Would you shoot a bearded hen ?

Water Rat

No joke.  Check out this youtube clip...

Man , I guess I owe you an apology ! I learned more about turkey hens today than in the last 20 years or so of turkey hunting. Just when you think you know it all about something , you find out that you don't. That's why I usually give people the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for all your reply's/posts .

• Like 1

I've seen a couple and one of my buddies got one.  Its legal to shoot them spring or fall and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot unless there was a long beard close by.  Saw a completely cream/blond colored hen a couple years ago while deer hunting.  That was pretty cool too!   

Yep-- a very dominant hen can sure put on a show. I know folks who have chickens, and without a strong rooster presence the boss hen will sometimes take on the role. Crowing, wing-dancing, even growing a larger comb. I imagine all social galliformes are similar in this way.

I'd pass on a bearded hen right now. Our turkey numbers are down and any extra poults that come from her nest are very welcome.

Yep-- a very dominant hen can sure put on a show. I know folks who have chickens, and without a strong rooster presence the boss hen will sometimes take on the role. Crowing, wing-dancing, even growing a larger comb. I imagine all social galliformes are similar in this way.

I'd pass on a bearded hen right now. Our turkey numbers are down and any extra poults that come from her nest are very welcome.

I have a hen that crows like a sick rooster i don't even think she lays eggs.

If hen has beard and head has red how do you know its a hen?

A mature gobbler will often have a startlingly red/white and blue head (when he is alive). But, it might well be easier to mistake a bearded hen for a jake that's not flushing. I cannot promise that I wouldn't make the mistake, as sometimes you only have a few seconds to decide on the shot or not. Other times you have a long look and can pick out the differences.

I should amend what I said and say: I would pass on a bearded hen that I was sure about. I'm not perfect!

I have a hen that crows like a sick rooster i don't even think she lays eggs.

If hen has beard and head has red how do you know its a hen?

Since hens are about half the size of toms, that might be the best way to guess. 15% or so of hens have beards or otherwise resemble toms, but I never heard of them being as large.

Just to back this all up, my buddy shot a bearded hen a few years back.  It had eggs in it.  We called in a bearded hen this year, it was doing that weird gobble posted by WNY bowhunter.  It was also cutting and what not.  It came up the edge of the field with a bright red head.  I was hunting with a bow, and I took the shot because I was 100% sure it was a jake.  Well it was a bearded hen, and ill put up the footage later.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting. i thought it was illegal. good to know if I ever make the mistake. i almost pulled a trigger on a hen my second season. thought i saw a redish head and it was a jake. It's funny how easy i think it is to spot a button buck, but it's only from experience. To a novice turkey hunting, I think these mistakes happen.