It's never good when the Dr.....

growalot

Starts out with well it's the worse case scenario...lol...

As Mr B is chewing my left ear off...the doc.s in my rt and I'm in the middle of a field filling the tractors gas tank...but then he doesn't say tear...noooo you have a severe tear of your meniscus(sp)..and then something about the back of my knee and all I can come up with is Oh Crap...to which he reply's...Oh yes Ohhh crap!!!...lol ..He is setting me up to see the surgeon immediately...but....still gave me hope on delaying until after bow season...I'm thinking he hasn't figured out how I made it these last 6 months and still worked..

(sp)

Edited by growalot

Grow get it fixed Now,It is not goin to get any better by waiting,I had no choice after I took my foot off of my leg in a bike accident and was in the hospitle for 2 -1/2 months, I missed bow season but Because of my friends being nice, who took me with them during gun season and set me up in a beach chair covered with blankets and a walki talki and rifle  ( I was still in a full cast ) I think that was the best therphy I could have.I had deer walking around me most of the day, no bucks and no doe permit.

I have friend in Colorado in the same boat growie.....He hunted elk this past weekend with the bow and it was painful to say the least.  His Dr is pretty insistent that he gets the surgery done sooner rather than later but he'd sure like to go until the middle of November when all his tags will be punched, hopefully!

Only YOU know what is best for you.  Good luck..................................

• Like 1

Growalot,

My gardener (guy who cuts the grass only, not actual gardener) tore his rotator cuff.  He tried to post-pone surgery until the season is done - Dr says it can't wait and booked his surgery.  So we get his nephew to finish the season.

The doctor is trying to get you fixed before you have a complete tear and can't move it at all.  This will help with the recovery. 

If you tear it up too bad, you will end up in leg cast, then a walking brace, and then finally get to PT.   One of my classmates tore 3 out of 4 tendons and ligaments in his knee.  They had to screw things into place and cast him for 2-3 months.  Then the knee-brace and PT.  Think it took about 5 months after the injury before he was allowed to walk without that knee brace.

Get it fixed.  Someone can toss you on a wagon and take that out to a hunting spot so you don't miss the season entirely.

You can play Queen-bee for the hunt and have someone else do the hard work for you if you have someone around that do this for you.

Sorry to contradict TwoTracks advice.  But, rotator cuff tears and meniscus tears are two entirely different things.  RC tears need to be addressed right away.  Meniscus tears can wait.  And, not all knee surgeries are the same.  Tendon and ligament injuries are also very different from menisucs tears.  You will not be in a cast after meniscus surgery.  In fact, you'll probably walk out of the hospital on the same day with a cane or crutches.  If your surgery involves more than just a meniscus repair/resection, then you may be in for a brace post-op.

Thanks everyone....The Dr just wants to make sure I talk to the surgeon right away...remember I actually did this back in April....He told me that my waiting this long and working all summer didn't cause any more damage ..just kept me in a lot of pain,,,and my waiting now would just mean I'll be resting...for bow season is a time where I'm forced to sit for hours any how..... but will still have the pain...Hell I'm almost use to it now...lol

His calling my cell then the house and then again at 6pm had me a tad worried the day after the test..but he was upfront in saying it is a "Nasty tear"

I have set up some of my big ground brush blinds to be very comfy and near action spots..

I know I'll be holding out...besides...I'm not sure Mr B's prepared for my being off my feet....I have a lot of prepping to do to keep things flowing around here ... ;)

It's a coin toss Grow . Suffer the physical pain or suffer the mental pain of not being in the woods for deer season . I suffered the physical pain and then had my knee replacement in the spring . That gave me over 6 months to get the knee in shape for the next season . Do what ya gotta do !

• Like 1

get the surgery man, the shoulder is a baby and needs to be cared of very carefully. once it goes, it never comes back 100%. just like the knees, ive done Brazilian ju jitsu for a long time and my shoulders still arent the same even though i have stopped and hod some work done on them. its just not worth it.