How do you instill confidence in yourself?

TeeBugg

Someone mentioned hunting is different from killing, that's true. If I wanted to just put some brown on the ground, I'd go to NJ and use my nuisance tags over ag plots. Now that the farm is under control, I'm back at hunting the big woods in NY, public land, on the ground with a bow. Hunting is what YOU make it to be, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Why not take advantage of their acres , plots and time spent patterning. Go whack a doe, get her off your case. Then carry on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I shouldve added...its not go hunt there by myself. Its go there and a family member will "guide" me. Then sit in the stand with me an tell me what i can shoot. I dont do that garbage. Ive been hunting for over ten years, 8 years of it bowhunting. I dont need a guide or someone to hold my hand....nor do i need someone to tell me what i can and cant shoot. Lets put it this way...basically im "hunting" because they are tagged out. All it really is, is a reason to be in the woods to scout for gun season. Already seen pics of a buck that i was told nope cant shoot it. Dont get me wrong i love the family, we just hunt differently. Im taking a break and regrouping.

I shouldve added...its not go hunt there by myself. Its go there and a family member will "guide" me. Then sit in the stand with me an tell me what i can shoot. I dont do that garbage. Ive been hunting for over ten years, 8 years of it bowhunting. I dont need a guide or someone to hold my hand....nor do i need someone to tell me what i can and cant shoot. Lets put it this way...basically im "hunting" because they are tagged out. All it really is, is a reason to be in the woods to scout for gun season. Already seen pics of a buck that i was told nope cant shoot it. Dont get me wrong i love the family, we just hunt differently. Im taking a break and regrouping.

that was the other impression I got from your post...I wouldn't want someone else treating me like a child either..........take that break and regroup.

Edited by jjb4900

One of the things I love most about hunting is how quickly your season can go from the worst ever to the best. All it takes is the right deer.

I have been at it for 20 seasons now. Every one has been different. Some I can't step in the woods without passing on deer, others I have to hunt all season before killing anything. You have to take the good with the bad. I do the same thing for good and bad seasons, hunt. Just keep hunting and it will all come together.

If this is your first bad time in 10 years, then I would say your doing really well. Is that a confidence booster?

• Like 1

Just get out there and hunt and while you're at it , get a new girl friend ...... B)

Lol i went out today and didnt see anything. Had a bird fly into my chest ha! Thats my luck. Shes loosened up since the argument. It was simple i told her this is the first year that ive had such crummy luck, but the rut is picking up an things should come together!

I've been in similar situation before.  A friend of mine's boss owns property in PA and him and his buddies tag out within a week out there.  Laugh at me when they listen to my stories as if they're some master hunter and I'm some bumbling idiot.  Offered to take me out there and show me how to "really hunt".  My view on it is if someone does all the leg work (scouting, patterning, etc) for you, it doesn't take much to do nothing but pull a trigger.

Outside of DEC and NYS state laws, you hunt with your own set of rules.  I rather hunt on my own terms.  Sure, chasing deer on public land has been really frustrating.  I've been busted so many times, had small game hunter walk right through where we had set up a push, etc. but it makes my successes all that more satisfying and rewarding.  Knowing that you did all the work from start to finish makes it truly your success.

• Like 1

Don't be so hard on yourself, actor Ricky Schroeder said in article I read many years ago you don't have to kill anything to enjoy hunting. I haven't gotten a  deer in 9 years but I still enjoy it. Most outdorsman are very good people and don't need to see a  therapist.  when I can get time to go the woods to hunt , cut firewood or just walk around the trouble can go away quickly. I know some people shoot anything if it is brown it is down opening day of gun season around here , others will wait for the right deer to present a shot, many end up having tag soup. Set some realistic goals for yourself and go with it. Good Luck

• Like 1

I agree . Some of it is just plain luck like being in the right tree stand at the right time . I watched deer go by one of my stands when I was about 250 yards away . If I had been in that stand , I would have had a shot . As "luck" would have it , I wasn't .

I ate all my tags last year for the 1st time in many years but I still enjoyed being out in nature .

