OK time for a little intervention!!!

MACHINIST

I have seen a few thread that are "would you shoot this buck".While I love to see all the bucks,whether they are big,medium or small.Who cares!!!! If a certain buck walks in and you like him.....shoot him,if he walks in and he doesn't do it for you....let him live for someone else or another year.While I know you cant shoot trophies if you shoot small one,I also know that you have to keep the fire burning to shoot one.Basically is what I am saying is shoot what you like,don't listen to anyone else saying "He's not 3 or 4 or 5 years old let him walk".Do what makes you happy,its your tag,time,meat,antler and your hunt.I don't want to step on anyones toes and I love seeing and shooting big deer but its the experience in the woods that does it for me.My best days in the deer woods don't revolve around many big deer.Have fun...be safe... and shoot what trips your trigger!!SOrry if I have offended anyone,thats not my aim here.

• Like 16

I have seen a few thread that are "would you shoot this buck".While I love to see all the bucks,whether they are big,medium or small.Who cares!!!! If a certain buck walks in and you like him.....shoot him,if he walks in and he doesn't do it for you....let him live for someone else or another year.While I know you cant shoot trophies if you shoot small one,I also know that you have to keep the fire burning to shoot one.Basically is what I am saying is shoot what you like,don't listen to anyone else saying "He's not 3 or 4 or 5 years old let him walk".Do what makes you happy,its your tag,time,meat,antler and your hunt.I don't want to step on anyones toes and I love seeing and shooting big deer but its the experience in the woods that does it for me.My best days in the deer woods don't revolve around many big deer.Have fun...be safe... and shoot what trips your trigger!!SOrry if I have offended anyone,thats not my aim here.

I can't help but to agree with you however I was just asking the opinions of the members here as to whether or not they will shoot him I know what I would do I would shoot but there's a little bit of curiosity inside me that says what if I let him live another year how much bigger would he get would he grow to maybe 10 will he be a12 pt. how much mass would he potentially get. Part of human nature to be curious. Anything with antlers tickles me but there is always that what if....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ever since they have started measuring hunting success with numbers, it seems like a lot of the fun of hunting has disappeared. Particularly bow hunting. I remember back in the early 60's, I used to come into work on Monday morning, and a bunch of us Actually a pretty large bunch) always gathered around the break area talking about the weekend hunt. A lot of time the discussion was simply about how somebody saw a deer. And maybe somebody else might chime in about how they almost got a shot. That was some pretty exciting stuff. The conversation really got lively when somebody actually took a shot. It seldom was even about bucks. Didn't matter. If somebody actually got a deer, every little tiny detail was discussed. People were really interested in the whole story which usually was told with the maximum drama possible .... lol. But these break area war stories usually continued until somebody came around and sent us back to work ... lol.

Flash forward to today .... Try mentioning that you saw a deer ... nobody cares. You took a shot ..... ho-hum. The only thing that gets any interest anymore is if you actually got one. The first question is, "What did it score"? Low score - low interest. Heaven forbid if you only took a doe. All of a sudden the topic changes to the weather or some other non-hunting thing.

People have gotten so hung-up on the numbers game in their deer hunting that they have gotten tunnel vision. And in my opinion, they have lost sight of the values in hunting that made it my prime pastime all these years.

• Like 2

I have to agree with Doc. Hunting has changed alot in last 20 years,I think a lot of it is hunting shows on tv. They make it look so easy, yet they fail to mention that nobody else hunts there, only them.They buy up all the land so no one else can hunt it unless you come up with the money.There is nothing wrong with shooting spikehorns if you are happy with that.Just because you pass up smaller bucks dont make you any better. Some of us dont have the deer available to pass up.I am 64 years old now. I have shot 33 bucks in my lifetime. Yes some where spikehorns, but I still enjoyed the hunt.Try hunting state or public land and see how it is.If you have your own private preserve where no one else hunts then, that changes things quite a bit.

