Dogs running deer!

bigpaul

You would be wrong. I have hunted behind several very good labs as upland game flushing dogs. They are not just retrievers

pointers/flushing (i have used my golden to flush) is still a bit of a stretch for "hunting". I think of treeing an animal or running it down when I think of hunting dogs. every breed can have its exceptions of course.

you sound like a winner. Where humans are tossing babies into the garbage and there is not outrage would be interesting to hear about. Pets usually get lumped in with the "innocence" group with woman and children.

Like I said, my dog is well trained. But if we're out on a hike or he does end up in the woods and you shoot him. I'm f'n you up good. The jail time would be well worth it.

I wish other dog owners were as interested in training their dogs as well as you claim. Good for you. The dogs I refer to are those feral dogs running wild and doing harm. I will always take those out whenever I can.  Had enough of feral dogs growling and snapping at me while hunting.  Guess I'm a heartless loser when I take one out. I suppose I'm wrong to do so in your world...

Wild Cats & Dogs can be a real nuisance, especially out west. Might be a bigger problem someday in our area, who knows? When I was in Wyoming the outfitter told all hunters to shoot feral cats as they were destroying the bird populations in the area. When I was in Arizona wild dogs were an issue attacking cattle. I saw one cow with its ear hanging almost down to the ground from wild dogs.

The NYS ECL allows you to humanely kill any cat hunting, killing or possessing any protected wild bird...........it used to allow you to kill dogs found pursuing deer within the Adirondack or Catskill parks, but that seems to have been amended over the years.

pointers/flushing (i have used my golden to flush) is still a bit of a stretch for "hunting". I think of treeing an animal or running it down when I think of hunting dogs. every breed can have its exceptions of course.

You gotta get out an hunt with real bird dogs. A flusher such as a lab and English Springers do not just trot around the fields and woods and stumble across game. Watch a flusher take a trail and have it end 100 yards away with a bird going up. I used to take my Springer out with my Uncles hound to start snowshoes. the hound couldn't seem to start a cold one but eh Springer could.

Watch a Lab take a wounded duck trail up onto land and follow it through the brush.  My point is we have breed characteristics that we wanted into them and TRY to breed the ones in them we don't want out of them. At the root of it all,  they have wild roots and there are many out there are just a stones throw away form letting them out. Any breed could attack given the right conditions. Belo....you weren't raised around those ankle biter cats that are disguised as dogs, were you?

I wish other dog owners were as interested in training their dogs as well as you claim. Good for you. The dogs I refer to are those feral dogs running wild and doing harm. I will always take those out whenever I can.  Had enough of feral dogs growling and snapping at me while hunting.  Guess I'm a heartless loser when I take one out. I suppose I'm wrong to do so in your world...

you didn't specify feral dog.

You gotta get out an hunt with real bird dogs. A flusher such as a lab and English Springers do not just trot around the fields and woods and stumble across game. Watch a flusher take a trail and have it end 100 yards away with a bird going up. I used to take my Springer out with my Uncles hound to start snowshoes. the hound couldn't seem to start a cold one but eh Springer could.

Watch a Lab take a wounded duck trail up onto land and follow it through the brush.  My point is we have breed characteristics that we wanted into them and TRY to breed the ones in them we don't want out of them. At the root of it all,  they have wild roots and there are many out there are just a stones throw away form letting them out. Any breed could attack given the right conditions. Belo....you weren't raised around those ankle biter cats that are disguised as dogs, were you?

i have pheasant hunted with some great airedale. I have seen my labs snap the back of an injured squirrel. I guess my thought was that there's a difference between a dog meant to perform a certain task in aiding hunting and one that is basically to hunt the animal.

Edited by Belo

upland bird dogs are without question doing the hunting for the shooter following them........it certainly isn't the handler who is picking up the scent and tracking down the bird.

The problem is not just the dogs,Some of the people want a dog but are just too Lazy to train them Not to do certine things.I have many dogs in my lifetime, most were muts that other people disgarded,my father being kind harted as he was would take them in.

Only one has ever bitten anyone and that was a huskey/sheppard mix and not the dogs fault a neghbor tryed to take a bone from it as it was eating.

The most friendly and obident of all the dogs is the one I have now at 105 pounds a Lab./Mountian Kur mix. One of my neighbors asked why he obeys you as he does.My comment was,They are no different the one of your childen, you have to train them when they are young.But again you have to remember  the all still have that hunting instink.

The problem is not just the dogs,Some of the people want a dog but are just too Lazy to train them Not to do certine things.I have many dogs in my lifetime, most were muts that other people disgarded,my father being kind harted as he was would take them in.

Only one has ever bitten anyone and that was a huskey/sheppard mix and not the dogs fault a neghbor tryed to take a bone from it as it was eating.

The most friendly and obident of all the dogs is the one I have now at 105 pounds a Lab./Mountian Kur mix. One of my neighbors asked why he obeys you as he does.My comment was,They are no different the one of your childen, you have to train them when they are young.But again you have to remember  the all still have that hunting instink.

my dogs can get a bad instink too..........I just wash them with regular shampoo and that usually takes care of it.....but, I will say, an instink is better than an outstink.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

you didn't specify feral dog.

i have pheasant hunted with some great airedale. I have seen my labs snap the back of an injured squirrel. I guess my thought was that there's a difference between a dog meant to perform a certain task in aiding hunting and one that is basically to hunt the animal.

Sorry, I should have referred to Feral dogs from the beginning. Hope we can move on from this. Looking forward to rifle season. Good luck. 

• Like 1