TeeBugg You are not alone Having the same crappy luck this year wrecked my shoulder a few years ago

this year it started acting up again Sat night night I thought my luc was going to change NNice doe came out 15 yards I thought easy shot shoulder went weak could not get bow past the high point of the Cam well yesterday the Ole Hoyt Rampage XT went Bye Bye 6th deer in 2 years I had trouble drawing on

went & bought a Mathews ZXT was nervous less then a week till we head to NY but I shot the heck out of it yesterday & I feel like a whole different hunter already Not saying to go out & buy a new bow but for me. just being able to draw my bow back without issue was a big boost to me

I would shoot your bow do something a little different in your hunt it really doesn't take much to boost your confidence & biggist advice I can give you is forget about everyone else Hunt for YOU I have done the same the more pressure you put on yourself the worse you will make it

Good Luck & Enjoy God's playground

it's 10/21 and you're worried your tag isn't filled? dude...

hunt for yourself and not for the "respect" of others. Take some time off and let your stands cool. let your buck fever set back in. Shoot some more, rewash your clothes, hang dry them outside for a few days, spray them down with hunt dry, reactivate your carbon in the dryer and double check everything you're wearing is clean. Release, boots, knife, watch etc. all need to be sprayed down. The rut hasn't even started, don't worry about not filling your tag yet, and if you don't fill your tag; who cares? The only person should be you, and not others.

Edited by Belo

Bring along some small game tips and whack some squirrels with the bow...If you get the feeling of drawing on a live target and have success without the pressure f killing a deer it may just reinstall the confidence necessary to seal the deal. And if it doesn't happen, SO WHAT! It is only hunting (supposed to be pleasurable right?) like others have said.

jesus that's your advice? heck i think it's easier to shoot a fat doe broadside than those pesky squirrels... let alone flinging arrows in the deer woods.

For you a fat doe broadside is easy...for him it doesn't seem to be-IF the pressure of KILLING A DEER is getting to him and all other things(form, shot, equipment) are all good, not focusing on killing deer may be helpful - it may also help to realize that hitting a tiny target can instill confidence (i think that was the question)or remind him that even shooting at a fat doe means aiming at a very small target (about the size of a squirrel?)on that fat doe-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

For you a fat doe broadside is easy...for him it doesn't seem to be-IF the pressure of KILLING A DEER is getting to him and all other things(form, shot, equipment) are all good, not focusing on killing deer may be helpful - it may also help to realize that hitting a tiny target can instill confidence (i think that was the question)or remind him that even shooting at a fat doe means aiming at a very small target (about the size of a squirrel?)on that fat doe-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

i agree with all this, I guess my thought was if he's missing the squirrels too than it's going to make it worse. I've never shot at a squirrel, i just dont imagine it's easy.

it's 10/21 and you're worried your tag isn't filled? dude...

hunt for yourself and not for the "respect" of others. Take some time off and let your stands cool. let your buck fever set back in. Shoot some more, rewash your clothes, hang dry them outside for a few days, spray them down with hunt dry, reactivate your carbon in the dryer and double check everything you're wearing is clean. Release, boots, knife, watch etc. all need to be sprayed down. The rut hasn't even started, don't worry about not filling your tag yet, and if you don't fill your tag; who cares? The only person should be you, and not others.

Thats the approach ive taken. Everything is hanging outside to air dry. Let the woods and myself cool off for a few days and regroup!
  • Like 1

i agree with all this, I guess my thought was if he's missing the squirrels too than it's going to make it worse. I've never shot at a squirrel, i just dont imagine it's easy.

I havent resorted to whacking squirrels yet...key word yet. Use the tails for fishing lures and eat the rest!

Belo was right about taking some time, wash your clothes and spray everything down.  With the rut right around the corner, try a drag line, even some bleating, grunting, and maybe even rattle.  Sometimes it's the little things that pay big dividends.  I've hunted for 45 years, 9 years with a bow, haven't gottin one bow hunting yet, but I've had more fun, and great opportunities than if I didn't bow hunt. Seen a lot of big deer, learned patience, just one more step away from filling a tag. My son gets one just about every year and they've all been real nice.  It's tough when the "family" kids you "How many have YOU shot ?" and I tell em "The right buck just hasn't come along yet!!!"  And besides, it gets me out of the house every weekend till Xmas.  Here's what you do when you tired of listening to it - Take 2 Margaritas and call me in the morning.  Gun seasons right around the corner.  Best of luck and god bless.

Sounds like you are bothered by what other people think,ones that have scored this year and you have not .If they think it is a contest who gets the biggest,most or soonest.That is up to them to think what they want.It should not bother or upset you.Gust block it out of you mind and go out there and hunt ,enjoy the outdoors, It is what you think not what they do that will make yourself happy.Hang in there the big one will show up.It's a waiting game. 

• Like 1