2013 HNY Gun Hunting Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Heres my 2013 Regular season buck! Hes not the big boy I was after, but Im happy with him and have a good story to go with him. Earlier this year at work, I met a girl, Sara, that is from Cypress and goes to one of the local colleges. She was doing an internship at one of my client's offices. We developed a good friendship, and in talking, I mentioned to her that I hunt. She told me she has always wanted to go hunting, and that she was thinking of getting her safety course done and buying her license this year. I helped her with all of the info she needed, but she never had a chance to take the course, with her busy schedule. A coupl of weeks ago, I was talking to her and asked if she would like to come along with me on a hunt this week, since I was on vacation, and she had Thanksgiving break from school. She said yes, and we planned it for this morning. She got to my place at 5:30 this morning, and I got the truck loaded up and we headed out. We were in my newly placed double ladder stand before daylight and sat there talking a bit and enjoying the woods, and great scenery. Around 9:30, my hunting partner, Mark, gave me a call and told me he was going to do a still hunt, and asked where Id like him to go, so if he bumped anything out, it might head toward us. I told him where I thought would work well and he said he would see us soon. I explained to Sara what was going to happen, and told her that if Mark disturbed any deer, they would either go one of two ways. One way would put them right in our laps. Less than 10 minutes later, I see a deer heading across the field, right toward us, so I nudged Sara to show her the deer. I decided that unless it was a small buck, I would take the deer if given the chance. As it crossed the field, I noticed it had a very nice, big body, so we watched as it approached the edge of the woods. It stopped before entering the woods, and stood there, looking around. As it entered the wood line, I noticed it had a rack, so I put my scope on him and saw he was outside the ears. That was the last I looked at his rack, and I looked his body over. He was a tank, so I started concentrating on a shot. He got onto a horse trail that goes by my stand at 30 yards and started trotting toward us. I got my gun ready, and accidentally made a noise on the blind material. He stood there looking at us, with his vitals behind a tree. After 30 seconds or so, he continued down the trail and I got my muzzle loader in position for a shot in the first shooting lane. As he stepped into the lane, I gave him a quick "mehhh" and he stopped, slightly quartering to us. I put my crosshair right on the front of his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I heard the impact and he dropped his tail and head and started on a dead run. After giving him 2 hours, and a 100 - 125 yard track, we found him piled up in the old apple orchard. Hes a great 2 1/2 year old with 8 scorable points, but he has a 9h small point and you can see where a 10th small one had broken off.

1003562_770461552981062_1845527586_n_zps

902003_770508832976334_1930576603_o_zps2

1463080_770508829643001_723365250_n_zps9

BTW, I have a ton of trail cam pics of this deer, including a series of him fighting with another buck. Ill post those in my hunting journal later on today.

• Like 17

After a fruitful bow season I had a relatively good gun season.

11/16 AM: post-1622-13865394541002_thumb.jpg

11/25 PM:

post-1622-13865395001945_thumb.jpg

12/02 AM:

post-1622-13865395985279_thumb.jpg

With my 4 archery harvests 2013 provided a personal best of 7 harvested deer, including a mature archery buck.

I still have my reg tag to use on either sex for the late bow season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager
  • Like 4

While I had been holding out for those yummy horns (and still am), I had never taken a deer with my CVA Optima. It's fitted with a nice Nikon 3to9, but I didn't really need it during this hunt. Had 7 deer (2 bb's and 5 doe) come in to feed on the apples as they have been all season. All season I've let them walk, hoping that just once one of the nice bucks I had on my cams would be in tow. I took the largest. She weighed in at 111 lbs. dressed, but looks bigger hanging. She will taste great.

I have not shot a doe in over 5 years, and to see 2 of this year's drops (healthy size) come back and walk around the body was a little tough to watch. 10 yards in the heart. She went 20 yards stopped... i thought i missed. Stood there for 10 seconds, then took one bound and collapsed. I waited about an hour as the 2 deer I mentioned came back and then bedded down nearby. As I was gutting her they had come in even closer and were blowing at me. Maybe a reminder why I don't like shooting the moms :(

photo_zpsb46b0f6e.jpg

001_zps9d27931b.jpg

• Like 9

Took a day from buck hunting to fill a DMP tag on the last day of regular season... nice two man hunt planned by my good friend... his smile was priceless as he approached me after the kill... " I love when a plan comes together" were his first words to me then a hand shake... first hunt of the day and some venison to share... the deer was just a bonus to a great time hunting with a close friend.

post-525-0-50039400-1386981474_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

A couple doe from the second weekend............

null_zps41b23054.jpg

9pt last Saturday..........

IMG_5181_zpsa6d317a4.jpg

An 8pt that came by prior to the 9pt........

null_zps4fe632c6.jpg

I shot these deer plus a doe in PA this past Monday with the .243 and 80gr Barnes TTSX bullets.

I think you got your pictures inverted somehow; your bolt's on backwards. ;):P

Your nice 9 reminds me of the one my brother got a few yeards back.  Very similar looking.

Edited by covert