Central NY Bear

Five Seasons

So I know a few people seeing bear around Rochester, Syracuse and Buffalo. I believe there is no season in these areas, but I believe it's because generally there are no bear here. Does this mean even with a tag you cannot take a bear? I would assume the answer is that you cannot. But just curious. I would imagine bears making a comeback in the area wouldn't exactly be welcome by everyone and if one walked by the stand and it WAS legal, would you take it?

IN the Rochester Area the open area is generally south of the Thruway. Just check the map and see where it is open. I would take it. I took one up north last year and I love the meat. It is actually my daughters favorite. The only bear I have tried that I didn't like was a "dump" bear. They are a poster child for "you are what you eat" . The one I took last year had been living in about 400 acres of corn.

• Like 1

did you get a rug made? wondering what that costs generally.

I hlready had a 1/2 body mount of my first and my Father got one and we had a rug done for camp so on this one I gave the skin to a taxidermist and he is cleaning the skull for me. The mount was about 750 and the rug was pushing 1,000. it will probably run you about 150-175 a foot for a really nice rug with ad ons for things like an open mouth. Nice thing about a rug is you can about guarantee you can get most if not all of your money out of it. THere is a market for rugs and I know 2 taxidermists that don't even require deposits for them becasue they know they can get their money out of them by selling them.

yeah i thought it was around a grand. That's crazy. I might make a trip some year to my camp up by Racquet. At the risk of sound unethical, would it really matter if you shot a bear in a county without a season? what's the consensus on this? If the DEC is trying to grow their numbers in other areas then I wouldn't do that, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Biz-R-World

There are plently of bear down here.  One just got hit by a car on RT 22 (Wingdale) the other day.  Try some of the NYC property in Kent or near Fawnstock (Putnam).   Saw 5 in Dutchess (sow cubs twice) last year.  There some ok state land as well in Dutchess.  But if you are going to target them, you need to scout now and get them with a bow.  Once the gun hunters get in the woods, the bear seem to vanish.  Best bet is if you know any local farmers and orchard guys have them call you if they see any.  I have a few farmers that will let me know when they spot bears (for a fee $).

Good luck

Edited by mmkay

well someone shot a bear here a few years ago before the season was open in the town news spread and he was caught even though he was hush hush about it . taxidermists get visits from dec all the time and every bear is checked and if your name is on tag your responsible for reporting it, dec showed up in 16 hrs from when I called mine in last year.. So if loss of licence, fines, loss of gear (everything confiscated) and being watched on probation for years is worth it for you go ahead,  It is not worth it to me. the dec wants to see site of kill, remainder of gut pile,ect in poaching cases. and you will need a lot of help to get it out so unless you are a taxidermist yourself, don't allow any pics to be taken, can silence your friends and anyone that would be involved , my suggestion is not too....

yeah i thought it was around a grand. That's crazy. I might make a trip some year to my camp up by Racquet. At the risk of sound unethical, would it really matter if you shot a bear in a county without a season? what's the consensus on this? If the DEC is trying to grow their numbers in other areas then I wouldn't do that, but I'm not sure that's the case.

would it matter if you shot a bear in an area closed to bear hunting?..........I can say that absolutely yes, it would matter.

• Like 1

There are definitely bears creeping northward.  I live in Clarence, NY (suburb of Buffalo and definitely north of the thruway) and we had a bear come through our backyard 2 years ago.  The DEC tracked it down and shot the stupid thing.  Those of you who live in the area probably remember this.   There is no season up here, but you probably could claim self defense I suppose.  I probably would have crapped msyelf had I been in the woods when it walked by.  I also hunt down in Chautauqua county (north side on the Erie county border) and see bears OCCASIONALLY.  They ARE in season, but they are hardly around to really "hunt" them.

well someone shot a bear here a few years ago before the season was open in the town news spread and he was caught even though he was hush hush about it . taxidermists get visits from dec all the time and every bear is checked and if your name is on tag your responsible for reporting it, dec showed up in 16 hrs from when I called mine in last year.. So if loss of licence, fines, loss of gear (everything confiscated) and being watched on probation for years is worth it for you go ahead,  It is not worth it to me. the dec wants to see site of kill, remainder of gut pile,ect in poaching cases. and you will need a lot of help to get it out so unless you are a taxidermist yourself, don't allow any pics to be taken, can silence your friends and anyone that would be involved , my suggestion is not too....

that's an out of season kill. not the same.

would it matter if you shot a bear in an area closed to bear hunting?..........I can say that absolutely yes, it would matter.

