I moved cam....

growalot

Does still kinda skinny, they better fatten up soon :-) Good spot Grow!

Lord knows it's not from a lack of food...all farmers next to us grew oat/red clover and corn...then every thing I put in...power plant ...wht clover...and now the Hr/turnips and the ww/oats I'm getting ready to plant....twins....

Sure is rewarding and makes you feel good to see the critters enjoying the fruits of your labor (and $$)! It's not that they can't survive without it, but it sure makes them healthier, whether it's for milk production, antler growth, growing fawns, preparing for/during winter, etc...

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1

Does still kinda skinny, they better fatten up soon :-) Good spot Grow!

Don't be fooled by those ribs showing. Right now with that summer coat, those ribs are obvious because the thinness of that coat, and also the fact that they are losing some of that hair in preparation for the arrival of the heavier winter coat. We get used to seeing deer looking all fluffed up with those big thick hollow winter hair-pieces. The fact is that they always are kind of a "ribby" critter underneath it all, and that doesn't really indicate a lack of nourishment. Lol ... They never do turn into a fat butterball kind of rig.

Could be a good tactic if you step on a twig during a stalk.... take out a turkey call and do a couple of soft yelps. I don't know if that would work, but it might be worth a try and maybe relax the deer a bit. Anybody ever do that to see what the deer's reaction is?

• Like 1

Interesting side topic here-what is your experience with other critters and deer behavior- are active birds and squirrels a good thing? Part of me says yes since the woods are behaving normally. However, most deer I have seen in the woods is absent of other critters.

Great shots BTW grow.

Edited by crappyice

I routinely make turkey calls while moving in the woods...but squirrels are not a good critter to have around...they will bark up a fury well in advance of your approach ...chipmunks too..DANGER DANGER DANGER....crows will give you away as well...but to that...... I've always said that is you have crows arrive after your settled...bucks will be there soon...at least at camp...it's as if they made a deal with each other...lol