Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

Going to sit at a friend's property in Walworth tomorrow am ....... 20 miles round trip versus the normal 100 mile drive . Tracks there but very few  time pictures on the trail camera . These sits are killing me as I have a lot of back pain . Gonna have a kidney stone removed January 13 . They will go through my Urethra and my muscles tighten up when I think about it . My Urologist said it's a fairly large stone and plans to break it up with a lazer . 

Just had that procedure Eddie. You will be out for it and won't feel a thing until you wake up and have to pee. The blood on your gown in that area is a little disturbing but the pain will be gone. Pray you don't need the stent and if you do, ask for it to be removed within a week, no longer. I had one for over 3 weeks and that was awful.

Good luck hunting and good luck with the lithotripsy.

It is very uncomfy but 5 days is a cake walk. Just find a good spot on the couch and don't over do it until the stent is removed. That removal is not fun either. I can tell you I was scared to get it removed but it only took about 30 seconds total and minimal pain or pressure. He did tell you that the stent removal is an office visit right? In and out with no anesthesia? They grab it and yank it out like they are trying to start a chainsaw. Fun stuff. I'll be thinking about you on the 13th.

Not much time left in the season so my youngest son and I will head for a spot on Cambier Road in Marion / Newark area . The owner said not many deer sightings there but it has also been under hunted so who knows . The temps are forecasted to be in the 40's . Just another sit in the great outdoors . If I see nothing by 10 am , I will take a slow walk through the woods and see if I can push anything to my son . The downside is ..... if we see a buck , we can't shoot it . 

Nick and I went to a friend's property . They say it's in Marion / Newark but the sign on Cambier Road is for Palmyra . 

Anyway Nick was going to sit in the new double stand in the hedge row . I had a longer so I headed up the drive . I saw Nick's light coming my way and started laughing as I thought he couldn't find the stand in the dark . He found it all right . Some thieving low life  pulled the pins and removed the bottom section of the ladder . He went to another stand . Saw nothing all morning from 6:30 - 11 . Walked back to our vehicles and I took some pics of the stand with the ladder section missing . We ate , got warmed up and went back to the stands and Nick used a different stand . Again , we saw nothing . I hadn't been feeling well for a few days and had to squat behind a tree a couple of times but I did that over 100 yards from my stand . Anyway , we got down at 4:34 pm and went back to our vehicles . Had to wait for a big flatbed load catterpiller that was blocking the driveway . I got about a mile down the roan and DAMN ....... 2 doe ran across the road in front of me . Luckily I was driving slow . 

Really bummed that someone would have taken a section out of the ladder stand !

post-132-0-36592300-1450311073_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-41647500-1450311482_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-48070200-1450311518_thumb.jpg

Drove to Geneseo yesterday am . Was in my double chair blind by 6:45 so I was out of the cold breeze . Was overcast so no sun came up . Sat until 11 am and never saw a thing . Dropped some burger off at my sister in laws and then went to town to use the John . Was back in the chair blind by 1 pm and sat until 4:30 . Nuttin' ! Only heard one shot all day long and that was at 8:30 am . Didn't see any hunter vehicles parked along Lima Road . 8 hours out in 35 degree weather and saw NOTHING .

Debating on whether or not to give it one more try tomorrow . It would be just one more sit in the cold . Kinda depressing that I havn't been seeing anything on several outings but i'm not alone . Between a back problem and the kidney pain , not sure about going out . But .... on the other hand , it's just one more time . Decisions , decisions !

I passed on going out . It rained for a long time this am and I had a splitting headache . My friend told me it was sprinkling at his place this afternoon and the last time I went out hunting like that I got soaked . No sense in being sick for the holidays !  There is always next October ! 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Havn't been able to hunt my SIL's woods in quite a while as the field to it is always wet and gushy and the woods would hold water rather than drain .It has really dried out this year . I took my ATV to geneseo with some tools and posted signs . My Sil and I met the guy that hunts the property north of hers . We located the property stakes and put up several signs on the north end . The west side is a ditch that normally is filled with water . The east side isn't a problem as the property owner is the only one that hunts there . As for the north end of her property , we made an agreement with each other for retrieval rights . Debating on whether or not to put up a treestand in the woods . It's a long walk for an old man . 

