NY Cops May Be Against Your Gun Rights

not sure I would congratulate this officer for a good job, I would hope both your and my tax dollars spent on his salary would utilize his time for crimes requiring an armed officer, I would think something like this could've been handled by a code enforcer, sad day in NYS, particularly when his superiors are justifying his actions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not sure I would congratulate this officer for a good job, I would hope both your and my tax dollars spent on his salary would utilize his time for crimes requiring an armed officer, I would think something like this could've been handled by a code enforcer, sad day in NYS, particularly when his superiors are justifying his actions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no idea just how big a town this Somers is, but maybe the guy was happy just to have something to do that day....lol. I wouldn't get too upset about the cost of the guy taking  3 minutes to remove a sign. Particularly if he was in the neighborhood anyway. Sometimes we actually get downright silly in our attempts to bash law enforcement. I have no idea just who is charged with the responsibility of illegal sign removal. But a cop enforcing a law doesn't really rank way up there on my scale of wasted tax money......lol. Ha-ha..... if the sign had said something about abolishing the death penalty, or "save the whales", it wouldn't even have been a reported story.

• Like 1

We will have to disagree on this one. I am not a law enforcement basher. Whether the sign was for a garage sale or a political one is not my point. I get the thread is about the latter. It appears this home owners sign has been removed several times. If a police dept has time to target offenses which are normally handled by code enforcement then I see one of 3 problems. 1) overstaffed dept with too much time on their hand (my tax money at waste) 2) redundancy in work by policing dept and code enforcement (again tax money wasted, lets trim the fat) 3) alternative motive in enforcing the removal of the sign, poor utilization of a skilled employee (oh yeh once again wasted tax revenue).

You are absolutely right if the sign was about race to cure diabetes it would never have been reported but then again it probably would not have been removed either.

• Like 1

We will have to disagree on this one. I am not a law enforcement basher. Whether the sign was for a garage sale or a political one is not my point. I get the thread is about the latter. It appears this home owners sign has been removed several times. If a police dept has time to target offenses which are normally handled by code enforcement then I see one of 3 problems. 1) overstaffed dept with too much time on their hand (my tax money at waste) 2) redundancy in work by policing dept and code enforcement (again tax money wasted, lets trim the fat) 3) alternative motive in enforcing the removal of the sign, poor utilization of a skilled employee (oh yeh once again wasted tax revenue).

You are absolutely right if the sign was about race to cure diabetes it would never have been reported but then again it probably would not have been removed either.

Actually, I'm not sure that the cop was involved in more than one sign removal. Remember that there had been complaints among neighbors.

Also, I am not sure how this town has set up its enforcement of this kind of violation. Code enforcement officers do not normally get involved in physically tearing down offending structures or objects. They do set in motion the proper agencies to carry out the law. Regardless of whether we agree with the policy or not, this may have been a legitimate function of the police department.

And I guess there will be no argument about the fact that government wastes money, and that there are redundancies, and perhaps there are even selective enforcements at times. What else is new .... lol. But in the greater scheme of things, this 3 minute visit by a cop really doesn't even rank up there as being worthy of comment. At any rate, absolutely none of all that deserves to go under a thread title of "cops may be against your gun rights", which was my original gripe. This incident proves nothing about cops.

I have no idea just how big a town this Somers is, but maybe the guy was happy just to have something to do that day....lol. I wouldn't get too upset about the cost of the guy taking  3 minutes to remove a sign. Particularly if he was in the neighborhood anyway. Sometimes we actually get downright silly in our attempts to bash law enforcement. I have no idea just who is charged with the responsibility of illegal sign removal. But a cop enforcing a law doesn't really rank way up there on my scale of wasted tax money......lol. Ha-ha..... if the sign had said something about abolishing the death penalty, or "save the whales", it wouldn't even have been a reported story.

If he needed something to do he could have parked his car and walked around a little bit , im sure we all can agree on that.

Doc, all it takes is one cop like this to pull you over and ruin your life when he decides you've violated a gun law. But I'm sure you'll excuse away whatever he does to you.

do you even know what this cop is "like"?..........maybe this guy was told ten times to take the signs down, maybe he is the biggest douche in the neighborhood and his neighbors complain about him all the time........there's ahole's like that in every neighborhood.

I have a feeling that this Officer did have an issue with the sign.  Any Police Officer who was just following an order  to remove the sign (with no prejudice) would not have gone there and kicked it down like he did.  He would have gone to the home owner, (with paperwork) and explain to him that it needed to be taken down....for whatever idiotic reason that may be.  Its too bad that he did that because that doesn't just make him look bad, but it makes a lot of other Officers look bad.  The public should never doubt the integrity of a Police Officer and they should be able to trust every single one, 100% of the time! Just a shame... 

