what is causing this hair loss & skin problem in Aug?

mac

mange came to mind. figured mange isnt all that common so could be something else?? and mange can be passed on to others in the group and it seems a few appear this way. hope they put on some more weight soon!

Purely speculation here, but my guess would be deer flies.

The common areas for them to attack (face, ears, and neck) have been chewed raw by the buggers by the looks of it.

The constant annoyance from them may have left this guy itching and scratching every other area of his body the rest tried to attack that he could do anything about in his hind quarters.

The deer around here look pretty thin this year as well right now, but they will bulk up soon as everything ripens up!

Bugs can be a real big stress on deer in the summer months.

I don't know if I would take a deer with that "look." While a trophy deer is nice, I enjoy the meat and butchering process too much to have any doubt that the meat may be tainted. I'm hoping for your sake that wooly is right and its some surface annoyance

Relax everyone- I'm pretty sure its just the winter coat starting to come in. If you look at the base of the tail of the buck in the bottom RH corner picture you can clearly see the line where the brown hair meets the white. Also on his neck you can see his short blue coat coming in. Nothing to worry about.

I looked it up  and there are a lot of things out there...if they have any sign of under coat it is a natural summer shedding...if they are loosing weight and have no under coat it could be a few things ....none good

HD...you will be finding dead deer with in a week of them getting ill

CWD...there looks to be too many showing signs

I found this ...wonder it it's another spread like CWD from the

west....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jhComlnt8s

mange is another thing...

I would send the DEC the pics and ask if they have any concerns...there was a case in Michigan where deer looked like that and died and the police had killed several in poor condition but took them to a land fill instead of the conservation Dept...it was listed as an unknown disease

I still think that one poor looking buck has an infected wound causing the problem...your one doe has fibrous growth on her left brow...either that or a an infected tick bite...hair loss happens with heavy tick infestation

hope that all helps

PS...all this wet...God only knows what new nasties the mosquito's are bring in to every thing...

Edited by growalot

little early for losing the summer coat, maybe the end of that 90+ degree stretch kinda triggered the coat to change. anyone else see any changes in coats in their area this year or in the past years going into August ? I was worried about their weight also but that could change once Sept comes around

There are 2 bucks in those first 4 pics, both have irregular left side antlers and what looks like a wound to the right rear quarter. The injury and antler growth correlation is there, its strange that you have 2 bucks with similar injuries on the same property. Maybe they were running across a road together and both got banged by a car.