NYSDEC Commisioner Grannis

wztirem

No, I didn't hear the news. When was this announced?  Being a guy from the big city he probably didn't care too much about hunting, but I honestly don't think he did anything to hurt hunting in New York either.  He probably wasn't the best commissioner but I don't think he was the worst either.  Some hunters will complain about him basically because he is a liberal appointed by a liberal Governor, but in all honesty I never detected any real anti-hunting agenda under his reign like some were predicting.

Just googled his firing and found out why he was being fired.  Actually I think Grannis was spot on in his opinion that further cuts to DEC staff would be detrimental to the state.  I realize that the state is in a financial mess, and DEC cuts were inevitable, but how can a smaller DEC staff be good for our states natural resources??

I am not sure about the DEC's funding sources, but I know that in Pa., since Goddard's time as commissioner there, a portion of the revenue from natural resources, funded the department. I would think that when Marcellus drilling starts in NYS,...and it surely will, a portion of the revenues should pay for the ongoing DEC  EIS and GIS studies, remediation, DEC personnel, etc.

It comes to me as no surprise that he was fired. Undoubtedly, other agency heads will enevitably suffer a similiar fate. Such individuals are political appointees and will be replaced by the newly elected governor as a form of reward and political payback. Rarely if ever are appointees to such posts given such jobs based upon experience and competence.

The DEC is no different from any other State Agency faced with budget cuts, insufficient operating funds and looming layoffs.

Patterson is probably not done ridding the state of Spitzer appointees in a preparation to the new governor taking office. I am sure the die is already cast and Patterson being a loyal soldier of the Democratic party will make some controversial decisions and readily take all the heat while accepting and enjoying a generous pension. Its politics afterall.

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 12:18 PM

To:  [email protected]

Subject: Message from President Howard Cushing  regarding Pete Grannis  I am sure most of you  know by now that Governor Paterson has dismissed Commissioner Pete Grannis.    Most of the issues surrounding this latest development within DEC stem from  Commissioner Grannis’ willingness to stand up to the Governor and tell the truth  about cutbacks and layoffs requested by the Governor and how they would impact  the agency.  Although times are tough, there is a very real possibility that DEC  will be gutted or worthless should all the cutbacks and changes come to pass.

I have a very deep  concern that the Department of Budget or the Governor will be looking at the  Conservation Fund as a cash cow; and if they think they are going to touch the  Conservation Fund under my watch, they are underestimating the lengths I and the  Council will go to not to let that happen.  If necessary, we will file a lawsuit  to keep the Conservation Fund intact and do whatever needs to be done to protect  it.  I hope you will support us in these efforts.

"The immediate cause was the leak of a memo, sent by DEC to the Budget Division, that laid out in stark terms the possible consequences of the planned layoffs of more than 200 agency employees.  The unsigned, undated memo -- the subject of a front-page story in Tuesday's Times Union -- warned that fewer polluted sites would be cleaned up, fewer regulators would be available to oversee the potential natural gas drilling boom in the Marcellus Shale, and stocking of game fish could halt."

------------------------------------------------------------

Well, there you have it. Somebody leaked the memo that explained what the results of the on-going Paterson dismantling of the DEC. Had this story not been leaked, I'm sure the whole situation could have been forced under control and Grannis would have been back in a properly muzzled condition.

My only question about all this is where has all this Grannis "back-talk" been during all the previous, more severe, hack-jobs on the DEC that have been going on since Paterson assumed the governorship? Was the end to his silence because he no longer could quietly get away from shuffling resources from fish and game activities to his more favored environmental activities without public notice? I will give him credit for finally speaking up, even though it appears that it was an accident. But where was all this concern for all the other slashes, when the cutting was primarily in the areas of fish and game?

