Questions about new food plot sites

Nice. Im not sure what we are going to plant in the more established plots yet. There is clover everywhere, as the guy I hunt with frost seeded all of the trails on the property a couple years ago. It needs to be done again, but no real point in doing clover plots with how much is on the property already.

I like an annual mix to start, brassica and oats followed by ladino clover.  Sometimes I will mix the clover in the first planting.  Will try to do it this fall on a ~1 ac plot, same as you describe.  I spay and only disc cuz the ground is so rocky my way.  The plot I will do this yr  is on flat land along the creek, so I may try the 3pt tiller.  good luck.  Share photos as you progress.  I will try to get some up too.  and anything Grow says is good as gold from what I've read.  Have fun!

If you have a ton of clover around, maybe consider a solid chicory plot.  Seed is a little expensive, but deer love it... it may draw them like you want.  That would be tops on my list.... I know splitG2 did a chicory only plot... not sure how it did.

Don't discount radishes, brassicas........................

I like apin,and purple top turnips, break ground up well especially with deer digging thru snow to get every bulb looks like its been rototilled in spring. bonus is I like to eat turnip as well so it gives me some extra free food! really get in first with roundup and 2/4 d now fall panting isn't till end of july in most cases and the less competition the better!!

• Like 1

Thats what we are figuring to do. Im going to stop down this weekend and collect soil samples to send in to Biologic, then we are going to hit the spots with round up. We have some time before we have to plant so we should be ok.

Question. When you spray the round up, I need to wait to have a couple of dry days in a row, correct?

They suggest a week ...but do your self a favor...stop at the farmers you know or go to Tractor supply and buy a surfactant/adjuvant  to add to the round up...it will work faster and better

Oopppss I thought you meant to work the area...not sure on round up but tuff stuff recommends at least 12hrs...

Edited by growalot

I'd go one in winter grains like what was said.  Also I've had good luck in late season with Antler King Honey Hole.  Otherwise go with a clover blend and maybe even some trefoil to take the grazing pressure that the deer will put on them being that secluded.

12 hrs for roundup, but pronto big n tuff is same stuff and cheaper/ i mix with 2/4 d as it make a more potant weed/brush killer.  a week is a good time for it to kill off and remove as much dead vegietation as you can.  

The best time to spray round up is in the morning when it is going to be a hot day,  no rain in the forecast is best.  I have sprayed 3-4 hours before a rain and got a good kill.   Buy generic Round up it is a lot cheaper, I agree with grow I add surfactant even though the brand I of generic I use has surfactant in it all ready.

I order mine from keystone pest solutions online... it maybe available locally.  If you need to borrow that one sprayer let me know....