Face to Face Gun Sale Question

Who's done it since the Great One made the changes with the Safe Act?

What was the response from the FFL and how much did they charge?

This is going to be a handgun I'm selling to a friend in Ontario County.  I live in Erie.

Thanks...........

Haven't done it but I have talked to my FFL about it and he gets $35 to do any transfer.  Someone in the shop said "but, but the law says you can only charge $10" and his response was basically -good luck getting someone to do it for that.

I would inquire with your pistol permit office. They let me do a transfer from a friend to me directly through them without a FFL. It maintains its registration through the process. (I actually did it twice).

I was thinking that way also, it was registered and will be registered anyway with the pistol permit people.

I call and confirm on Tuesday.

Haven't done it but I have talked to my FFL about it and he gets $35 to do any transfer.  Someone in the shop said "but, but the law says you can only charge $10" and his response was basically -good luck getting someone to do it for that.

I purchased a shotgun a few months back online and had to ship it to my FFL dealer. He charged me $75 and when I asked him about the $10 max fee he said yes thats true and the rest is my administrative fees. So basically I had to bend over because I went to two other FFL dealers and they didnt even want to do a transfer.

Yup and its going to be that way for a while.There wont be hardly anyone doing transfer in NYS for 10 dollars,if they wanted to really make the safe act work then why couldn't people just go to the State Troopers stations and have them transfered there?Why,because they know its a loosing proposition and it will kill off a few gun shops in the process.F*^& king Cuomo and everyone that stands with him!!

I'm pretty sure the majority of gunshops always charged a fee when they handled gun purchases that required any type of work on their part, mainly guns that needed to be shipped from one FFL holder to another (and not all do this), and I doubt you will see any change in this area............the new problem is, when two guys walk in off the street and want a dealer to devote probably 30-45 minutes of his time doing the paperwork and making the phone calls to do the transfer and all he can charge is $10.00, and for what, to be a record keeper for the state? I don't blame them for refusing to do it.............

I'm pretty sure the majority of gunshops always charged a fee when they handled gun purchases that required any type of work on their part, mainly guns that needed to be shipped from one FFL holder to another (and not all do this), and I doubt you will see any change in this area............the new problem is, when two guys walk in off the street and want a dealer to devote probably 30-45 minutes of his time doing the paperwork and making the phone calls to do the transfer and all he can charge is $10.00, and for what, to be a record keeper for the state? I don't blame them for refusing to do it.............

I agree but it just fries my assssss.....................

I think we have a taker!  I won't mention the name of the shop just yet but we have a plan.

I guess we (me & the seller) will have to meet at the shop (that has funky hours of course) and leave the pistol at the shop after we do the background check on my buddy, the buyer.  After the successful BG check, the gun will stay at the shop until my buddy gets it added to his Ontario County permit.  THEN I take the paper work to Erie County to have it removed from MY permit.

All for the tidy sum of $30

Piece of cake..........................................................................UGGHHHHHHHH 

I think we have a taker!  I won't mention the name of the shop just yet but we have a plan.

I guess we (me & the seller) will have to meet at the shop (that has funky hours of course) and leave the pistol at the shop after we do the background check on my buddy, the buyer.  After the successful BG check, the gun will stay at the shop until my buddy gets it added to his Ontario County permit.  THEN I take the paper work to Erie County to have it removed from MY permit.

All for the tidy sum of $30

Piece of cake..........................................................................UGGHHHHHHHH 

don't you mean $10.00?

don't you mean $10.00?

Ya, $10 + $20=$30

The extra $20 is to rent shelf space while the gun is registered and put on my friends permit.  Should take a day or so........

Call it what you want, I don't think anybody will do it for a ten spot and I don't blame them at this point.

Ya, $10 + $20=$30

The extra $20 is to rent shelf space while the gun is registered and put on my friends permit.  Should take a day or so........

Call it what you want, I don't think anybody will do it for a ten spot and I don't blame them at this point.

as I'm sure you've noticed, there's a lot of people who want to be watchdogs for NYS, I fully agree they should be entitled to charge more..........I would just keep it to myself as I'm sure the gunshop doesn't need publicity as to what may be construed by some as charging more for what they shouldn't be.......

Edited by jjb4900

as I'm sure you've noticed, there's a lot of people who want to be watchdogs for NYS, I fully agree they should be entitled to charge more..........I would just keep it to myself as I'm sure the gunshop doesn't need publicity as to what may be construed by some as charging more for what they shouldn't be.

Gun shop? Hell, we're doing the transfer through a knitting supply store..............

Edited by Lawdwaz