I realize this. My question is why does it matter. Because I'd like to know if there is no open season in the central and western areas of the state simply because there have been no bear here, or is it because they're trying to grow their numbers. I'm not advocating that I do or would go through with it. As far as I know there are none in wayne or tully anyhow. This is simply a hypothetical case. I do have a camp in the dacks, I can easily go up there and shoot one. The question is what would happen down south if YOU saw one.

that's an out of season kill. not the same.

I realize this. My question is why does it matter. Because I'd like to know if there is no open season in the central and western areas of the state simply because there have been no bear here, or is it because they're trying to grow their numbers. I'm not advocating that I do or would go through with it. As far as I know there are none in wayne or tully anyhow. This is simply a hypothetical case. I do have a camp in the dacks, I can easily go up there and shoot one. The question is what would happen down south if YOU saw one.

Bear are legal to take where I hunt, so without a doubt I would shoot one.........and I would think killing a bear out of season and killing one where there is no season, would be more or less the same thing.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

They are in Tully area. I have had two different bears cross 81 in front of me in that area on my way down to camp. Usually it is the younger displaced males that you see venturing into a new area that the we see ont he fringe of their normal range.

We had someone hit a sow the next road over from me in Ballston spa. I rather enjoy hunting in an area where I am the biggest thing in the woods, not sure how I feel about them moving in.

This year or last?

Last year I remember a whole bear family got taken out on Middle Line. Right around the corner from where I grew up, literally.

I just got back from a Spring Bear hunt in N Quebec, the woods up there is full of black bears....  I was successful in harvesting one.   Bears are very aloof and secretive creatures.

A sow with cubs, or a wounded bear is not something I would want to run into but black bear attacks are very very rare.  You have a better chance at getting hit by lightning.

When I shot my bear last Monday, from the ground at 25 yards behind a pile of brush, the bear turned and ran right towards me.. the bear did not know I was there and was running the bear trail (the biggest game trail I have ever seen) full speed running towards me, blood gushing out from just behind each shoulder and piled up 10 feet in front of me, slightly to my left and made 3 death groans... something I will never forget.  I used my Rem 700 30-06 with 165 grain hornady sst and all I can say is wow what damage.

My next bear hunt in a year or 2 will be Manitoba with Bow in the Spring.   I have bears on my property, get them on cam and see them in the woods are rare though.  I hope to be able to harvest one on my farm some year.

They are in Tully area. I have had two different bears cross 81 in front of me in that area on my way down to camp. Usually it is the younger displaced males that you see venturing into a new area that the we see ont he fringe of their normal range.

that's a good point. i forgot but now i remember hearing about some there.

Whole different dynamic when you aren't on the top of the food chain.

aint that the truth!

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/field-notes/2013/06/video-bear-climbs-tree-smell-hunter

I just got back from a Spring Bear hunt in N Quebec, the woods up there is full of black bears....  I was successful in harvesting one.   Bears are very aloof and secretive creatures.

A sow with cubs, or a wounded bear is not something I would want to run into but black bear attacks are very very rare.  You have a better chance at getting hit by lightning.

When I shot my bear last Monday, from the ground at 25 yards behind a pile of brush, the bear turned and ran right towards me.. the bear did not know I was there and was running the bear trail (the biggest game trail I have ever seen) full speed running towards me, blood gushing out from just behind each shoulder and piled up 10 feet in front of me, slightly to my left and made 3 death groans... something I will never forget.  I used my Rem 700 30-06 with 165 grain hornady sst and all I can say is wow what damage.

My next bear hunt in a year or 2 will be Manitoba with Bow in the Spring.   I have bears on my property, get them on cam and see them in the woods are rare though.  I hope to be able to harvest one on my farm some year.

that's a wild story!

Edited by Belo