Asking Permission

ItalianHunter5

I'm looking for a piece of private land close by that I can get permission to hunt because i want to get out during the week. All we've been doing is weekend hunting upstate and i'd like to do more. So far i've been shot down for 4 properties, 12, 43, 42 and 93 acres all for multiple reasons. One was through email and the others were over the phone. Do you guys have any suggestions on how i can accomplish getting some property??

Biz might understand how people are getting in our area because i am the county right above him, Putnam. They are mostly antis and don't want anyone on the property. So money might be the best thing, I am trying to get a 51 acre parcel close by and i'm going face to face. I think this will have the best conclusion.

The land we hunt is slowly being taken over by animals and gardens. Im in panic mode finding places to hunt. Using our counties tax maps, i have a list of 8 places im stopping by with a letter for their mailboxes. And doubting any of them will say yes, i also am mailing out 11 letters to the landowners who don't have a residence on the land, or instead of a mailbox, they have a PO box. I really hope i get a place for my dad to bring me hunting within our town, for my dad isn't up for much driving. 

Hunting3m, i can completely relate. Our upstate in Columbia County is being bought all around us and we are relying on our 23 acres and a farmer's ok for our group of 8. It's getting really scary, that's why i want to be able to hunt close by to my house. So i will be sending out letters and ringing doorbells for around my house and for upstate.

took me two year going door to door before I got permition to hunt on the land I have now bin there 10 years and still can't find any other land ever one want cash from $500 to $1,000 for one season good luck hope you find some

papabear

Getting permission to hunt someone’s land is harder and more work than all the hunting activities combined.

Best bets is to always be on the lookout. ALWAY be ready when the chance arises. I once got permission in Westchester when I bought a new car. Another car buyer was complaining about her landscaping being eaten. I sparked up a conversational and within 5 minutes had access to 15 acres.

Sometimes co-works will mention the farm they grew up on, or at church the guy next to you might be a landscaper. The guy on the side of the road selling vegetables might have land.  Your Doctor, Dentist,  Landlord might turn you on to some huntable land.

• Like 1

Looks like i'm gonna stick with face to face from now on, seems to work best and you know what really gets me, we own property on Tug Hill and our neighbors own around 60 acres and are corrections officers. They think that they are high and mighty so they act like all the land is theirs so they trespass on our land all the time, and when we want to go on theirs to be "fair" they shoot us down. I just don't understand people nowadays.

Looks like i'm gonna stick with face to face from now on, seems to work best and you know what really gets me, we own property on Tug Hill and our neighbors own around 60 acres and are corrections officers. They think that they are high and mighty so they act like all the land is theirs so they trespass on our land all the time, and when we want to go on theirs to be "fair" they shoot us down. I just don't understand people nowadays.

If they don't want to play fair, no need for you to either. Call the cops and report them. Post signs and make sure you are doing your part to keep out the rude officers.

If you do run into them, be sure to enable GPS geotagging on your camera and take pictures then switch to video on them. Sometimes you need to fight nasty with nasty, mixed in a little intelligence in there sometimes. Hope the real LEO's up there are not corrupt and are in cahoots with these low lives.

Edited by shawnhu

Letters and phone calls don't work ( seldom do) . Face to face works best and trading some work for hunting privileges really helps . Plus , if the owner likes venison , offer him some .

I think some people just type stuff without thinking.

Letters and phone calls CAN work and work well. So can face to face...what you need to know is "communicating to your audience," and combine that with your approach. To generalize an approach as don't work or seldom does, just seems asinine. All of these avenues are going to have high failure rates, but getting one or two YES responses mean it works well imo.

I have permissions from all three avenues (assuming email/letters the same) at the moment.

Edited by phade

It has been very difficult as everything has been no so far, i couldn't tell if it was bs in an email the woman owns 43 acres so i emailed her because the property is for sale, i told her i'd watch over the property for her and maintain it because she lives about 40 minutes away (and the property is right across the road from me) and she said she sees no harm in it but won't allow it because of her current homeowner's policy. So i told her thank you for your consideration and ended it there, oh well now it goes on to the next one.

That's a special case...some people believe a parcel up for sale isn't the place to have a hunter on, because it can introduce risk, prevent a sale, or a mishap, etc.

The other is she's fearful of litigation. Remind her NY allows those who give permission to be protected; however, there's always a "risk" and that sounds like what she is stating.

There's two approaches really - the calculated approach and the spaghetti on the wall approach. I find spaghetti to be a better tactic in most cases, unless I see something special, such as a certain buck, or the lay of the land/proximity, etc.

Sort of like the guy who got the most action with the ladies. Usually it's not the best looking guy...it's often the one who simply asks the most and/or best and is not afraid of rejection. It's really a numbers game. The more you knock/email/call/etc., eventually you will get some decent ground. On the other hand, if something stands out, you make a concerted effort, striking up a conversation.

Edited by phade

I've stopped to four houses. One that I got permission to was right next to my college and is loaded with deer. Guy was super nice and it helped I was also in the army like he was and was glad to let me hunt.

Other two houses the people were not home. The last one I went to was because it is a spot I used to hunt when I was little and has since been sold and bought but the guy is a hunter and I understood being denied but still just gabbed for a bit.

Either way, I find personally just pulling over on my way home from work to a house that looks like an old farm home or land owner and asking may seem scary but the worse they can say is go F off... Or they will let you hunt. Either way its worth a shot! Good luck!

• Like 1