The guy that bush hogs the riding trails for the GVHC made it much easier to get back to the woods . I pulled cards from 4 trail cams and from the looks of my Hub Blind on raised stand , I need to replace it . I will try to do that in the next couple of weeks . Got a lot to do in the next couple of weeks . Maybe I can get my youngest son to give me a hand some Saturday . 

• Like 3

Leaving for Geneseo around 9 am . My youngest son will meet me there . I plan to remove a hub blind that I have on a 6 foot platform and put up a new one . The blind has been there for 2 years and is in bad shape . I might remove the new one at the end of gun season this year to preserve it . I am taking the ATV and will show Nick the property and check out the stands that I have up and may put up another ladder stand .. Also want to see what the logger has done on a nearby property if possible . My SIL was looking into having her woods logged but changed her mind . Said it isn't worth 3 grand to have them mess it up . The woods is the driest the woods has been in years . I had not hunted it in a very long time because the field was always wet and so was the woods . It was so soft and wet that it would pull boots right off of your feet . If I had shot a deer in the woods , I would have to float it out . I am hoping that the farmer that farms her property does some sort of draining and clears out the overgrowth between the crop field and the woods . Wishful thinking !

• Like 1

Took down my old hub blind on the 6' metal stand and put up a new one . Had to cut down a lot of weeds to get at it . My son , Nick , helped me out . I took him for a ride in the woods and he was looking at different trees where he could  use his climber . A lot of possibilities . Showed him where the property boundaries are . Forgot to take any pics of the new blind .

Cut some shooting lanes in three other areas . I have a chain saw attachment that attaches to my Cub Cadet weed whacker . It gives me about an 8' reach and was very handy but it gets real heavy fast . I am tired .

Pulled cards from 4 trail cams and have to check them out . Moved one of the cameras to check another area at the property .

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty bummed out after today's experience . I got up much later than I planned but was in a stand in Geneseo by 6:50 am . Sat there until 10:30 and the only thing I saw was a red fox . My back was killing me and my stomach was off . Drove to WalMart , used their toilet and bought some Doan's pills . Had the sweats and a terrible headache . Took a short nap , got the ATV unloaded and headed for my elevated hub blind . Got there and realized I didn't have the key for the lock on the platform so I headed to the woods . It started sprinkling but I figured the deer might start moving . I was getting soaked but figured I would stick it out . Around 4pm , a buck approached to my left . I picked up my bow . The buck sensed something and walked across at about 20 yards I drew back and let an arrow fly . I remembered bending at the waist ,etc but didn't take into consideration that the grip on the bow was wet . I had been sitting in the rain for quite a while . 

So the arrow struck the buck high on the shoulder . Not a kill shot but a bad hit never the less . I waited about 15 minutes and figured he might lay down . The rain had slowed to a bit of a sprinkling . Found a little bit of blood and my arrow shaft . The blade and insert are still in his shoulder . I spent almost 2 hours trying to see if he might be laying down in the thick stuff . Not much blood . A speck here and there . Maybe I will see him again this coming week . 

I don't grip my bow . I let it lay in my hand between my thumb and index finger . I guess with the bow grip being wet it allowed it to twist . Never gave that a thought . Another learning experience . 

A wasted day . I was in my stand in Walworth by 6 am . Damn , it's dark in the woods at that time . Looking up at the sky , the stars were clear and beautiful . Sat there until 10 am and never saw a thing . This is where I had some good trail cam pics . 

Got something to eat , loaded up the ATV and headed for Geneseo . Sat in my stand in the woods from 3 until 6:30 . Sunset was at 6:43 . This was the stand where I hit a buck opening day . Nothing . Absolutely nothing . When I got out of the woods , I was surprised how light it was in the fields . 

