special youth firearms season

MACHINIST

Speaking of, I already got a response

"John,

The publication you refer to has not been updated, the new license year will be upon us soon and you should see the change.  The crossbow is no longer a legal implement to hunt with in NYS.  The proposed legislation died in the assembly, to my knowledge. I have heard nothing further on the issue.

Capt. John W. Burke
NYS DEC Police
6274 East Avon-Lima Road
Avon, NY 14414-9519"

Its easier for a beginner to pick up. I agree, I wasnt as "hard core" of a deer hunter until I picked up my bow either, but Id venture to say that most people's first taste involves gun season.

my first taste involved tagging along with my dad and uncles during deer season way before I was able to hunt, as did my son........nobody in my family were serious bowhunters way back then.

Its easier for a beginner to pick up. I agree, I wasnt as "hard core" of a deer hunter until I picked up my bow either, but Id venture to say that most people's first taste involves gun season.

agreed. And the younger generations fascination with shooter videogames will certainly appeal to the youth. I first started at 16 with my gun. Honestly I'm not sure there's a big deal to hunt during regular season with your dad, uncles and friends scattered throughout the woods, and at that time we were talking back and forth with 2-way radios. It was fun and cool to be part of it.

I ride the fence on this one. Like others said, i'm not sure a specials season will make or break someone from entering the sport.

Speaking of, I already got a response

"John,

The publication you refer to has not been updated, the new license year will be upon us soon and you should see the change.  The crossbow is no longer a legal implement to hunt with in NYS.  The proposed legislation died in the assembly, to my knowledge. I have heard nothing further on the issue.

Capt. John W. Burke
NYS DEC Police
6274 East Avon-Lima Road
Avon, NY 14414-9519"

Sounds like a lame excuse. It must have been updated, as it has this years seasons dates. 

I know there are many who argue that the youth hunt will be used by adults as a way to shoot a deer and have their kid tag it, but I'm sure that's no more of a problem then adults who shoot their deer the day before opening day, use a crossbow during archery season, shoot a deer over bait or any other illegal scenario you can imagine.........no matter what the season or implement used, there will always be illegal activity.

It'll be interesting to see what recruitment numbers they come up with. Problem is that the data may never be reliable because of the larger upswing in hunter numbers nationally and across age and gender distinctions the past few years.

If it's in the book, that's what I am carrying with me. I will be hunting the youth season with my crossbow, my little cousin's birth certificate to show my age, and that page to show the crossbow is legal. Thanks!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I know there are many who argue that the youth hunt will be used by adults as a way to shoot a deer and have their kid tag it, but I'm sure that's no more of a problem then adults who shoot their deer the day before opening day, use a crossbow during archery season, shoot a deer over bait or any other illegal scenario you can imagine.........no matter what the season or implement used, there will always be illegal activity.

I think most people's concern here relies on the "special" treatment and it's long-term impact on recruitment. Hard data is challenging to come by in this area and I don't think anyone is against getting kids involved. How best to do it is really the crux of the topic.

I think most people's concern here relies on the "special" treatment and it's long-term impact on recruitment. Hard data is challenging to come by in this area and I don't think anyone is against getting kids involved. How best to do it is really the crux of the topic.

I do agree that if that's what it takes to get you and you're kid involved in hunting, there's a much bigger problem.......my son was tagging along and freezing his ass of with me for a few years before the youth hunt opened up, deer and turkey alike. It was nice to get out there before the crowds and spend quality time with him while the woods were quiet.

Im youth, but im not participating. il use guns for small game, turkey, etc. I dont  know what the fun of sitting 100 200 yards away shooting a deer is. Once a year i go on a trip with family for 2 days. Those will be the only 2 days of deer season il have a gun in hand. 

agreed. I would also imagine if some of the neighboring properties where you archery hunt had heavy participation it wouldn't be very good for your bow season. We all know what happens when the guns go off. I would agree that a few bangs wouldn't be much of an influence though.

Last year shouldn't be a measuring stick. It was hastily put through and poorly communicated/advertised per the DEC itself as quoted saying so. The other thing, as we all know, was that weekend was HORRIBLE weather in some parts of the state, constant rain and wind. I remember sitting in that weather thinking there's no way kids will want to be in this stuff the first time out.

