Fast Eddie's Fables

fasteddie

I will be heading for Geneseo shortly . My SIL needs help putting hay in her barn loft so I figured it would be an opportunity for a morning hunt . Maybe today will be the day . Trying to be optimistic . 

Morning hunt , hay in barn , then my wife wants to go out for dinner . Busy day ! 

Was in my stand by 6:15 . Sat and waited . At 7:04 am I saw 3 anterless deer running south in the middle of the neighbor's field . They were up wind of my location but something must have spooked them . Nothing after that . I got down at 10 am as my clothes were pretty wet . Checked my Trail Cams . Had a message on my phone that my SIL was talking to her farmer behind the house and they saw a 10 point buck out behind her Sumac . Sucked to hear that . Decided to come home and dry out my clothes . 

Oh yeah , the farmer had left me a voice mail so I called him . He said he saw a dead 7 point in the neighbor's field a couple days ago and it was pretty well eaten up . No idea of what happened . I wonder if one of the guys that hunt that property hit it or if it may have been hit by a car and died out there . Not sure if I have a 7 point on any of the trail cams . 

Went to Geneseo and was in a stand by 6:15 . Loked like it was going to be a nice day . Saw 3 doe in the neighbor's field . One took off like a shot and the other 2 hung around for a while . The larger doe came within 20 yards and I though she might come into the lane way . I kept thinking ...wait 10 minutes . I wanted to shoot her but ..... I don't have permission to hunt that property ( 3 hunters lease it) and it was 10 minutes before legal time . After all the crap we went through about legal hours , I didn't want to be a hypocrite . I will probably eat that tag but my conscience is clear . A bit later I saw another doe way over in the Gully lot . Saw 4 deer between 6:40 and 7:15 .That was it for the morning . Got out of the stand at 9:30 , changed clothes and went to SILs to help put away 100 hay bales in her loft . 

Used the John , got something to eat and drink and was back in the stand around 2:30 . Didn't see a thing all afternoon . It cooled down quick . 

I have been staying away from my elevated pond blind and saving it for gun season as I have had doe anywhere between 40 and 75 yards from the blind . Plan on using it opening day . I havn't had a shot with the bow but I got out as often as I could rather than sit here all day and I enjoyed the trail cam pics . 

I have had enough of the Bow Season . No more hunting / sitting until Saturday . 

I was in a stand in Mendon by 6:15 am . Between 7:15 and 10 am , I saw 8 anterless deer and one spike . I watched 2 doe milling around for over 20 minutes about 120 -140 yards away . They were fairly close to a storage area ( trailers , large electrical boxes , etc ) . A guy was operating one of those Billy Goat Brush Cutters about 120 yards past them . The deer paid no attention to him . Thought that was funny . The wind picked up around 10:30 and I had had enough . Left !

Arrived in Geneseo at 6 am . Walked 1/2 mile to stand and was settled in at 6:20 . Sunrise was 7:09 . Heard the 1st shot around 7:15 . Not much shooting happening . The only barrage of shots was a 4 shot blast . Anything else was a single shot here and there . I didn't see a thing ! My sister in law said she walked down to the South end of her Lane Way and thought she might kick something to me . She saw a fawn and a doe and went back up to her barn .

I left the stand at 11 and went to my car . Had a sandwich and went to Walmart to use the john .

Came back and took a crash nap until almost 2 pm . I had a plastic lawn chair stashed there so I set up at the south end of the lane way so I could see all the way down the lane and across the gully lot pasture . It was pretty quiet with only a couple of shots heard . It was just about 4 pm when I saw two deer way across the pasture . They were way upwind of me and there was some cold wind . They were feeding on the mowed pasture and the bigger one was working her way towards me . She started to slowly head toward the thick area by the creek and I figured I had better take a chance and shoot . I ranged her at 145 yards . I aimed for the shoulder with the NEF 25-06 single shot and she folded right up . The other deer looked around and kept feeding until I started walking up to get the ATV . 

Came back with the ATV and sled . Loaded the doe and hauled her over to another field to field dress her so the gut pile wouldn't be in the pasture . While I was field dressing the doe I could see a couple deer milling around a couple hundred yards down the field that I was in .

I was surprised how little shooting there was on this opening day . The last shots I heard were about 40 minutes past legal time . Almost 5:30 and it was dark . 

post-132-0-89196700-1448160843_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-79417900-1448160874_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Going to try Geneseo again tomorrow afternoon . Will meet my 2 sons that hunt around noon . Oldest son wants to hunt the woods . I told him good luck as they call the land "the Bottoms" . It's always wet and difficult walking through the field to get to the woods . You could get an ATV stuck back there . The guy that farms the property got his 4 wheel drive PU stuck at the end of the field and had to call his son to to bring the tractor and pull him out . 

Neither one of my sons has hunted this property in several years so they will probably bring their climbers . 

Sat in my Pod Blind at the Pond and didn't see any deer . One son was 100 yards south of me and the other was 400+ yards north of me just inside of the woods . When we got there the farmer was plow / discing the field . Since we were there we already there we figured we may as well stay and hope some deer move . Nothing ! Not one darned deer . Only a John Deere .......

post-132-0-89717600-1448504578_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-36611300-1448504603_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-33981300-1448504625_thumb.jpg

I will once again be heading for Geneseo around 5 am . Looks to be quite cold ......almost 30 but feel like temp is around 22 . Better walk slow so I don't work up a sweat . Have a 1/2 mile walk to the stand . Not much activity there so maybe the deer will be relaxed .

Sat out from dark to 10:30 and saw nothing . Moved to a different location in the afternoon and sat from 1:30 to 4:40 and saw nothing . I heard an amazing 3 shots all morning . All single shots in different directions . Heard 5 shots around 4:35 in the afternoon from one direction . What an exciting day ! 

• Like 1

My morning hunt sucked . It was cold , windy and damp . I was at my spot in Geneseo by 6:30 and stayed until 10:30 . Heard 3 shots a ways off north west of the property . I will give it a try tomorrow with the hopes that some hunters will be out moving the deer . 

Didn't see one car / truck parked along Lima Road where I used to see hunters park . 

Hunted Geneseo again . Saw nothing . Heard very few shots .... all in the distance . My SIL came out and walked along the gully to see if she could kick anything out  Nothing . Then we walked down to the pond field and didn't kick anything out of there . But ... the weather was great .

Going to meet my youngest son at our Pittsford spot tomorrow am . Someone was hunting there this evening and I hope they didn't shoot the buck that my son had spotted a few days ago . I wanted to try a spot in Marion but my son was set on Pittsford so I agreed since he has a limited amount of days to hunt ( Wednesdays & Sundays ) . ML season is just around the corner ...........

• Like 1

Sat out from 6:15 until 10 :30. All I saw was a coyote at about 120 yards. It crossed the field and through the hedge row behind my son who never saw it . This was in a shotgun only area. No deer except for the one I saw a mile down the road from where I parked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk