like the plot master that appears to make quick work of laying down a nice plot. The cost of a plot master is what turns alot of people away like me if I were to just use it for myself. But if I were to use it to make some plots for other people for some cash then buying one would be a no brainer. Do you guys/gals think there is a market for such a idea/dream of mine? Lol. I guess I would like to think that there's alot of average joes like me out there that can't afford big tractors or atvs and all the implements to set up the food plots we dream of, but paying someone a small chunk of money to cover gas and seed and some labor would be doable for most. I would really like to make a small side business out of doing something like this. It would help cover the cost of a plot master(or similar machine not completely set on it) and eventually bring in a little extra money for the family and would be enjoyable work and I would enjoy helping provide other hunters with awesome food plots that could help them bag a big buck and increase the quality of deer on their land.

So let me have it guys...am I crazy or what? Lol

If you have the set aside extra funds.... I say go for it ...but even  a side business ...when dealing with other ppls property incurs cash output for insurance ... liability and on equipment....trailers ... tools

We are going through this with our son right now...he's building the funds as well as equipment while putting the word out....before taking the plunge even as a after work week end side business...This way he won't have to worry about incidentals that could effect his now stable life....like a law suite that could take ,say, his house...as an extreme yet, in these times possible situation.

Sounds like a good idea if you can get the clients...   Could offer tree planting and trimming along with bush/shrubbery, many possibilities depending how far you want to go.  You could rent the equipment that was not too expensive.  Advertising would be key I would think.  If that is your route landscaping could be another part. 

Remote cabin/property maintenance specializing in deer/food plots free estimates...

If you start off with local advertising you can build up from food plots, sounds good if you know what you are doing.  Food plots are not perfect science due to nature usually... As Growalot said you need the backing for all that stuff, cost is not cheap but you can start off small and work up.  Land owner should be informed about proper maintenance, watering, bug and pest control, soil and climate effects to properly protect yourself...  Ex: Get a waiver signed...  And inform them that you take no responsibility for natural disasters be it bugs, rain, sun or vermin.  Good luck what ever you try! 

I don't see how anyone can do it and be successful without value adding services.

Overhead and liability outweigh what you can make in a food plotting business. You'd need to A. become certified, or educated to offer management advice B. Sell other things or services along the lines of cams, seed, stands, etc. C. Know how to market and sell.

Food plots have narrow time periods where they can be planted or prepared and you can only be in one place at a time. To me, it's a grand idea if you want to try to offset your costs, but it's not a money maker for a family if that is all you are going to do.

This seems to come up every year here.

• Like 2

Its all about how to promote yourself and get known. There are a few companies that do the same thing, but they also offer land clearing services as well.  Not to sure if you could get away with just doing food plot services, as mentioned above its very seasonal. 

• Like 1

theres always enough guys in most areas who desire hiring someone to make food plots. good source of EXTRA money but not sure about making it a career unless you had a good size clientele and are kept busy for the better part of the year.  but hey, if its something you desire, theres only one way to find out. one thing i know is dont rely on others to give you an answer your hoping for. if its something you feel you can make work and make grow then by all means you should pursue it.

I do several food plots for neighbors, its not a get rich process. I do theirs after I get mine done. Prolly 12-20 more on top of mine.If I make enough to cover the cost of mineI'm happy. Gas, is expensive and fertalizer is expensive, let alone seed.

What would u be willing to pay for an installed food plot, $200, $300, $400 an acre, depending on the crop? If one is not willing to pay that kind of money for a food plot, keep it a dream.

and those prices are cheap!  I'll pay someone $200 an acre to put in my 20 acres!  

4,000.00...I could buy a lot of equipment  with that kinda of money...where you at again? :P;)

Grow it would cost you right around 4K to put in my 20 acres.  Its mostly rr corn and rr soybeans.  Don't forget my lime and fertilizer too.  Not to mention all the diesel you will need. lol  It will save me alot of time!  Maybe I would be able to turkey hunt than!

Split g2, I can't believe you pay that much, seed can be picked up thru many organizations for 10-20 a 60 lb for rr seed. Must be using small equipment, should be a 5-7 bottom plow. 12- 20 ft disc About.3 Hr labor to plow and disc and 3- 4 more for drag and plant. 100An hr 800 to 1000 for labor.fert d 200-300 .fert and lime vary to amount needed.. for 4000 a year x 5 years thats 20g? You could of bought it all and do a lot more yourself... hunt in am till noon and plow plant afternoons...its what i do. I agree with grow thats A lot of equipment. Bigger equipment is cheaper than smaller stuff (because everyone wants to do food plots)

Split g2, I can't believe you pay that much, seed can be picked up thru many organizations for 10-20 a 60 lb for rr seed. Must be using small equipment, should be a 5-7 bottom plow. 12- 20 ft disc About.3 Hr labor to plow and disc and 3- 4 more for drag and plant. 100An hr 800 to 1000 for labor.fert d 200-300 .fert and lime vary to amount needed.. for 4000 a year x 5 years thats 20g? You could of bought it all and do a lot more yourself... hunt in am till noon and plow plant afternoons...its what i do. I agree with grow thats A lot of equipment. Bigger equipment is cheaper than smaller stuff (because everyone wants to do food plots)

I agree, but a "dependable" used tractor, to pull said equipment, is going to cost more, so it equals out a little.

I always attend the farm equipment consignment auctions. The fall sale prices for equipment are always lower then. If one plans ahead a little, $ can be saved, and made. The Spring sales gives a chance to see neighbors and get valuable information , and connections.

Having a background in the ag. machinery business 33 yrs., helps too.

The dependable used tractors are out there, but I've never found on at auction. I picked up an oliver 1800 for 3000. And a kabota 7200 for 3500. Just cause their old doesn't mean they aren't dependable. Most of my equpment are field finds, old equipment abandoned in hedge rows or used as planters.

G-man, trust me I do use NWTF for most of my corn but the midwest drought has limited the amount of corn members can get.   I used 4k as if i didn't rotate crop, didn't use club seed etc..Still not cheap to plant.  Most of my farm is in corn and soybean and seed is expensive compared to other seed crops.  also I don't use any preemergents so post emergence (gly) is another cost.

I have midsize equipment:

JD 4010 90hp diesel

12 disc

4 row trip plow

8 foot cultipacker

1240 JD planter

16 foot boom sprayer

Corn is one of the most expensive crops to plant if you don't cut corners.

• Like 1

It takes me 6-8 hours just to plow.  My fields arent flat and have alot of underground streams, so ground is wet.  Plus something always happens to equipment etc.lol.   Not all ground is equal.

• Like 1

It takes me 6-8 hours just to plow.  My fields arent flat and have alot of underground streams, so ground is wet.  Plus something always happens to equipment etc.lol.   Not all ground is equal.

Try putting a  brand new Wil Rich 10 bottom plow in the ground set up by half witts. They break too, LOL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...