Big Boy FINALLY Shows Up!!

Cabin Fever

I posted pics of this buck back in early August. I got 200+ pics of him, passing by a couple of my stands and even within ~40 yards of the cabin! The, he disappeared after 8/22.

I checked my cams this morning. One cam is over a mock scrape that I made last week. I looked at the scrape today and there was a BIG track in it! As I pulled the card out of the cam, I had hopes it was of the elusive big boy's track.

Popped the card into the PC when I got home and WHALLA! FINALLY!! The pics were taken this morning at 2:30am. I was pulling into camp at 6am! Gives me hope that our paths may cross sometime this fall!

post-748-131455360184_thumb.jpg

post-748-131455360187_thumb.jpg

post-748-131455360194_thumb.jpg

post-748-13145536021_thumb.jpg

I made a half assed mock scrape opeining weekend when leaving my final sit just scraped some leaves away spray some doe urine(all i had) and some of my own urine (shits and giggles) then spray an overhanging branch heading up early tom am if theres no leaves then succes if theres leaves nothing lost how did you make your mock scrape?

I was comparing the velvet pics (taken on 8/1) with the most recent pics. It doesn't look like he grew at all or very little between 8/1 and early Sept, when they rubbed out! I had always heard and read that they continue growing up until they shed their velvet.? It's NOT just this one that I've noticed this with, but all bucks, big and small. I made the same comment regarding some small bucks that I was getting pics of all summer long this year also.

I made a half assed mock scrape opeining weekend when leaving my final sit just scraped some leaves away spray some doe urine(all i had) and some of my own urine (shits and giggles) then spray an overhanging branch heading up early tom am if theres no leaves then succes if theres leaves nothing lost how did you make your mock scrape?

That's pretty much what I do. I just pick a spot, close to my treestands, that looks good to me (ie. along a trail, 4 wheeler path, logging road, along a field edge), make sure there is an overhanging branch, clear the leaves/debris with my foot, and give it a squirt! I try to "budget" by bladder contents, depending on how many scrapes I have to make or freshen! This pic is proof that it's not just the dumb young bucks that fall for the "human-urine-in-the-scrape" trick! Don't know if you saw another post that I made, but 3hrs before this buck showed up, a coyote was taking a squirt in this same scrape! THAT surprised me more, as wary as coyotes are! Some scrapes will be completely taken over by the bucks and I won't have to do anything else. I've created scrapes in some spots that have become so popular, that bucks will open them up the following year in that spot themselves!

Hey cabin, all I have to say is that buck is HUGE......Good luck getting him. I have a question, I'm always curious to know that if a buck of that caliber shows up is it that you and the people around you have allowed a younger buck to grow? Have you seen this buck prior to this past summer? Or did this buck just show up this year? The reason I ask is that with all the mgt. tools (i.e..food plots, letting young buck go etc...) available to us there always seems to be these huge bucks that show up out of no where. I personally never count on the inventory of bucks on my property as I know the rut will bring outsiders in and new bucks will show...

I'm not 100% sure if he is one that was around last fall or not. I got a buck on video that was very close to this bucks size. If I had to put money on it, I would bet it was NOT the same buck. "If" it is the same buck, I don't think he grew like I would have expected him to at this age class. BUT, it has been in the back of my mind...

What do you think?

IM000660.AVI