30-06 VS. .270

Guest FrostyLeaves

270 is not necked down 30-06. It's parent cartridge was the 30-03. It was the short lived predecessor to the 30-06 and I believe one version was also rimmed.

Edit. Was that a development in the past and modified currently? The -06 can easily be resized for a 270?

As many have said the 06 is more versatile but basically the 270 has less recoil becasue of the weight of the bullets typically used in it. In the same gun I doubt you could feel the difference between a 150 gr out of a 270 and a 165 out of an .06. That said the .06 ammo is more available and until the recent ammo shortage, military surp. was available for cheap plinking. Both callibers are available in reduced recoil rounds so both are guns you can tone down if you wish.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

What Culver said...

All other things equal, with similar bullet weights, performance and recoil are so close that you or the deer would never know the difference.

Should you someday want to hunt game bigger than deer, there is an advantage to the 30-06 because it will handle heavier bullets.

• Like 1

.270 weatherby magnum is the answer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

The .270 Weatherby Magnum is the answer to THIS question...

" What is a good example of an outrageously expensive overbore belted magnum which is generally only available in a pimped-up ,overpriced status symbol snob appeal rifle ? "

The answer to this question is ANY Weatherby Magnum. << GRIN>>...

Pygmy, on 07 Oct 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:Pygmy, on 07 Oct 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

" What is a good example of an outrageously expensive overbore belted magnum which is generally only available in a pimped-up ,overpriced status symbol snob appeal rifle ? "

Awe come on now......

Thats just hurtful.

My 300WBY ain't one of them pimped out rosewood and diamond inlay 1960's whiteline spacer Roy's.

LOL

Then again I ain't suggesting one as a first or only rifle either.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

Awe come on now......

Thats just hurtful.

My 300WBY ain't one of them pimped out rosewood and diamond inlay 1960's whiteline spacer Roy's.

LOL

Then again I ain't suggesting one as a first or only rifle either.

LOL... Yeah, Dan..I'll admit that the WB's DO fill a niche ...

However , they should be considered a SPECIALTY chambering..

Recommending one for a first or only rifle just AIN'T RIGHT...Hehehehehe...

I know you're a handloader, but can you imagine buying factory loads for one of those things ?

The .270 Weatherby Magnum I shoot is from the 1950's or 1960's. It has taken probably over 50 big game animals between 3 generations of people (Me, My Dad, My Grandfather) in various states and countries. Many of these animals were taken at 400+ yards.  It shoots amazing and there's never been an issue with it.  When my grandfather bought it 50-60 years ago he didn't have a lot of $, he just wanted a very accurate rifle.  We obviously got our moneys worth from the rifle over the years. I think it was a great purchase.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I know you're a handloader, but can you imagine buying factory loads for one of those things ?

And then utilizing it in a NY whitetail season where any benefits of the round are basically lost due to relatively short shot distances. AND how much would a kid be out in $$$ to get him proficient at ranges where it could make a difference? Just Biz being Biz...lol

I only shoot handloads as well. I agree with the point about factory loads costing a lot. Unless he's not going to be shooting a lot. I don't shoot a lot. I only shoot probably 20 rounds a year through it. 10-15 shots a year at the range, and a handful after flying to make sure the scope didnt jar.

Biz let's be real. You keep pushing this round and YOUR gun every time a thread comes up. The kid didn't ask what gun could he buy that would allow him to be way over powered and over priced for his first gun. Quit beating your chest and grabbing your crotch to try to impress us all with how long your shots have been and what a great gun you have. We have all heard it soooooo many times. Especially in the threads with the new hunters coming in, just try to help them and leave the feather strutting cock dance at the door.

• Like 2

Pygmy, on 07 Oct 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

One of the reasons I started loading. But most guys buy a box and sight with a few and are done.

I had a pesky 257 that wouldn't eat anything factory and eventually found a so-so load by hand with some help. Sent that barrel down the road and the next 2 owners didn't have any better luck than me; turned out to be a poor factory throat and the 4 th owner got a free replacement. Didn't we all look stupid for pouring money in that thing.

On the other hand my 270 Win digests these Remington loaded(!) 140 A-frames like is was built for them. I found a mismarked case at cheaper than components price figuring just to plink and save the brass. Now I will just need to duplicate the powder load and keep shooting when I run low.

I've never owned an 06'; but just missed buying one a few months ago; still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on a discontinued NIB gun. LW version I wanted just as a overall go to in a takedown package. Maybe next time one comes along.......

Very true, Biz...Whatever floats your boat..

Don't take it personal...I don't know what we'd do without you..

I LOVE YOU, MAN !!!

We should get together and visit sometime...Could I come down and mow your lawn or sonething ?

• Like 2

Culvercreek hunt club, on 07 Oct 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Biz let's be real. You keep pushing this round and YOUR gun every time a thread comes up. The kid didn't ask what gun could he buy that would allow him to be way over powered and over priced for his first gun. Quit beating your chest and grabbing your crotch to try to impress us all with how long your shots have been and what a great gun you have. We have all heard it soooooo many times. Especially in the threads with the new hunters coming in, just try to help them and leave the feather strutting cock dance at the door.

OK thats funny right there and I don't care who ya' are.

I had both and sold the 30-06. The .270 is fun to shoot and shoots fast and flat. I just hope Livingston county goes to rifle. It would be be primary hunting gun.

I am so pumped Ontario went rifle.

This is typical of my hunting spots.

post-253-0-55368300-1381157914_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You act like I suggested a .458 or something?  Realistically, the kid could buy a .270 weatherby magnum and never buy another rifle for the rest of his life. He could shoot deer with it, coyotes, black bear, and anything he wants in NY.  Then if someday he expands his hunting range to out west, he can still use the same gun.  Sounds pretty good to me.  If he wants a gun to "plink" with, then get a .22

Biz-R-OWorld, on 07 Oct 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:Biz-R-OWorld, on 07 Oct 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

You act like I suggested a .458 or something?  Realistically, the kid could buy a .270 weatherby magnum and never buy another rifle for the rest of his life. He could shoot deer with it, coyotes, black bear, and anything he wants in NY.  Then if someday he expands his hunting range to out west, he can still use the same gun.  Sounds pretty good to me.  If he wants a gun to "plink" with, then get a .22

But with a plain ol' 06 or 270 win he could plink chucks and get to be a good shot, not break the bank, and not shoot just 20 rounds a year.....

And still kill anything in the lower 48 with a decnt bullet selection.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

You act like I suggested a .458 or something? Realistically, the kid could buy a .270 weatherby magnum and never buy another rifle for the rest of his life. He could shoot deer with it, coyotes, black bear, and anything he wants in NY. Then if someday he expands his hunting range to out west, he can still use the same gun. Sounds pretty good to me. If he wants a gun to "plink" with, then get a .22

Biz. Know your audience and try just a tad of realism. 15 year old kid. Already knows the gun he wants. Had a caliber question. And anything he is likely to shoot in his young career he can with the 06 or 270 win. The best thing he can do for himself is shoot and shoot some more. That is best done with an affordable round. The belted mags don't fit that category. IMO

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Point taken. I'm not here to argue. Just to offer suggestions like others.

Me either. When I see someone new coming in I just want to see them shooting as much as they can with their hunting rifle. While there are a ton of excellent rounds out there some just are harder to find, harder recoil and more expensive to shoot. That was the point I was trying to make