Asking for opinions is a good thing, lets you know if your decide to pass it that maybe others would as well, after taking a lot of deer my interests have changed where I am getting more enjoyment in scouting and making set ups for others to use, and am estatic when they connect. unfortunately it seems true 10% of hunters take 90% of the game. little knowledge or help is passed on to new .inexperienced hunters. so they turn to media and become experts by watching hunting shows and whitetail, then they tell you how nys can have bucks like the Midwest!! While they themselves have harvested under 20 deer in their lifetime. and the progression of learning to fill tags/becoming more selective in harvest and weapon used / to passing on the knowledge you aquired in a lifetime is broken . I haven't seen a hunting show that shows scouting and how they decided to hang the stand since the late 80's early 90's ..its all become about the harvest and look how big. so younger(not age experience)hunters think that's all there is to it. BY the way the rule on my place is shoot it if your happy with it just don't complain or whine when someone shoots something bigger. its fun watching friends become more and more selective as the years go by, even the meat hunters in camp have figured out a 4.5 year old gives a lot more meat than a 1.5...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

G man is right asking for others opinions is fine. I would shoot the buck that I posted in my thread in late muzzleloader season if something bigger did not come during regular season. setting goals for yourself is not a bad thing. if you're into that if not then just get your meat andFill the freezer I like to do both I am the only one in my family that eats the meat so I'm able to set higher goals or standards while still trying to fill my freezer. I like to try and set my own personal AR's I usually base it in the amount of points but that also depends on the age and size of the deer's body (for the meat) my main goal was to learn more of what the other more experienced hunters think and then compare what they say to what I think. I don't consider myself a newbie but I am certainly not a veteran hunter. Out of the 8 years I've been hunting I have shot 2 bucks ( a spike and an 8) and 4 doe I had 2 years without any harvest at all. Due to myself implementing my own AR so I can get myself a wall mount which a met that goal with last years 8pt. I am a gun hunter and enjoy that the most. It is way more easier than bow but that's my preference. Knowledge is all I'm after!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

setting goals for yourself is not a bad thing.

You're right, and as the thread on "this year's goals" shows, antler size is not always the criteria for goals being met. There really is so much more to the hunting experience. But these goals are such a specialized and personalized thing that I really doubt that anyone is all that interested except for the one setting the goals themselves.

"We don't shoot anything smaller than a 8 point, I would not have shot that deer."  If you hear this said to any successful hunter, that person is a jerk.  Just because some have "standards" they use to judge what is worthy of shooting does not mean we all have to follow or agree.  The watering down of hunting through TV is a travesty.  While personally I consider myself a trophy hunter, I still slap the back of EVERY successful hunter I meet no mater what they take.  I am always interested in any hunting story, I do not care if this was a first hunt ever for that person or they have been doing it for 50+ years.  (They all have a story to tell and something for us all to learn...) 

The other thing I have learned over the years is you do not have to take a big buck to be a great hunter or be knowledgeable about how to hunt...  You do not have to take one every year to prove you can hunt...  Plus I am feed up with scores...  The only score I need is points and weight...  8 pt 207 lbs is the only score needed Buck 0 Me 1...  The score so far is Jeff 2, ADK bucks 3.  I wish it was Jeff 5, ADK bucks 0 but then I would not have the drive that got me the brute in 2010...  Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and my 2 ADK bucks on my wall are the 2 most memorable times in my life and 2 of the best looking things in my house...  Enjoy your time in the woods and your prey that survives our harsh environment just like our short lives they are gifts to cherish no matter how big or small!!! 

This will be the first year I will actively target doe on LI, see if I can actually pull the trigger on one this year...  With my luck this will be the first year I do not have any shot on one...  Arg...  Contemplating lowering my standards for the ADK as sightings are so rare where I hunt...  Wonder if I will ever shake the big buck attraction?  Probably not...  Hope to capture the ones I let go with the GoPro...

Speaking of stirring the pot ... lol.

I have to wonder how many of these super trophy hunters use the excuse that they're waiting for the big one simply because they have trouble connecting on any deer?

Ok time to take cover ...... lol. Sorry the devil mad me do it. :devil: