My Treestand Fall.....

Cabin Fever

The foot looks bad but like you said very lucky.

About 15ys ago I was fearless I like to be where the Big Buck were, and would get A setup no matter what height I liked 20' or better. Well right before Bow season I was getting stands set after I scouted, picked a ridge. My dad would come along and cut some small stuff that was in my way. I get about 25' because the back side would be at 15' front a good 25'. I was kicking in the lock on and down it went, fell in a sitting position one cut branch stuck in my butt cheek, put I could not feel from my waist down. My dad could not help me I 6' 220lbs so I crawl out with so help. I did get the Feeling back and I am ok today. I no longer care how high its where I place them, I wear a harness all the time now. If I had been alone which is 100% of the time without help I don't think I would of made it. Another big mistake I never tell anyone where I'll be. So Now when I heads out I leave a note where I'll be, wear a Harness, and I don't go high & mange to stick Deer. Safety 1st I wish everyone a Safe and successful season.

I have taken the ultimate precaution. I hunt from the ground .... lol. But in all honesty I have to admit that it really is not due to a fear of falling. I simply have that psychological "heights" thing. Vertigo I believe it is called. However, in the last 20 years or so since I have come down of of the trees, I will say that I haven't missed it a bit. The handicap of facing the critters on the ground, face-to-face really hasn't been all that noticeable. I know a lot of people can't even fathom hunting deer from the ground, but having done both, I will tell you there is no more exciting way to hunt.

• Like 1

The most inportant post this year! Thanks Cabin.

And remember people, treestand saftey harnesses and ropes have a shelf life. Replace every 5 years under " Normal Use."

Extreme conditions like mine, I go with 3 years. And make sure, you destroy your old, so someone else doesn't use.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

pawle76, on 19 Sept 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

I applaud your effort to help other hunters learn from your mistake. This is a very worthwhile topic to talk about as we all know every season comes with many horror stories of hunters meeting their untimely death because of something so simple as a Quality safety harness.

I have to admit, I feel stupid bringing it up to people sometimes, as I know it was my own fault and 100% preventable. Kind of like people getting hurt in an auto accident that didn't have their seatbelt on! Well, DUHHH!! I sat with my daughter through her hunters safety course and felt like crawling under the table when the instructor brought up the importance of wearing a safety harness while hunting from a stand! I should have spoken up, as I might have saved someones life someday, but I just hung my head feeling like a dumb ass. I guess, I just hope I can save someone on the forum from going through what I (and my family) have gone through, because of my negligence stupidity. My daily pain reminds me of it and that it could have been MUCH MUCH worse...

Ya' know, I might just talk to some hunter and bow hunter safety instructors in the area, tell them my story, and offer to share with their classes, if they would like. Something I could do to give back and maybe save a life, if their parents don't have sense enough to get the kids safety harnesses on their own or even if a new adult hunter that is unfamiliar with them.

• Like 1

Hey Elmo, didn't you have a stand failure last year? or was it some else.

Yes I did. I was wearing a harness but the fall happened right when I removed it from the tree trunk so I can latch it on a part of the trunk that was above a branch. 2 mistakes I made. First was climbing a tree not ideal for climbers due to its smooth surface. Second was I was standing too close to the trunk so I didn't have maximum tension. Lucky for me, the worst I got was a large scrape on my chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes I did. I was wearing a harness but the fall happened right when I removed it from the tree trunk so I can latch it on a part of the trunk that was above a branch. 2 mistakes I made. First was climbing a tree not ideal for climbers due to its smooth surface. Second was I was standing too close to the trunk so I didn't have maximum tension. Lucky for me, the worst I got was a large scrape on my chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes I remember the story now, harrowing to say the least.

Just picked up my kids at the x's house. Her boyfriend told me one of his workers was testing out a new stand in the backyard. 

(This is on Long Island) He wasn't strapped in and fell 20 feet. Broke his back and shoulder. Be careful guys!

OMG that sucks! So sad.... and preventable....

I just purchased a comfort zone deluxe ladder stand which is 7 feet higher than my other stand and very top heavy. once I got everything secure and tight I noticed there was alittle flex in the 1st part of the ladder but once I reached the support from the ladder to the tree the flex was gone from there on up. With the taller ladder stands is this normal and safe? I always have my HSS on but im not sure if I should add a ratchet strap or 2 for alittle extra support. Thanks for any input im still learning new things each year with hunting..