Winchester 100

ants

I have a chance to buy one for less than $300. Its a semi auto with a 4 shot mag. .308 cal & has a fixed 4 power Weaver scope. Its in pretty good shape. Some Knicks and scratches on the stock but the bluing and bore are real good. The old timer who owned it killed a pile of deer with it. He bought it back in the 60's. They stopped making them sometime in the 70's.

Are these good rifles or were they junk? I don't need another rifle (what did I just say ??!!!)  Just wondering.

from what i have seen w/ guys i hunt with use them in .308 and kill deer no problems. but i have heard [not seen ] jamming problems that why they discontuied the line they made a lever verison model 88 but discontued that too.   just remember if you need parts their hard to come by

Buy it...I didn't think any 100s or 88s were made after '64, but just checked my Blue Book and they were discontinued in 1973. Pre-64 would be a bonus, of course.

If the scope is a Weaver El Paso K4, it's also a great scope.

Edited by Pygmy

Buy it...I didn't think any 100s or 88s were made after '64, but just checked my Blue Book and they were discontinued in 1973. Pre-64 would be a bonus, of course.

If the scope is a Weaver El Paso K4, it's also a great scope.

From the research I have done(I am a new Winchester 100 owner myself) they were made into the 70's in 308.They also made a .243 version and a .284 which is more sought after and a little more rare.

I bet the on Im looking at is pre-64. Im seeing mixed reviews on line but I might grab it anyway, pending a little more research.

pretty sure there was a firing pin issue that generated a recall at some point, not sure what years were affected.......for under $300 I'd buy it.

pretty sure there was a firing pin issue that generated a recall at some point, not sure what years were affected.......for under $300 I'd buy it.

Yeah....I looked into it and there was a recall on the firing pin but Winchester will send you a new pin free. I would just have to pay to have it installed, Can't cost that much......

even if it "could" go full auto it couldnt do much damage w a 4 round mag

it wasn't a matter of it turning into a machine gun, it was a matter of the firing pin breaking and lodging in the boltface, causing it to slam fire before the bolt locked up or even fully closed, and  could become a bomb next to your face   :)

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just picked up a Model 100 in .284 a couple weeks ago.  Swapped my Colt 1991A1 for it and two boxes of shells.  Now I need to get a set of dies because I'm almost out of ammo already! :) 

Came with a Weaver base but I'm not sure if I want to scope it.  I'm thinking since it's factory drilled and tapped for a peep I may go that route instead.  If I do scope it I'm thinking something like a

1.5 - 3X with the widest field of view I can get.  I'll mainly only use it in the Adirondacks where shots are close anyway.

I know this is an old thread but I just picked up a Model 100 in .284 a couple weeks ago.  Swapped my Colt 1991A1 for it and two boxes of shells.  Now I need to get a set of dies because I'm almost out of ammo already! :)

Came with a Weaver base but I'm not sure if I want to scope it.  I'm thinking since it's factory drilled and tapped for a peep I may go that route instead.  If I do scope it I'm thinking something like a

1.5 - 3X with the widest field of view I can get.  I'll mainly only use it in the Adirondacks where shots are close anyway.

Good set up. The 284 is one of the rarer cals. for that rifle. .308 was most common.

Good set up. The 284 is one of the rarer cals. for that rifle. .308 was most common.

That's pretty much why I wanted it too.  I've never had a burning desire for a Model 100 itself, it was mostly the unobtainable, expensive cartridge it was chambered in that piqued my interest!  My wife says I'm nuts, I prefer eccentric. ;) 

To me the whole thing that makes it interesting is that any goober can't just stroll into Wally World and grab a box off the shelf.

if it's pre 64, it's probably worth a bit more than you're paying for it...........[/quot

Quite a bit more....I traded a Rem Mdl 700 in 30-06 with a Nikon for a Win Mdl 88 in .243 that was in great shape. Running the Ser # I found the gun was made in 1957. I walked into a gun store that deals with older guns and mentioned 1957 Mdl 88 & the guy immediately said he would pay $1000-1600 depending on condition. I have since topped with a Leupold VX 3 2.5 x 8 and it sits very nice in my safe but extremely accurate @ 100.... Never pushed it further ... It's also the gun my better half likes to miss bucks with.... Spare mag alone for the 88 is 100 bucks...I would snatch it up if the bore is good

Paid 250 for the 700 & 200 for the scope so I am sitting pretty

Edited by Hardcore