The smallest acreage you would buy to hunt deer?

New York Hillbilly

i personally want at least 40-50 acres when i buy again. but honestly, you can kill very nice deer with as little as just a few acres. so long as its the RIGHT property....

depends on how much land it borders, your neighbors, what kind of land it borders, the type of timber on the property, if its all to mostly wooded, also the elevation, if its flat, straight incline, ect. all these things impact how good or bad a property will be.

The reason I'm asking is because where my home is I own a good sized property, but out by my daughter in the Rochester area, land prices are huge, as are the taxes, and everything seems to be chunked up in either building lots or just a few acres. I would like to at some point have a piece to hunt for those times I'm out there visiting.

So I guess you mean on the land itself, not counting state land it might border?

If that is the case I would say 20 acres for me, if it was the right spot. (as others have mentioned)

I have a small acreage camp, 28 acres. Borders state land though. But I rarely hunt the state land.

I know of a guy not far from me that has 3/4 of an acre, but he is smack dab in the middle of a state forest, with no neighbors. And that area is not hit very hard by hunters, I think he does well.

It has to be the "right Acres" for sure.  I would say 10 if you just want to hunt, as much as possible if you also want to manage.   The neighborhood would be my primary concern, then the wind in relation to how the property is set up.  Predominate wind, vs you stand access, vs bedding areas, travel corridors.

Not sure where you looked in Rochester, or what your budget is, but if you travel 30 to 45 min south or east it does get easier and the hunting is fantastic.  Shoot a PM if you want some further info on the area.

In regards to the 500 feet rule. If you stand in the middle of a circle and measure 500 feet out all around you, you get a circle that's a touch over 18 acres in size.

True, but most don't hunt with houses in all directions. I hunt on 3-8 acres all the time with the shotgun. Houses behind me and other peoples property in front of me, with no houses.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I have 32 now but I would opt for 50 for the right size.  But beside the size I think it is more important is the shape and prevailing wind direction in the fall. 

My property now is set up perfect.  As soon as you walk out back door wind is in your face.  Can get to stands with no problem.

NOW, if same property was across street as soon as you open door and walk into woods your scent would blow the woods out.

This is a interesting thread for me because i have plans/dreams of one day owning my own cabin and land to enjoy and hunt.

The information has been great so far. i've been browsing the listings for the last year or so and it seems only a few "good" properties come on the market a year, even though alot will say "good hunting", "hunt your own property" etc...

not easy to find in NYS.

To put the 500 by 500 ft is about 2 1/2 acres of land is about how much land needs to be between you and a building, and that is just in one directions. with you being at the very edge at the farthest point. Someday the DEC might have to change the 500 ft rule.

Actually a lot that is 500x500 it is about 5 3/4 acres

When we bought ours this year it had to meet requirements for multiple use. We wanted hunting number one with shelter. Then trails for atvs and privacy for camping. What met those requirements for us was 110 acres with a cabin.

So one of the reasons I bought my house was because there was some great trees (oak, apple, hickory) on a 5 acre plot. There are some big bucks on the property. But I'm fortunate to have my dads near by with 100+.

If I were to purchase property just to hunt, it would depend on a lot other than acreage. Food, terrain, sign, pressure etc. generally I think you can do pretty well on 30 but do not expect to manage it. The neighbors may very well shoot the yearlings you're passing on