The long range forecast!

First-light

Looks like a nice week. I hope your temp for the opener is correct. I looked earlier in the week and they were calling for temps in the mid to upper 50s for the area I hunt. I definitely like what yours is saying a lot better. I havent wanted to look again since I looked Monday

The updated forecast for caskills has it pretty warm for first few days. And not much of a chance for snow all week. The last time we had any kind of decent snow during opening week in the catskills was around 08 I think. Shame.

At least there is some rain in the forecast though. For still hunting, anything is better than warm air, crunchy leaves and no wind.

• Like 1

Too warm. It needs to be colder.

Ya never know. 2 years ago it was 70 degrees on Sunday (2nd day of season), my Dad blew a bleat call in the afternoon and shot this 3.5yr old nice 7pt rutting hard real hard. It came charging in. I had to help my Dad drag it out, we both were in t shirts.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

post-871-13843992715627_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The problem with warm temperatures is that everybody finds a nice comfy place to sit and stays in one place all day long. Nobody moving deer.

Agreed. Ill be moving sunday no matter the weather. Gun season rolls around and i find it hard to just sit. If it gonna be a little warmer...im gonna make em move!

The problem with warm temperatures is that everybody finds a nice comfy place to sit and stays in one place all day long. Nobody moving deer.

Big time agree. Warm openers are horrible. This one could be one of the worst in recent memory.

This sounds alot like the deer dont move when its warm out garbage. They still act like deer and im sure many deer will be taken saturday regardless of weather.

It's not the deer. It's the hunters.

Opening day is that fine balance of enough pressure to keep deer moving at a high frequency throughout the day and not enough pressure to make them not move except within the confines of very small areas.

When it's mid 50s and sunny....hunters simply won't be on their feet as compared to 30s. What Doc said is right, the hunters will pick a spot and sit.

It's not the deer. It's the hunters.

Opening day is that fine balance of enough pressure to keep deer moving at a high frequency throughout the day and not enough pressure to make them not move except within the confines of very small areas.

When it's mid 50s and sunny....hunters simply won't be on their feet as compared to 30s. What Doc said is right, the hunters will pick a spot and sit.

Yes probably true with most hunters. I cant sit during gun season...i do for a bit then i move around. Im sure with the rut picking up in some places it may not be a bad idea to sit for awhile!

Edited by TeeBugg

Ya never know. 2 years ago it was 70 degrees on Sunday (2nd day of season), my Dad blew a bleat call in the afternoon and shot this 3.5yr old nice 7pt rutting hard real hard. It came charging in. I had to help my Dad drag it out, we both were in t shirts.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Nephew had the same thing happen. It was Sunday day after opener and it was 65 out. Had a big 6 pt chasing does in the middle of the day. 

I always say expect the unexpected at deer season. GL