I doubt the impact will be huge, but, I don't think last year was a good representative of what every year will be like.

Youth season is be easier to introduce kids to deer season by me, since public lands are limited and I have been shut out of 2 of the local public lands for opening weekend - did not make the list to get a spot for opening weekend.

This reduces moms' worried about their "baby" being out in cold on a dark early morning.  If you think about it, when you take a kid out for rabbit/squirrel/pheasant hunt the sun is up a little and it is 5-10 warmer than when you typically start a deer hunt.  The aren't used to starting out a hunt in the cold unless you have taken them along in the past just to tag along.

The upside of a Youth hunt is the mentor gets a couple of days to scout while helping the youth to bag their first deer and not have to monitor their own weapon as well as the youth's while watching for game.

Of course, being warmer watch out for the ticks.  Last year on the warmer days I was pulling off 12-20 ticks off of me and my outer layer of clothes - they didn't seem to mind the Deet last year.

Wished they has youth season set up a lot earlier last year - it was same weekend we had pre-paid for a family camp-out with friends.  Now my son is 16.  He will just have to wait another month.

I hear more shots throughout the summer of people just target shooting......more so the day or two before gun opens.

It kind of makes you wonder why everybody was pinning their hopes on this gimmick then. It can't be taken both ways. If it is worth doing, then the potential for being a significant impediment to bow hunting exists. If it takes place and nobody even notices it, you have to wonder what was actually accomplished.

This year will be  a much better test because, as was pointed out, that thing last year was such an absolute mess (now you see it... now you don't .... oh there it is again ... quick, spread the word). It's hard to say just how many participants got "confused out of it" last year. Personally, as before, I believe it all much ado about nothing. I think it is pretty much a "window-dressing" approach to a serious problem that has its basis in hunters not taking on responsibilities of mentoring and encouraging new hunters. We have provided an opportunity to do what people have always had the opportunity to do (but didn't), patted ourselves on the back and walked away declaring .... "problem solved".

Youth season is be easier to introduce kids to deer season by me, since public lands are limited and I have been shut out of 2 of the local public lands for opening weekend - did not make the list to get a spot for opening weekend.

This reduces moms' worried about their "baby" being out in cold on a dark early morning.  If you think about it, when you take a kid out for rabbit/squirrel/pheasant hunt the sun is up a little and it is 5-10 warmer than when you typically start a deer hunt.  The aren't used to starting out a hunt in the cold unless you have taken them along in the past just to tag along.

The upside of a Youth hunt is the mentor gets a couple of days to scout while helping the youth to bag their first deer and not have to monitor their own weapon as well as the youth's while watching for game.

Of course, being warmer watch out for the ticks.  Last year on the warmer days I was pulling off 12-20 ticks off of me and my outer layer of clothes - they didn't seem to mind the Deet last year.

Wished they has youth season set up a lot earlier last year - it was same weekend we had pre-paid for a family camp-out with friends.  Now my son is 16.  He will just have to wait another month.

Skimmed over major point here. If the youth hunt is the initiator of getting a kid into hunting for the first time, there's much bigger problems at hand. "Special" is not justification for starting a kid in the outdoors/hunting...in my opinion.

It kind of makes you wonder why everybody was pinning their hopes on this gimmick then. It can't be taken both ways. If it is worth doing, then the potential for being a significant impediment to bow hunting exists. If it takes place and nobody even notices it, you have to wonder what was actually accomplished.

This year will be  a much better test because, as was pointed out, that thing last year was such an absolute mess (now you see it... now you don't .... oh there it is again ... quick, spread the word). It's hard to say just how many participants got "confused out of it" last year. Personally, as before, I believe it all much ado about nothing. I think it is pretty much a "window-dressing" approach to a serious problem that has its basis in hunters not taking on responsibilities of mentoring and encouraging new hunters. We have provided an opportunity to do what people have always had the opportunity to do (but didn't), patted ourselves on the back and walked away declaring .... "problem solved".

like I said before, if this is the only reason you get your kid out into the hunting world, you've already lost them.