• Like 1

do you even know what this cop is "like"?..........maybe this guy was told ten times to take the signs down, maybe he is the biggest douche in the neighborhood and his neighbors complain about him all the time........there's ahole's like that in every neighborhood.

But a Police Officer needs to remain professional and have dignity, no matter how big of a douche the person is. 

• Like 1

Most of the cops I know do not agree with Emperor Quomos position/s on guns.  You have to understand though that Somers is down towards "Liberal Heaven"  (read as: Westchester County and NYC).  I don't know this but I'd speculate that the sign was removed due to its content.

As for those blow-up lawn things; they make me want to go get a pellet gun and declare open warfare on those things.   I mean, one or two... I can look the other way. But these folks that have so many you can't even see grass just make me wanna go postal on 'em. :biggrin:

Edited by SteveC

Most of the cops I know do not agree with Emperor Quomos position/s on guns. You have to understand though that Somers is down towards "Liberal Heaven" (read as: Westchester County and NYC). I don't know this but I'd speculate that the sign was removed due to its content.

As for those blow-up lawn things; they make me want to go get a pellet gun and declare open warfare on those things. I mean, one or two... I can look the other way. But these folks that have so many you can't even see grass just make me wanna go postal on 'em. :biggrin:

I know of a semi-automatic pellet gun that fits the description, but any BB CO2 repeater would probably do. Just remember the 500' rule!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I know of a semi-automatic pellet gun that fits the description, but any BB CO2 repeater would probably do. Just remember the 500' rule!

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

lol - thanks!  I should probably retract the prior post though.  I can just see the cops at the door after someone actually does that... ;)

There are 3 types of L.E.O.s. 

The Good Cops.  They follow the law, serve and protect.  The minority fit into this category.

The Intimidator Cops.  They try to get you to comply with their demands, which are sometimes not legally required, by making you fear them.  The majority fit into this category.

The Rogue Cops.  This is the cop that will break the law if it suits his purposes or agenda.  If he kills an unarmed person, he may put a knife in his hand to claim it was a justified shooting, or put drugs in your car to frame you, or PUT AN EXTRA BULLET IN YOUR PISTOL MAGAZINE in order to bust you and get a warrant to search your house.  They are few, but God help you if you happen to be their target.

Some cops will also do whatever their administrations tell them to do in order to gain favor with them and promotions from them.  I suspect that is who we are seeing in this video.

As a bit of advice for you all, since you cannot tell what type of cop you are dealing with when you are confronted by one, it is best to end the encounter as soon as possible for your own protection.  I hope I don't need to say more.

There are 3 types of L.E.O.s. 

The Good Cops.  They follow the law, serve and protect.  The minority fit into this category.

The Intimidator Cops.  They try to get you to comply with their demands, which are sometimes not legally required, by making you fear them.  The majority fit into this category.

The Rogue Cops.  This is the cop that will break the law if it suits his purposes or agenda.  If he kills an unarmed person, he may put a knife in his hand to claim it was a justified shooting, or put drugs in your car to frame you, or PUT AN EXTRA BULLET IN YOUR PISTOL MAGAZINE in order to bust you and get a warrant to search your house.  They are few, but God help you if you happen to be their target.

Some cops will also do whatever their administrations tell them to do in order to gain favor with them and promotions from them.  I suspect that is who we are seeing in this video.

As a bit of advice for you all, since you cannot tell what type of cop you are dealing with when you are confronted by one, it is best to end the encounter as soon as possible for your own protection.  I hope I don't need to say more.

How do you get to that "minority" number ?

Yeah I guess that comment has completely flown over my head, so I may need a little more clarification. What exactly are you trying to say there with your "bit of advice"?

The longer you stay in the presence of the lawman, and the more you talk, the more likely you will say or do something that will get you in trouble.  The law is in the business of making arrests.  It doesn't care about who it arrests.  You can then, "Tell it to the Judge" as they say.

Speak only when needed, offer absolutely no extra info, don't assume the lawman wants to be a friend, and get away from the threat as soon as possible, lest you wind up in a place you won't like.

As far as the "minority" question, most cops are of the intimidator school of police work.  They soon learn this is the fastest way to get things done.  It's not the right way, or the best way, just the easiest way.  If you doubt this, try having a civil debate with a cop about the facts regarding your violation of the speeding laws.