The smallest acreage you would buy to hunt deer?

New York Hillbilly

Some really good input. Thanks! I've had it real good for the past twenty years on my land in the southern tier. I have also had the typical headaches that come with land ownership as well. Lol. Overall though my deer seasons have been those made of dreams. Even if I don't shoot a wall hanger every year, there have been a few that made it to the wall, the freezer has venison every year, and lots of memories with friends and family.

I know I will never have the same setup again in my life, especially out by Rochester. So I need to look at things with a fresh set of eyes and seek the input of those who have already unlocked the secret of how to hunt deer in and around areas far different than what I know.

Again, thanks for the help.

Edited by New York Hillbilly

True, but most don't hunt with houses in all directions. I hunt on 3-8 acres all the time with the shotgun. Houses behind me and other peoples property in front of me, with no houses.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I just stated that as a point of reference.  You can also be right next to a property line but the neighbors house is on the opposite end of their property line.

One of our favorite hunting spots was only 200 ft. wide x 500' deep. the 500' had a road on one end and the base of a hill on the other side. the 200' had farm fields on one side and wooded property on the other.No houses within 1000' - 2000' away.The other side ov the hill was a hunting club that would push deer over the hill to us.  

neighboring houses is an important consideration to any land purchase, we have five acres that is a well used travel route that would produce deer every year.........when we first bought, the neighbors on each side were great and allowed us to shoot even if we were within the 500' buffer zone, and our property is such that no matter were we hunted we were within 500' feet of their houses.........fast forward a few years, and one of them sold out to a not so nice person, now we can't even hunt our property because of him.......so, make sure whatever you buy you have enough distance that you don't have to worry about that.