At any rate, it appears that the heat is on the issue ...... finally. Just the other night as I was listening to the debate among the candidates for governor, I was amazed to hear several of the participants mention the horrible deteriorated state of the DEC and the fact that they have been rendered completely inneffective. And now we have this development which is causing some heavy-duty piling on by environmental groups. So, within just a couple of days, there has finally been some very high-profile, super public, attention brought to bear on the dismantling of the DEC. That's good news ..... I think. I think that the state spending has to be curtailed on all fronts, but I do not want to see the DEC take on the lion's share of all of that simply because they are an easy mark. And so far, up until the last couple of days, it appears that they have been a very easy mark.

Doc

The question to ask is:

Where were all the sportsmen while this was going on the last 40 years?

:O

The CFAB has raised the red flag many times over the years. 

It's been on going of for some time now~ I sat in a meeting sportsman's  last week and a guy asked Senator Mike Nozzolio if he was a Dem or Rep. I almost bit my lip off no responding. 

The question to ask is:

Where were all the sportsmen while this was going on the last 40 years?

:O

The CFAB has raised the red flag many times over the years. 

It's been on going of for some time now~ I sat in a meeting sportsman's  last week and a guy asked Senator Mike Nozzolio if he was a Dem or Rep. I almost bit my lip off no responding.

An excellent question! A bit more recently than 40 years, the New York Outdoor News has highlighted numerous articles detailing the deep cuts dictated by Paterson, so it has not really been a secret. And even today, with the latest Grannis developments, it is the environmentalists and the "greenies" that are raising heck about the situation. I haven't heard any sportsmen making a sound so far.

So, when you ask where were the sportsmen while all this was going on, I don't have an answer.

Doc

That memo didn't say anything that Grannis hadn't already said to the Conservation Council at the September meeting, and probably other places as well. Who knows what Larry Schwartz was thinking--probably that he can save two months' of Grannis salary--not insignificant.  It was a "principled" stand on Grannis' part, but not very costly to him--he was planning on leaving at the start of the new administration.  

Meanwhile, Howie Cushing (NYCC president) has already met with the deputy commisioner who will be in charge for now, Peter Iwanowicz.  

"President Cushing has been in contact with the newly-appointed DEC Commissioner, Peter Iwanowicz, and has discussed issues concerning sportsmen with him.  A follow-up meeting is scheduled for later this week at the DEC office in Albany.  If you have any concerns that you would like addressed in upcoming meetings, please contact" Howie

Anyone know anything about [/size]Peter Iwanowicz?

Peter M. Iwanowicz is the Director of the New York State Climate Change Office at the Department of Environmental Conservation in Albany, New York. ...

weact.org/Programs/.../PeterIwanowicz/tabid/.../Default.aspx - Cached - Similar    "You dont need a weatherman to tell which way the wind is blowing"     

WOW ~

Peter Iwanowicz

Peter M. Iwanowicz is the Director of the New York State Climate Change Office at the Department of Environmental Conservation in Albany, New York.  Peter’s responsibilities include overseeing the Department’s involvement in the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, including serving as the chair of the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative’s Auction Committee. In addition, Peter is the New York State representative to the International Carbon Action Partnership.  Before joining the state, Peter most recently served as Vice President for the American Lung Association of New York State, where he directed the association’s advocacy efforts.  Peter has also worked for the San Francisco-based Resource Renewal Institute promoting sustainability policies in New York State and also worked for Albany, New York based Environmental Advocates of New York. At EA-NY, Peter lead the organization’s clean air and clean energy policy work.  Peter graduated from Siena College and he lives in the Albany area with his wife and two children.

A former USFW director told a group of sporting association leaders in 2004 we wern't showng up when needed.

A few years earlier a former HSUS VP told me and others sportsmen were going to have their ass's handed to  them in 4 years.

A DEC employee told trappers they needed to get with it in 2004.

I was told about 15 years ago by a DEC employee the S was gonna hit the fan in a few years.

Hang on boys! Cause the newest money grab scheme is about to take off with your cash. You ain't seen no fraud like the green movement will bring to the table.

You can kiss what's left of any industry in NY good-by.