True definition of a "meat hunter"?

TeeBugg

For the 10th time, I don't do this. All I'm saying is I have more important things to worry about as opposed to worrying what other people do with their legally shot and tagged deer. Like I said many times, I only shoot bucks and donate them. I keep the backstraps & antlers only. I get a DMP each year incase I ever saw an albino or piebald doe. Typically, towards the end of the gun season, I give away my DMP tag. The last 2 years I gave it away to members of this forum who I had never met before.

To say you don't care what other hunters do, and when a large majority of this forum is all about the youth hunt is baffling. I hear all about how important it is to get youth involved. Preserve the sport. But to not care about the guys just killing for fun? You not worrying about your peers who give the sport a bad image only puts your sport at risk. We are all very honed in on illegal activities. Blatantly obvious ethical issues should be a concern as well.

To the others. when you guys shoot these deer... Do you leave the tag on the dead deer in the woods?

Oh, and since this thread is about "meat hunters", I am still stumped over why anyone would get excited in the least over eating deer ribs?  Now, I honestly don't care what people want to eat, they can even eat the hair and skin for all I care, I use as much of the deer myself as I possibly can, but exactly how much meat are you getting from deer ribs, even if they were prepared in the greatest of ways??  Like a couple of millimeters worth between each rib??  Between the fat and silver skin, I sure as hell don't see much meat there.  Maybe you dudes are just pulling our legs here, but I simply don't see what could possibly be appealing about deer ribs????  I think the fat that I'd carve off the deer hind quarters would be less chewy than those bloody ribs!!

Oh for God sakes get off your high horse. What in the HELL are you doing using the METRIC SYSTEM? THis is America!...lol

You can not tell this. That year and a half old buck could have better gene potential that the 4.5 year old buck has.  and you have no idea of the half the doe will bring into the equation. Any genetic arguments in a wild herd is made for the sake of hearing themselves talk. or thousands of years we have been hunter gatherers. we have taken targets of opportunity. The most gain while expending the least.

Some major contradictions we have as hunters is that we go after the buck with the biggest antlers or the fattest doe.  As a result, we're actually removing the most desirable genetics from the herd.  In nature, the weakest and smallest are removed from the gene pool.  Hunters do the opposite. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Belo - I live in Westchester and work in NYC. If I was worried about stereotypes and/or what people thought of me hunting, I would have quit a long time ago. I've never hunted with a friend in my entire. I don't know anybody who hunts except my Dad and my late Grandfather. I could care less what "non-hunters" or "anti's" think of me.

This forum is pretty dead without the lively debates.  Looking at the posts with the game cam pictures, or the live reports from someones treestand are as exciting as watching paint dry.

Says the guy who stated he doesn't think about hunting much at all before the season, in August on a hunting forum. Zing!

Ah, you must be one of those lowly gun hunters?

I can play along. Sheesh.

BINGO - we have a winner - give that man a cupie doll!   You're right. I am a lowly gun hunter. Why you ask? Because due to past injuries I'm unable to draw a traditional bow and the lobbyists and politicians choose to not allow me to  use a crossbow, but that a whole different can of worms... 

BINGO - we have a winner - give that man a cupie doll!   You're right. I am a lowly gun hunter. Why you ask? Because due to past injuries I'm unable to draw a traditional bow and the lobbyists and politicians choose to not allow me to  use a crossbow, but that a whole different can of worms... 

No worries my man. I have no problems with what you say...just pointing out the obvious ridiculousness of this thread classifying hunters, which really doesn't do anything for us in a positive light.

You hunt, I hunt, that is all that really matters.

• Like 2

Says the guy who stated he doesn't think about hunting much at all before the season, in August on a hunting forum. Zing!

Yeah, and what does this have to do with what's being discussed here in this thread in October?  I don't think I posted anything at all from January to late June on this forum.  This thread interested me enough to chime in.  I certainly don't get the same urge on the threads discussing deer beds.  LOL

I hunt because I enjoy the outdoors, the sport, and the table fare it provides.  What I harvest is no ones business, I don't brag about the bucks I shoot and I've been very blessed with what hunting has provided me over the 30 years in the game.  I will go out of my way to congratulate any other ethical hunter on a legally killed animal.  I was brought up not to judge others' decisions (in life or sport) and my other hunter friends know that.  With that said they will never judge what I decide to harvest.  Yes, I fill my freezer every year with a fine animal.  It's my choice if I decide to let a young deer pass buck or doe and it's my family that will be eating the animal not the person who is passing judgement in what I harvested.  At the end of the day just do it the way you feel is right, ethical and legal.  

• Like 2

Yeah, and what does this have to do with what's being discussed here in this thread in October?  I don't think I posted anything at all from January to late June on this forum.  This thread interested me enough to chime in.  I certainly don't get the same urge on the threads discussing deer beds.  LOL

Little bucks are too easy to shoot to worry about beds, right? LOL.

• Like 1

Little bucks are too easy to shoot to worry about beds, right? LOL.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  If I don't see deer from a stand, I go after them on foot.  I don't consider hunting a science.  I just hunt with my eyes and ears and the weapon of my choosing.  Has worked out OK for me over the years.

Phade have you always been a sarcastic jerk all your life?? You were just so sarcastic to that guy on the other thread, who has only posted here 12 times. Simple question about putting out scent. Way to go, I'm sure he will be back real soon. 

No. Realistic and honest...yes.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Not everyone's ideas are great 100% of the time, and if you can't laugh at your own ingeniousness, then you have missed the point of life.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  If I don't see deer from a stand, I go after them on foot.  I don't consider hunting a science.  I just hunt with my eyes and ears and the weapon of my choosing.  Has worked out OK for me over the years.

Why don't you hang a bottle with some milk out in front like a carrot on a stick. That'll bring em in.

Good luck this year Steve, you bring levity to this forum, regardless of what anyone says.

Phade have you always been a sarcastic jerk all your life?? You were just so sarcastic to that guy on the other thread, who has only posted here 12 times. Simple question about putting out scent. Way to go, I'm sure he will be back real soon.

He's the great white hunter. Knows it all, but won't post his pics. That's all you need to know about phade.

i guess i am a meat hunter . i eat whatever i get . sometimes i dont get anything but i am lucky to have a brother-in-law and sister that always seam to get a deer .  i love to just be out there in the woods . i remeber one day it was raining and i came over the top of a knoll and there stood a big buck ,i got him in my scope and all i could do was watch him .to see him shake every little drop of water off himself was awesome .it was like slow motion .  i put my gun down and watched him . i think he was the one i was suppose to have on my wall but i let him walk away . i have never seen another that big . i dont think i ever will. but what i do get i eat . sorry i went off course lol . that happens with me lol. yes i am a meat hunter.

• Like 2

i guess i am a meat hunter . i eat whatever i get . sometimes i dont get anything but i am lucky to have a brother-in-law and sister that always seam to get a deer .  i love to just be out there in the woods . i remeber one day it was raining and i came over the top of a knoll and there stood a big buck ,i got him in my scope and all i could do was watch him .to see him shake every little drop of water off himself was awesome .it was like slow motion .  i put my gun down and watched him . i think he was the one i was suppose to have on my wall but i let him walk away . i have never seen another that big . i dont think i ever will. but what i do get i eat . sorry i went off course lol . that happens with me lol. yes i am a meat hunter.

The memories are the best thing about the entire activity.

• Like 1