blaze orange or mostly camo

aqua750

I wear black and red plaid jacket for gun season. Old school.

Not one of those old time Woolrich ones?  Man, I had a suit of those when I was young. Wanna talk HEAVY?!? Then throw on a pair of Micky Mouse boots and we're talking major cardio workout, especially if it it rains and that sob gets wet!  That happened to me more times than I care to remember.  I remember once that happened and then it snapped cold, and I mean cold. After sitting for a few hours I went to get up to start hunting my way out and my suit was literally ice, but I was still warm. Heavy as he&&, but warm.   Not so much for visibility/safety though.

Edited by SteveC
  • Like 1

Camo or black and red wool plaid coat with a camo blaze orange vest over it and usually camo or green wool pants. Depends on the weather, but always the orange vest. Too many wing nuts out there. Don't think that  wing nuts can't find their way onto private land.

Edited by ants

one of the reasons I take off my blaze when I sit is (and I've seen this firsthand) there are some hunters out there who see blaze orange and say ooh I wonder who that is? Then to my horror they take an ole look see through their rifle scope. Like I said I;ve actually seen this and I'm willing to bet it happens often. After screaming at the dumbass "that's what binos are for" he was not invited back to our camp.

one of the reasons I take off my blaze when I sit is (and I've seen this firsthand) there are some hunters out there who see blaze orange and say ooh I wonder who that is? Then to my horror they take an ole look see through their rifle scope. Like I said I;ve actually seen this and I'm willing to bet it happens often. After screaming at the dumbass "that's what binos are for" he was not invited back to our camp.

I've seen it too. Dumb ass's amaze me.....

Idiots are everywhere.  There should be some way to identify jerks that do that and pull their licenses for life.  I know, pie in the sky stuff, but it'd be nice.

Idiots that don't know/follow safe practices are menaces and perfect arguments to support retroactive abortion. ;)

• Like 1

I had a trespasser pop up just 50 or so yrds behind a doe I was about to pull the trigger on...had he not had an orange hat on ...well it could have been very bad....He saw all the trucks drive off and came up off his place below us in the valley....Let me tell ya...they could have heard me screaming at him in Hornell...scared the crap out of me...I can't  believe he'd actually told me that either...how dumb can one person be??...he's luck I take the time to get a good aim.....

This is the one that gets me. The old "hiding in line with game" game. Twice I have encountered guys dressed completely in camo including face paint on state land on opening day of gun. What on earth were they thinking? These two incidents were different in that fortunately there didn't happen to be any shot opportunities but similar in potential consequences. No there was no deer between us, but there could have been. I never saw either one until they moved. Now that speaks very well for the quality of their camo, but doesn't say much for the quality of their mental processes. But those two episodes were just additional situations that proved to me the value of blaze orange, or more specifically the foolishness of not wearing it. The idea of hiding from other hunters is simply ridiculousness and makes a good basis for becoming another horrible statistic. How much is a deer worth?

• Like 6

Thats why I carry binoculars  :biggrin:

If there is any kind of gun season for deer going on, I wear lots of blaze orange. That is regardless of whether it is public or private land. By the way, with today's trespassing problems, and the frequent reports of hunting partners shooting each other, I don't see any difference between public and private land on that score.

well put doc. i wear a vest and hat and for those really bitter cold days a blaze orange snow suit. still see plenty of deer and other hunters SEE me.

I will wear a blaze vest while walking to stand but I usually take it off once i'm in the stand although sometimes i just keep it on. I am starting to see more hunters and twice I have mistaken hunters for deer. Once was my dad ( he decided to wear a brown jacket) and the other was just as it was too dark to see well which turned out to be the land owner. I would rather be busted by a deer then put me or any one else in danger. 

I will wear a blaze vest while walking to stand but I usually take it off once i'm in the stand although sometimes i just keep it on. I am starting to see more hunters and twice I have mistaken hunters for deer. Once was my dad ( he decided to wear a brown jacket) and the other was just as it was too dark to see well which turned out to be the land owner. I would rather be busted by a deer then put me or any one else in danger. 

If *everyone* followed basic safety rules:  NEVER point a gun at ANYTHING until you're SURE you're going to shoot it there wouldn't be a problem.  But until Darwinism really works (read as: never) protecting your azz from idiots should be your #1 priority.

I am shocked how many actually have it orange on and take it off when they are sitting.

Why?

in the morning when I walk in I don't wear orange at all. It's dark and I have a headlamp on. If you shoot me then? well...

For me I wear a ballcap in anyhow, so during gun it's an orange hat. Then switch to a facemask when I cool down. I have a vest that I put on on the way out or in on afternoons. It's real easy to take off. You're right that it probably doesn't matter. It's just psychological I guess. Plus no need for other hunters to know I'm there IN A TREE. haha.

I am shocked how many actually have it orange on and take it off when they are sitting.

Why?

I take it off so I am less visible to deer but it still can be seen by other hunters the way I put it. I also use it to help stabilize my gun when im in my stand. Last season I only took it off one day and the other day I kept it on for some reason. 

every now and then i will wear orange when walking on state land...but usually if i go to state land i'm in a tree from and hour before sunrise to an hour after...cant see orange in the dark...

i personally think the orange vests/hats/jackets show a shade to deer that is identifiable to them which is why i do not like it...

not to me, makes about the same amount of sense

driving a car on a city street and driving a car on a highway. Still driving with different types of risk

wearing orange walking on the ground (where deer are) and not wearing it in the tree (where deer are not).

what am I missing in this analogy?

driving a car on a city street and driving a car on a highway. Still driving with different types of risk

wearing orange walking on the ground (where deer are) and not wearing it in the tree (where deer are not).

what am I missing in this analogy?

Well driving is driving, period - same risk. There are still idiot drivers around you who aren't paying attention which always puts you in a dangerous situation.

Hunting is hunting, period - same risk. There are still idiot hunters around you who aren't paying attention which always puts you in a dangerous situation.

If someone is quite a distance from you and there is a deer between the two of you which is standing on a knoll higher than the other guy - you very likely could be within his sight path and without blaze on he will probably never even know it.

If you feel comfortable betting your life upon the judgement and dedication by individuals you've never met - more power to you. I'd much rather walk out of the woods in the evening.

• Like 2

Orange wool cap walking in, I generally cover it with my camo hoodie when I sit.  I am on private property that is pretty remote.  Not a lot of hunters there, and if there were, I would know them and where they were otherwise they would be tresspassers.  I have only found one person tresspassing in the last 3-4 years and that wasn't during the season.  I think orange+movement gives you away to the deer.  Just my opinion.  When I know I will be hiking/stalking a long way, I wear my orange camo jacket and orange cap.