Dogs running deer!

bigpaul

Humans toss babies in the trash every single day, but when it comes to their precious animals, they instantly become "pet parents" and get all worked up if one of their precious "babies" do not come home after running wild. If I come across a dog running deer on my property, it's a dead dog...sorry I got off topic a bit. 

you sound like a winner. Where humans are tossing babies into the garbage and there is not outrage would be interesting to hear about. Pets usually get lumped in with the "innocence" group with woman and children.

Like I said, my dog is well trained. But if we're out on a hike or he does end up in the woods and you shoot him. I'm f'n you up good. The jail time would be well worth it.

• Like 2

I think the problem here is we wouldn't shoot just any dog in the woods.  If it had a collar and we see it around it's neck, we have to figure it's a locals dog.  If people were going to drop of their dogs, which they have done in the past by us, they took the collars off so as not to be identified.  These dogs running with the coyotes are what we use to call coydogs, not saying mating is going on, just hookups. Big enough to survive, and probably super nasty, and not coming from a good home, just makes for a tough dog.  We've had a few over the years by us.  All the dog owners around us put on bright collars, and tags and we respect them for it.  But these people and other owners of property around us have small children and will protect them if they see a pack of dogs.  These problems seemed to happen years ago, back in the 70's and 80's and we haven't seen any dog problems on our property or the neighbors as well.  With 25 guys in the woods, somebody would probably see the dog or dogs, ask the locals, and if no tags or collar, take it out.  Would I ? Might be tough, but if it had been seen around and caused problems and no tags , how can you not? 

See what happens when we start naming the deer like pets.... "mans best friend"..aka "Fido" gets left to rot in the woods while we exhaust every  available option to recover a deer carcass, even if it means calling in the deer search dogs. 

• Like 1

Simple, its against the law and there are animal control officers paid to do that job not you and I.

Yeah, good luck with them catching the dog.  And remember, I'm talking worst case scenario here with a vicious wild dog, not someone's pet. Like I said, problem was back in the 70's and 80"s, people have a different attitude now and the laws are tighter now also.

And besides, on someone's private property, with all the shots during deer season, I can just imagine when asked what they would say.  "Dog?  What dog? I didn't see any dog."

OK lets make something perfectly clear...not every instance of shooting a dog is illegal

I shot that Lab...not illegal even though there had been a deer involved...dog turned and charged me and I hadn't even seen the deer yet

The dog warden told me when I called about neighbors dogs..if they are in fence shoot them....legal...

if you are on your property and feel threatened by the dog or dogs ..not illegal...I have been put in a hospital due to fending off a dog attack on my land and I had half my finger bitten off by a dog...any unknown dog comes at me on my land and I have a gun...it will be a dead dog period...by the way if you have never been attacked by a domestic dog...then your clueless

acc and grow make very good points and some of those situations are warranted and you have to do what you need to do. My only problem with any of the comments in the thread are regarding people shooting a loose dog that they know, or are pretty certain is a pet (lets be honest you can tell by their weight and coat conditions pretty easily) because they might be "screwing up their deer season". you have every right to be pissed. you should talk to the owner and animal control first.

your classy..really I don't go around posting pics of it..though I do think it shows up in a couple of turkey pics...by the way my surgeons name was Dr Mitten...and I'm sure guys in the Rochester area know of him...I have also mentioned that I shot an 8pt two weeks after the "amputation" surgery...he bandaged me so I could hold my bow...he's a bow hunter as well

I've never been much of a believer in the existence of the "Coy-Dog"............to believe that, you would also have to believe that a stray dog would be welcome to join up and live with a pack of Coyotes. I would think Coyote's would kill and eat a dog before they would even consider breeding with it.

Coyotes do attack dogs let loose and also kill them. However, if a dog let loose is aggressive it will fight back and in turn kill the coyote. Coyotes have, for a fact, accepted dogs into the pack. Dominance plays a huge factor.

I'd venture to say a large percentage of dogs released into the woods like that are for reasons of attacks or too aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill tell ya this if i was walking on my property with

my kids and a dog tried to attack us i would not

hesitate to defend myself or my kids.. even if i was

alone hunting id still do the same thing...a dog chasing

deer is one thing. attacking a person is a whole differant

thing.. dogs that are wild are more dangerous than any

coyote. coyotes are scared of people dogs ain't...

around here there is a leash law and people abide

bye it....

Edited by hung4wheeler

My finger incident occured a couple of weeks before bow season...

The lab incident happened during gun season...by the way I actually went to investigate their barking and when I saw the lab tugging from a distance... thought it was a dog that broke it's chain and was caught up...I approached it gun at my side thinking I was going in to unhook it and take it back to owner...not have a foaming bloody nut job charge me...

