In need of job advice

Woodjr55

So I'm 24 I've been working for my dad/grandpas company since I was 14 I've been working steadily there since last May. Well the other day I noticed on my buddies time card that he had been give a raise to the same rate that I am at. It was a 2 dollar raise. He's only been working for the company for 3 summers so around a year. I also drive to the job sites and my buddy rides with me so I spend at least an extra 60 dollars a week on gas. I didn't mind it because I was making more then most of the other people in the company. Well now that everyone is on the same level I'm pretty pissed of to say the least that now I'm basically making the least amount in the company. Just wondering the best way to handle this seeing that it is a family business and not just a regular old job.

A few things to think about...

1) I get paid for the amount of gas I spend on travel expenses and IF you use your personal vehicle you should have some compensation for that.  Company vehicle you should get reimbursed for your gas, save the receipt.

I get 400$ a month for vehicle use plus gas receipts...  I use my own truck... 

2) When asking for a raise these are some of the things you need to make your point, NOT everyone is making what I make, I need more...

a: Your value to the company:  How efficiently you perform your job, handle co-workers and the customers- No one can do what you do as well as you do it!!!

b: How much you have improved since your last raise. 

c: Economy and rising cost of living and expenses

d: Even though it is a family company, act as an employee asking for a raise not a son or grandson

c: Treat your boss/coworkers and above all customers with respect even if the person is out of control you will rise to the top...

e: Do not ever say you will work harder if you get a raise, let them know you are working as hard as you can and are willing to improve and work on anything the boss feels is your week points...

f: Be confident in your ability and the fact that you are worth every penny they pay you.

g: Work hard, come in early and stay late when ever needed

Confidence in your skills and your value to the company that you give should be rewarded. 

I hope you get a fat raise(If you do keep it to yourself, no one but you and the boss need to know what you make...)

Be confident and list the things that you give to the company value as an employee and you should be ok.

Good luck hope everything work out for you!!!

• Like 1

Before asking for any raise, you did say that this is a family business. By any chance is this a business you want to really stay with and possibly take over? If so it may be best to just keep quiet for now. It has been my experience that family businesses usually take care of their "outside" employees first by that I mean non-family members with the idea that one day the family business will eventually be yours when dad and grandpa retire.

• Like 1

Some good advice.

This is about a discussion and communication. I strongly suggest you read the book crucial conversations before having the chat with the both of them together in a safe environment. When you are ready, schedule time ahead with both and meet at a coffee house if there isn't a comfortable private spot at the business.