down deer and live bears

noodle one

A friend of mine shot a big doe last week and gave her a hour to lay up. He got down and started tracking it. He went about 80 yards and shooked (2) bear cubs up a tree. He then walked up to the tree and about 20 yards the other side laid his deer with mommy bear laying next to it. She gave a loud GRRRRRRR! and he backed off and headed for home. Now that a week has passed he is going up to check it out. So be careful out there.

That looks like bear damage, coyotes go in butt first lol. This thread makes me think, because for the first time, I am living and hunting regularly in an area with resident bears. I sure hope a bear doesnt make a mess of one of my deer.

That's what I was thinking.  From past experience with coyotes, they have rarely done more than chew on the tail and maybe a little of the hind quarter.

He didn't have to wait to recover the deer (he made a perfect shot), but we made a pact that if either of us got one, we would recover it together.  After this experience, though, I think that it's best not to wait.  I couldn't beleive the damage done in 1 hr & 1/2.  That bear must have been real close to my friend's stand and just took advantage of the easy meal.

Definitely a rarety in that amount of time for a bear or a coyote to get on that deer. Not impossible by any means. But don't think it would happen often. Just wonderin why that deer was pulled up into the tree? Made for a good pic of the damage though.

That looks like bear damage, coyotes go in butt first lol. This thread makes me think, because for the first time, I am living and hunting regularly in an area with resident bears. I sure hope a bear doesnt make a mess of one of my deer.

That's what I was thinking.  From past experience with coyotes, they have rarely done more than chew on the tail and maybe a little of the hind quarter.

He didn't have to wait to recover the deer (he made a perfect shot), but we made a pact that if either of us got one, we would recover it together.  After this experience, though, I think that it's best not to wait.  I couldn't beleive the damage done in 1 hr & 1/2.  That bear must have been real close to my friend's stand and just took advantage of the easy meal.

Well I can vouch for the speed a pack of coyotes can eat a deer, three years ago I shot a doe, gave it an 1 1/2 and walked up on a half a deer much like the one in your picture. There are alot of coyotes in this spot and they worked very fast and left not a speck of anything. Luckily they didn't touch any of the good bits and really only gutted it for us....I was surpprised at the speed and cleanlyness of the coyotes.