Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

It was raining on the way to Geneseo .Parked my car at 5:55 am , got my hunting clothes on and headed for the blind as it was forecasted to rain at & and 10 am . Well , it didn't . I should have gone to the stand in the woods . Saw a fox , 2 doe and a fawn and that was it for the am . Left the stand at 11 and went to Geneseo Village . Had a sandwich and headed for the woods with the ATV . Was in the stand by 1:30 and sat until 6:15 . Saw 2 doe in some thick stuff way behind me . 

On the way up the laneway , I looked up toward my vehicle and saw a doe standing  about  150 yards away and 50 feet into the cut bean field . I took a picture from the laneway then drove slow and got within 50 yards before she ran away . So much for an exciting day ! Bummer 

I was in the Geneseo ladder stand by 6:30 . Sat there until 10:30 and got down . Only thing I saw was squirrels . Around 8:30 I started hearing metal clanging sounds coming from north of my SILs woods . Never heard any engines / motors . No idea what someone was doing . Took a slow walk across the woods and checked out an old chain on stand of mine . It's in good shape . Sat in it for a few minutes and left . 

My SIL didn't have the stuff she needed so I couldn't do anything with the fence charger . That was fine by me . Drove home . Gotta think of where to try next . 

• 2 weeks later...

Gave Geneseo another try yesterday . Rain was forecasted but I was prepared . Was in my stand in the woods by 6:45 . Sat there until 11:30 . I was facing the thick area where I expected the deer to come into the woods . I was downwind of that area . During that sit I saw 4 anterless and a small buck moving in the thickets but them never came my way . It sprinkled a couple times but only for a few minutes . 

At 11:30 I headed for my car and went to Geneseo village . Ran a couple errands and went back to the property on Lima Road . Drove my ATV across the field and parked it about 100 yards from the stand I have in a willow tree overlooking a small wooded area with cattails near a pond . Not much was happening . After a while I looked in the direction of my ATV  and saw a doe standing within 10 yards of the ATV . She stayed there for over 10 minutes and then headed at an angle toward my position . I stood and faced the tree I was in and the doe passed within 30 yards but I couldn't take a shot as the safety strap on my harness restricted me . I tried to un hook it but couldn't . Another letdown . Left the stand at 6:05 . Saw a red fox on the way out .

IMG_0247.JPG

• Like 2

I will be heading out to my Pittsford - Mendon spot in a few minutes . Trying to be optimistic . Havn't been there in a couple weeks to check anything out but the beans and corn are gone . It's only a 35 mile drive . The only thing I don't like about the spot is the uppity soccer moms blow their horns when they go by when they see me in camo . 

• Like 1

Saw a large red for while driving on Thornell Rd in Pittsford . Then as I turned onto West Bloomfield there was a buck standing about 20 feet off the side of the road . I was in the stand by 6:30 . Sat back and relaxed . A little after 9 I saw a couple doe go across the back lawn over 300 yards away . Didn't see anything else and left at 11 . 

Dropped some stuff off at my son's house , got something to eat and went to DICKs in Victor . Bought a few items and went back to the hunting area . Sat in the stand from 2:30 to 6 pm and didn't see any deer . Some guy in an orange tee shirt and blue jeans was walking around . I spotted him 300 yards down the field and he ducked into the wooded area at about 200 yards . I figured he saw me and was avoiding me . Later I saw him throught the trees , vines , etc south of my stand . I thought he was using a grunt call but he was smoking . Smelled like those small cigars , cigarellos , whatever . He came within 35 yards of my location and stood looking into the tall stuff . He never looked up at me or in my direction . Since I hadn't seen anything all afternoon , I kept quiet and hoped that he might kick something out of the thick area . Didn't happen .

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

Drove to Geneseo and arrived at 6:30 . That gave me an hour and 21 minutes to be ready for legal time . Figured I would take the easy way out and took a cross bow but also had my compound in the car just in case . My son was there before me and was already heading for the woods . Nick said he jumped 2 doe and what he thinks was a buck in the dark . He saw them with his head lamp . He didn't see anything while sitting in the woods stand and decided to leave at 11 so I walked up to the car with him . Before that I was moving an extension ladder that I had used with a chain on so I could take down a big limb to clear a shooting lane . Damned if I didn't have the ladder slip and took a chunk out of the end of my left index finger . I'm on blood thinner and it bled for quite a while . It still stings but I don't want to take the band aid off to check it out .

