Backyard bow target practice

damore81

I often see people shooting in their backyards. You really don't know what could happen. 1 freak shot that skips off the target and goes flying into another backyard. I know most guys are safe but sorry won't cut it if something horrible happens.

Few years back, a woman was shot with an arrow in the Bronx. I recall it was an accident from someone practicing in their back yard as well.

In my area the legal distance is beyond the state maintained portion of the highway, The other side of the ditch or telephones, If none of them are apparent the salt line is used, The dwelling rule is only in effect unless you have permission from the dwelling owner, if the dwelling owner says you can sit on the front porch then you can sit on the front porch,  but make sure you have it in writing :)

Discharge of Firearms and Bows

For information on where various legal implements may be used in the state, see Rifle, Shotgun, and Bow Areas.

It is illegal to discharge a firearm or bow:

• so that the load or arrow passes over any part of a public highway,
  • within 500 feet of any school, playground, or an occupied factory or church,
  • within 500 feet of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent.
  • You may hunt waterfowl, over water, within 500 feet of a dwelling or public structure as long as neither are within 500 feet in the direction you are shooting.

For the purpose of these laws, definitions are as follows:

Dwelling houses -- a permanent place where people live and sleep. Excluded are temporary residential units including camping trailers, motor homes or other portable shelters. Also excluded are abandoned dwellings, detached garages, tree houses, "playscapes", decks, pool areas, storage sheds and out-buildings - even when/if they are temporarily occupied. A permanent camp or cabin may qualify as a "dwelling house".

Farm building, farm structure that is either occupied or used -- these structures are largely determined on a case-by-case basis. To qualify, the premises alleged to be a farm must be utilized principally for agricultural production for commercial purposes, including but not limited to crops, fruit, hay, livestock, production of dairy products, nurseries/greenhouses. There is no minimum number of acres that must be either owned or farmed to qualify. To receive protection the farm building or farm structure must be either occupied by people or livestock or used in some, even small, degree for storage of farm related tools, equipment or livestock. Excluded would be structures and out-buildings on acreage or lands that are not a "farm" even if they are temporarily occupied.

School building, school playground -- a school building is any building owned by a school district. A school playground is interpreted to mean any area that is maintained by the school including mowed lawns and fields, athletic fields, playgrounds, and/or other areas where students engage in school sponsored activities. Excluded are school parking lots. A maintenance building or bus garage owned by a school district is not a "school building" but would be a "factory" as discussed below.

Factory or church -- A factory is interpreted to mean any building or structure used for commercial purposes. The discharge of a firearm or longbow within 500 feet of a factory or church is prohibited only when such building is occupied at the time of discharge.

I have nobody behind me only houses are on the sides which i have 6ft pvc fencing all around so that is the only reason I would consider practicing in the direction of the back of my house with appropriate back stops of course. So my interpretation of any laws documented is that as long as I have permission from owners around me then I would be allowed to shoot my bow.  Correct me if I am wrong.

The only archery range that I know of on Staten Island requires mandatory volunteer work along with a $300 membership which I am not fond of nor do I have time for the volunteer work unfortunately especially if I am paying a healthy membership fee. So I really dont have much practicing options except for when I go up to my hutning property.

If there is anybody from my area with alternative ideas please fill me in.

I drive about an hr most of the time to shoot. It's not cheap either, I could spend 20-30 a day just on range time.

There's two options in Queens and one in Brooklyn. There's Pro Lines in Ozone Park and also Queens Archery. I recommend Pro Lines as its an all day range fee, shoot from open to close, 20 yards max, indoor.

Then there's Brooklyn, Floyd Bennett Field. Pay a yearly fee per car and have access to their archery range, outdoor. Bring your own targets, or use their beat up ones. $40 per year seems like the number.

Hope you find something that works for you.

I drive about an hr most of the time to shoot. It's not cheap either, I could spend 20-30 a day just on range time.

There's two options in Queens and one in Brooklyn. There's Pro Lines in Ozone Park and also Queens Archery. I recommend Pro Lines as its an all day range fee, shoot from open to close, 20 yards max, indoor.

Then there's Brooklyn, Floyd Bennett Field. Pay a yearly fee per car and have access to their archery range, outdoor. Bring your own targets, or use their beat up ones. $40 per year seems like the number.

Hope you find something that works for you.

I have been to Pro line and they are great but they are about 45 minutes away from me with no traffic, Queens archery even further. I was hoping to find a place close to home or work so I can drop in for an hour or so in the evening after work.

I have heard about the range at Floyd Bennet Field but never checked it out. Thanks for reminding me. That may be an option for nice days. I believe there is an outdoor range by me in Staten Island also but I read a few blogs that says it doubles as a dog park when no archers are using it so not really sure what to think about that.

I understand that some of the urban and suburban archers can have some difficulty finding places to shoot. But I will say that some of the most enjoyable shooting and intense practice was had when I had to drive 35 miles each way to get to our club (Avon Bowmen). It is one thing to step out in the range behind my house and shoot by myself. But it was a whole lot more fun to go to the club and shoot with a bunch of friends and get involved in some friendly competition. So you guys that are forced to drive a bit to get to a range or an indoor shooting facility, may just be being forced to have some of the more memorable shooting experiences that you will ever have. Don't fight it ..... enjoy it.