The other hospital trip was from my right thigh muscle tearing...by the way it sounds like paper tearing and is EXTREMELY painful...out of work 2wks...early spring I caught a dog running deer across the property and yelled out at it ...it turned and came at me snarling...I first fell trying to get away in the woods and fending it off with a limb...got to our road and had to go up our hill fending it off backwards...finally Mr B. heard me screaming and came out with the gun...he fired into the woods..because we were on the road...That dog got put down...the finger dog put down and I told you the yellow died later from a heart attack chasing deer...owners word not mine....the chocolate lab got fragments from the slug I shot at yellow in it's backside....Officals called on all counts...I won't mess around calling ppl any more...and I won't ever be attacked again on my own land with one walking away from it...my limits have been filled....

Believe me or not ..not the only time ...had 2 pits chase me to the house and then circle it as I was on the phone with 911...sheriff and I looked all over for them...later found out...county dog warden covered up for the owner...my male shepherd chased off  a pack of three as I watched two others...they'd come in behind me and I didn't know it until he stood his ground on them and chased them off...and I had to call him off a large chow that came in growling at me and the goats...he had it by it's neck shaking it like a rag doll

I don't know where you live but where I live is the country...ppls dumping grounds and in a town with little to no zoning ordinances...our dog control is the counties...Oh almost forgot this one...two dogs trapped me in my stand during bow season...again yelled while they chased deer...shot arrow into ground to scare them ...when they finally left I drove the 1/2 mile to owners and raised holy hell...ya ya all the kids fault...should have called cops...for they attacked and bit another neighbor while on her daily walk... dogs put down...and she now carries the scars

Am I as classy as repeating killer lab stories and advocating shooting domestic dogs?

this is a thread on dogs running deer..sorry if you are delusional enough to think a lab...by the way they are hunting dogs...not just a cool family accessory ...wouldn't run down and kill a deer...where did I every advocate shooting domestic dogs? What I relayed were the facts...not always illegal ......had I done what the dog warden told me to do instead of taking the high road because of the neighbors kids...I'd have 8 live goats...a woman wouldn't have dog bite scars  and I wouldn't have been laid up in ER's

..sorry if you are delusional enough to think a lab

One of is for sure delusional, and I know it ain't me, just saying.

Here is quick list of things that have attacked Grow

Bats

Bear

Bucks

Doe

Multiple Dogs

Chipmunks

Squirell

Poaching Neighbors

Relatives

Snakes

Bee's

Spiders

Tree limbs

Gobblins

Ghosts

Did I miss any?

• Like 1

i personally never said a dog would not run a deer.... i did say you would have to be a low life for shooting a dog period, running deer or not. if someone has to make a move in self defense and thats what it comes down to then that's entirely a different story.

this is a thread on dogs running deer..sorry if you are delusional enough to think a lab...by the way they are hunting dogs...not just a cool family accessory ...wouldn't run down and kill a deer...where did I every advocate shooting domestic dogs? What I relayed were the facts...not always illegal ......had I done what the dog warden told me to do instead of taking the high road because of the neighbors kids...I'd have 8 live goats...a woman wouldn't have dog bite scars  and I wouldn't have been laid up in ER's

i'll counter you here. I wouldn't consider a lab a hunting dog. They are retrievers used in hunting, but far from a hound or dog used to chase animals, not just retrieve them.

again, i do believe your story. (most of them anyhow ;) )

Edited by Belo

i'll counter you here. I wouldn't consider a lab a hunting dog. They are retrievers used in hunting, but far from a hound or dog used to chase animals, not just retrieve them.

again, i do believe your story. (most of them anyhow ;) )

You would be wrong. I have hunted behind several very good labs as upland game flushing dogs. They are not just retrievers

I had an all-purpose black lab that hunted everything.  She even barked when trailing rabbits, cottontails or snowshoe hares.  And yes, I did have to break her from running deer.  Caught her in the process and administered the loudest, NO!" ever.  Ever obedient, she left the deer and came to me.  Later, I left her in the house while I laid a trail of deer scent that ended with a mouse trap baited with a deer scented cotton ball....with 8 other, unbaited traps surrounding it.  I heard her spring the baited trap...and then a half dozen others as she reacted to the first.  Never ran a deer thereafter.

• Like 2

Wild Cats & Dogs can be a real nuisance, especially out west. Might be a bigger problem someday in our area, who knows? When I was in Wyoming the outfitter told all hunters to shoot feral cats as they were destroying the bird populations in the area. When I was in Arizona wild dogs were an issue attacking cattle. I saw one cow with its ear hanging almost down to the ground from wild dogs.