I unloaded the atv and put my chainsaw on it and went back to the willow tree after having a sandwich and a bottle of water .Dropped the big limb . In the meantime I had pulled the trail cam cards . The one I put in the woods last week had the wrong year and times . Didn't realize that until I got home and checked out the pics . 

Didn't see any deer all morning . Sunset was listed as 5:58 pm . so I shot the de-cocking bolt and got down . Way out in the field was a lone doe . I stood in the thick stuff by the willow waiting for the doe to cross the field so I could get out without being spotted . 

It was a Long Boring day ! 

It sure warmed up!! Good luck. I am trying to wiggle my way outa work. HR called and said I have too many PTO hours banked up. I said I can fix that in a hurry!!

I see that yellow sled on the back of your ATV. You bring some good rope we can hook that to the back of the wheeler and do doughnuts since the two of us can't catch the right deer at the right time!!:taunt:

Edited by Fletch

Went to my friend's property in Walworth and sat out for 3 hours this afternoon  . Didn't see anything . Sat in my 2 man chair blind with the cross bow . It was an uncomfortable sit . I had my Bi-Fur pod shooting sticks that I use with my rifle and realized that with the grip in the "V" of the sticks , if I pulled the trigger on the cross bow , the string would hit the top of the sticks on each side . Glad I realized that before ever shooting . That would have been Bad news ! 

Was in my stand in Pittsford just before 2 pm .. It was cold and windy . I put out my cardboard decoy and a Rur Rageous scent stick . Didn't see anything until around 4 pm . Saw movement directly south of me but it was , you guessed it , Mama's Special Boy .He was walking around and smoking  . I was hoping he would kick something out of the thick area .He finally walked off . I was getting my gear together around 4:45 and looked up the field . A spike was about 250 yards away heading my way . All I could think of was Go Away . I didn't want to shoot a spike . he got within 70 yardsstepped out of the wwod3ed area and was trying to get close to the deer but the spike bounded off  and was looking at my decoy when he suddenly looked back . Mama's Boy stepped out of the wooded area and tried to approach the deer but it bounded off . The guy left and I got down after shooting a practice arrow into the soft ground 30 yards away . Wow ! It got dark fast !

My son and I went to his friend's property on Cambier Road in Palmyra yesterday . It was dark at 5:30 but lightened up fast . I sat in a stand that I set up last year and never liked the location . My oldest son sat in his brother's stand in the woods . We sat until almost 11 . I never saw a thing and had pretty good visibility . My son saw a small buck and took a shot with no luck .

We took down my stand and the double stand that someone had taken the bottom section from . Matt brought a section from another stand so we could do this . No sense in repairing this stand only to have someone mess it up again . 

We plan to go to Geneseo Saturday and hunt the morning and then attempt to finish cutting up a fallen tree that was blocking the laneway a couple months ago . Hopefully we will take the two stands and set them up on the property . 

• Like 1

Matt and I were in our stands by 6:30 after a long slow walk . It was quite cold in the am but no problem . We sat until 11 am and called it quits . Didn't see any deer at all .I pulled my camera cards and reset the date and time on them . We then went back to our vehicles and got out a couple more ladder stands to use during gun season Got them set up and went back to vehicles to get the chain saws so we could finish cutting up a fallen tree in the laneway . I left a bit past 4 pm and a short way up Lima Road was a dead doe . In a field on the North West corner of Lima and North roads were 4 deer out grazing . Another mile up the road were 6 deer out grazing . What the Heck ! 

When I got home I checked for my camera . It is no wheres to be found . I tore everything apart and couldn't find the camera so I will check again during daylight hours and hope it's in the car somewhere . If not , it will be a trip to Geneseo to look for it . 

My back aches and I feel whipped ! 

Drove down to Walworth and spent 3 hours in the stand watching the bare woods . Nothing was stirring , not even a mouse . My back was killing me . It hurt to begin with and I spent a couple hours racking up and bagging leaves so I aggravated the pain . I am going to hunt Friday am at my SIL'sw property and then help her put in some posts and put up a fence charger to keep her horses out of the creek and gulley lot . I plan to leave my ATV and trailer there as my youngest son and I will be gun hunting there opening day Saturday . Hopefully my back will be feeling better by then .