I hadn't been getting pics of deer where I normally had and I expect that is due to the fact that the beans have turned color . ??????????

Got up at 4 am . Checked the weather forecast and it looked like the rain would be gone by 6 am . Drove to Walworth and it was raining pretty good . Parked and there was just a light sprinkle so I put my hunting clothes on . The sprinkles got a little more intense so I sat in my car . The rain picked up and kept up so I left . At 6:45 my friend called and said the rain had let up . I didn't go back . I knew the moisture would be dripping from the trees for a while . I guess I will try Pittsford / Mendon this afternoon . 

Where the heck was this rain when we needed it this summer ? Oh , yeah , frogs were all over the place . They need to start putting up Frog Crossing signs ! 

Went down to Walworth this afternoon . Spent 3 1/2 hours in a stand . Saw a couple of bodies moving through the thick brush a ways across the ditch . Guessing it was a couple of doe . Saw 3 hen turkeys south of me in the woods . I wasn't dressed for the weather . When I was putting my hunting clothes on it was quite warm in the son . Once in the woods , it cooled of real quick . 

Tried West Bloomfield Road this am . Was in my stand by 6:30 . Sat back , relaxed and watched the sun come up . At 7 , I saw something out in the middle of the field and grabbed the binos . It was a red fox mousing . I was amazed at how high he would jump . Saw another red fox on the edge of the field . No deer . Got out of the stand at 11 , changed my clothes and drove to Victor . 

Used the john at WalMart and did some shopping . They had a bunch of weed trimmer stuff on sale for $1 . Bought a couple reels of trimmer line for $1 each . They had bulbs for Stinger Bug Zappers for $1 . I also bought two 8" chainsaw chains for $1 each . 

Back in the stand at 3 pm and stayed until 6:30 . Wasn't seeing anything until I got down from the stand . 2 bucks and 3 doe were at the far end of the field . The beans were brown so the deer weren't eating the tops . I bet they had been in the corn fields south of this area . 

• Like 1

Got up at 3:30 this am to get ready to head to Geneseo to hunt with my youngest son . Was ready to leave at 4:45 and checked the trailer lights as I was hauling the ATV . Left rear running light not working . Took a few minutes and had it fixed ( ground wire ) . About a mile down the road , 2 doe ran across in front of me . Slowed down in case there were more . Hauled butt down 390 as we were to meet at 6 am at my SIL's property . Coming down Lima Road in Geneseo , I had another 2 doe cross in front of me . One actually stopped in the road . It's 45 mph on most of that road and it's one road that I don't speed on .

Since Nick doesn't have a lot of days to hunt , he took the stand in the woods and I took another stand in a wooded area near a pond where I put a stand 3 years ago . I didn't see one darned deer and had great visability . Got a text from Nick around 8 am that he had just shot a fawn . I texted back as to why he didn't wait for an adult deer and he said because they had run off . He saw 8 deer , possibly another 2 , a fox and a turkey . It was from the stand that I hunted from opening day in the rain . 

At 11:30 I got down , walked to my car , got the ATV and sled and headed for the woods to pick up Nick and his deer .The bean fields had been cut earlier in the week . Not sure what the farmer was doing but he made a bumpy mess in the pond field .

Took the deer to my son's home and he and his brother skinned it and cut it up . I will probably go back out Monday or Wednesday depending on the weather

Almost forgot , it was 36 degrees at 6 am ..........

Going to head out to Geneseo in about a half hour . Want to get there before it rains . I plan to sit in my raised Hub Blind as the forecast is for showers at 7 and at 10 am . I don't plan to make the same mistake that I made on opening day . I just hope the farmer didn't screw things up too bad the way he knocked things down . Before he went in , the Hunt Club had mowed some trails through the high grass and one trail ran 20 yards from the blind . Now it's all open .