What climbing tree stand to get?

Lord of War

I have the Comfort Zone Stealth Climber... It is a tank.... if you combine the 34 pounds that it weighs plus the weight of your pack, good chance you will be hauling around 50 pounds on your back... If your walking a distance to your tree you will be taking a few breaks. I had to buy the Molle II frame, straps and kidney belt to make it comforable to carry. I would advise you to buy something a little more expensive but lighter. API makes a few affordable stands that weight in the low to mid 20 lbs...

But if you insist on getting that climber there are some positive to it... it climbs nice, i always felt secure in it. never had it slip or move when climbing or standing in it. It has a longer platform then most lighter aluminum stands (summit viper) so if your a bigger guy this will make you more comfortable in the stand. the front bar is removable so you can make it a hand climber and shoot a bow standing down if the opportunity arised. If i had to grade this stand i would give it a C+/B- due to the fact of the weight of it.

I have a gorilla g 20 harness. Great harness. snaps in quick, its comfortable, and has the longer 30" tether. a short tether cost me a deer last year. when i was drawing i hit the tether with my elbow, tree bark made a noise, the deer took off. get a good harness you wont be disappointed

The goliath has stirrups and the bungee.  You really can climb with one or the other.  I have not had a stirrup break and don't use the bungee much (supposed to lock your feet into the stirrup), but its there.  The stand comes with a length of chord to tie the two together.  Just be sure to keep it short enough that if it falls and catches the tree, you can still reach it with your feet.  Short steps and more of them while climbing.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is kind of old, but I'll throw my opinion in anyway.

I was given a TreeWalker climbing stand last year. I have not used other climbers, only ladder and hang-ons, but man, I wouldn't trade the TreeWalker for anything. It's like the Cadillac of climbers.

The stand comes with a length of chord to tie the two together.  Just be sure to keep it short enough that if it falls and catches the tree, you can still reach it with your feet.  Short steps and more of them while climbing.

If the cord is tied on the top section where it should be, you just pull it up with your hands not your feet. 

In the event of the bottom section falling from below your feet, it doesn't need to "catch" the tree as the cord will/better stop it from going to the ground.

i have posted this in another thread but oh well..i made my own climber out of aluminum its just as light as the summits but i made the platform a bit bigger and the sitting area wider see how im a bigger guy 6 foot 265 lbs. i have used it for 5 years now and love it.i used a summit seat that i had off an old steel heavy as hell climber and  took ideas from a few different climbers and put them all together. but if i was gonna buy one i would probably buy a summit they are really nice, i have used my uncles a few times. here are some pictures of my home made climber.

post-439-0-54335400-1381790856_thumb.jpg

post-439-0-78841300-1381790870_thumb.jpg

good to hear you like it.  I'm a big fan of climbers that have an open front, or no cross bar in the front and ones that are light weight.  these are two big things I demand for bowhunting.  I've got a Summit Openshot and love it.  Even when gun hunting in deep woods I can carry it in and then use a mono pod, bow hanger, or camera arm for a gun rest.

that homemade stand is nice!  I grew up building and hunting out of wooden built stands.  I've formed my own opinion that metal stands not built into the tree are much better both from a land steward and hunter safety point of view.  building your own stand like that I feel you're much better serving your needs.

mine, you face the tree, sit on the bar on the top piece, put feet through straps on bottom piece pretty much stand up, rest but on the bar of top piece, then pull your feet up, making sure each time that you teeth of the stand get a good grip on the tree. do that over and over a bunch of times and your up the tree.

Edited by newbreed

the LIGHTER the better when hunting public land.

I myself hike at least a mile in, farthest place I have to sit is about 2 miles in, this is my first year and I have been out a bunch. got good beads on a few spots and just narrowing it down.

problem is hauling stands around that place is a PITA, my setup is about 35 pounds between climbing sticks and stand, I got it in on a hand truck, and it kept twisting around and falling, just purchased a deer cart and will try it out this weekend. weight is a PITA cant say it enough.

for next year im getting the lightest equipment I can get, sticking my heavy stuff in a permanent spot way back hidden on some mountain I want to pull a big buck out of and moving to a setup that weighs less than twenty pounds. Big game treestand evolution I believe weights just 10 pounds, with either lone wolf sticks that weigh in at about 7 pounds that puts me just a bit over 17 pounds with a pack that weighs about 5 or 6 pounds with water ( I hydrate the entire day before and drink like half a gallon of water before entering the woods and carry about 1 liter for the day in a sawyer water bottle that doubles as an water filter if need be. 

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, hanz said:

Summits are really good climbing tree stands in my experience, Viper isn't bad either.

"Summit" and "Viper" are same/same. 

Im going to guess that hanz is either posting from Ma's basement or just a good old spammer. 

Hopefully im proven wrong. Wake me up if he comes back.......

12 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

"Summit" and "Viper" are same/same. 

Im going to guess that hanz is either posting from Ma's basement or just a good old spammer. 

Hopefully im proven wrong. Wake me up if he comes back.......

12 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

4 year old thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha.... i never even looked.  i just wanted to post my graffiti.  seems like an odd spammer post from hanz.  screw it i'll start a new thread.

• Like 1