anybody know a reputable reasonably priced German Shorthaired Pointer breeder in or around NY ?

jkzfixme

If u are looking to mask a bird dog as a family pet, check out the Brittany breed. My male is now 9 and hunts sporadically but when he does his nose and drive are awesome- when he is home as a pet (360 days a year) he is the best- protective, patient and fun for my kids (9, 8&8)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I've owned 2 gsp, I love the breed,but if you have never owned one the are a high strung breed. They need lots of exercise daily! The one I have now is 13 and just starting to slow down plus they shed hair like crazy. As I got mine 13 years ago I couldn't recommend a good breeder but post the pics when u get one.

What is your idea of reasonable cost?

Most well breed GSP's go for $800-1000+ and I would use caution with non-reputable breeders. Popular breeds tend to ruin breeding programs.

Make sure you pick the right breed for you, there are many different breeds that are fantastic. GSP's are high strung, too much for me in the house but great in the field and somewhat easy to train.

Training is another thing you need to consider, who is going to train the dog or will you seek help from a trainer.

Here are two breeders I know and trust and have seen a good amount dogs from, coming from a non-GSP bird dog owner of corse.

http://www.baconhillkennel.com/puppies.html

http://onpointkennel.com/

I caution you if you expect to get an eight week old pup and have it perform in the field by next season. If everything falls in place that sometimes happens, but don't count on it. So I am not sure if you meant that literally or you over looked it or you are looking for an older pup or young dog?

Unfortunately I am going to butt heads with Doe Whacker and a few others on this, The only people that can argue more than deer hunters are people who run bird dogs, so that isn't a surprise... First, in my opinion, I wouldn't pay a lot for a dog or pup and wouldn't concern myself with bloodlines, breeding, reputation and all that conundrum... Second, in my opinion, and after owning, training, breeding, working for some of the big name breeder trainers of the breeds, and blowing them away in trials, wouldn't go with a GSP or a Brittany. Both are good dogs, but when you compare them to an English setter or a viszla, they are harder to train, handle once trained, and harder to kennel or live with in the house - and are no better in the field...

Whatever breed you get, pick out the female runt of the litter, unless it is overly weak or unhealthy. Get her spayed. I am telling you, stay away from alpha or even beta dogs of either sex and males in most breeds are anxious, clingy and whiney. Pick a healthy, female runt and spay her.... When you are talking retrievers, where size, strength, and cold tolerance is important,  I would be more inclined to pick a large male and put up with the significant drawbacks, but def. not for a bird dog...

, The only people that can argue more than deer hunters are people who run bird dogs, so that isn't a surprise...

, and blowing them away in trials, 

but when you compare them to an English setter or a viszla,

Whatever breed you get, pick out the female runt of the litter, unless it is overly weak or unhealthy. Get her spayed. I am telling you, stay away from alpha or even beta dogs of either sex and males in most breeds are anxious, clingy and whiney.

I agree, every dog owner thinks their dog is the best ever and can be very sensitive when they are told they aren't. Same goes for training methods, their way is the best.

Trial dogs? who wants a trialer, he wants to hunt not win ribbons...lol   I wouldn't hold a ton of stock in testing results either, I have seen some terrible dogs score big because of politics or friends being judges. They can be a gauge but you never know how many attempts were made to get that title.

Viszla...yuck, do you knit them a sweater when it gets to cold for them?  hehe

And why does every guy here recomend a dog breed that they own? Never once have I mentioned that the best breed is the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon aka The Supreme Gundog or that I own a female that will be breed in @two years. B)

My male alpha is not bad at all, he will growl/push around every dog he meets no matter the size though and that I do watch. Around home he is the best, my other male however is a pain in the ass. He is not dominate in any way shape or form and will cower from a small dog, he does pace, whine, ect. That one is a German Wirehaired pointer though he thinks he is a Griff now.

Mike Rossi what part of the state are you from?  I'm in northern Saratoga County.

A good place to look is on the German Short Haired Pointer Breeders club.  Also another forum (huntingpa.com) has a bird dog section where this topic comes up regularly and there were always recommendations as to different breeders.

The dog in my avatar is my pup Jango.  6 months GSP from a kennel in Massachusetts.  In picking a dog I went with a kennel that primarily hunted grouse and woodcock (to be closer hunters) and had dogs that were family raised.  My dogs breeder is Wolf Plain Brooks Kennel in Rehoboth Massachusetts.  Do a search they have a website and also are on facebook with a nice following.

Jen, the breeder was super nice and we talked and emailed regularly because my main issue was temperament of the dog because it was going to be a house dog and I have two kids, 5 and 4.  But that being said I have a situation at work where I can go home regularly for lunch, my wife stays at home so he always has the ability to run around in our backyard to burn off energy and not be kenneled all day. 

Haven't taken to the woods grousing yet as he is still young but he points the Sh*! out of the doves at the bird feeder.  Pretty funny to watch.

We bought ours from Hallmack Kennels, Delaware County, but I forget where exactly and it's not on their web site.

We have a brown (liver) bitch who is 6.

Yes they are great dogs but also have a high enery level and I take her to a park or forest to run almost every day.

A walk doesn't cut it, she needs to RUN a couple of miles a day.

http://www.hallmackennels.com/

While we would definetly buy another GSP from Hallmack, another option is to check for a local NAVHDA chapter near you and see what is more local to you.   When I went to a few events maybe 4 years ago, GSP's were the most popular but NAVHDA recognizes a lot of breeds.

Yes a well bread dog is probably going to cost you around $1k.

While the pointing instinct is very intense they still do require more intense training for a finished dog and for my next dog will consider one older than 8 weeks and with some training under his or her belt.

Believe me the NA (Natural Ability) test requires more training than you would first think.

looking for a bird dog for next season ... got clearance from the woman under the guise of " for the kid " =) anybody know somebody in or around NY , PA area who has a good reputation ?

Do you have any experience with gsp? Reason I ask is they are a very high energy dog requiring huge amounts of exercise and attention .my father had many of them when bird hunting in wny was a walk in the park.i resisted owning one because I remember the hours and hours required to keep them mentally and physically satisfied.i decided I respected that breed too much to half ass it and they deserve better.i went with a Brittany for bird hunting and a pet .

Thanks for the words of wisdom !  I live on 40+ acres about 15 minutes away from work so I don't think the exercise & training part will be to much to bear.  I know its going to be a work in progress and don't expect him to master working the field by next year, but I will be working with the pup and the boy daily. I have a friend who raises pheasants so I can introduce him to birds early and get him pointing consistently. During season I bird hunt 3-4 times a week so I have no lack of dedication =) 

Here's my 4 yo GSP, Wyatt.  He came from a breeder in Michigan.  You might want to call some game bird preserves in the area.  They might know of someone that can hook you up with a dog.  I know a guy from my club on LI that trains and on occasion has a dog for sale.  His name is Steve Anker and he trains at Hunter's Garden.  There is Indian Creek Kennel in Northern NJ.  The owner is Gary and he specializes in English Pointers but I've seen him with GSP's on occasion.

My guy is a big male and extremely obsessed with birds.

Mike Rossi is giving good advice in terms of looking for a runt female.  The best GSP I ever hunted over is my friends dog and she was the runt.  I like her size and wish my dog was smaller.

Having 40 acres will be great for you and your pup.  Good luck.

post-2199-0-04908500-1384375874_thumb.jp

Catskill Pheasantry has a litter of liver and black GSPs that are now 4 weeks old.  They'll be take-home age just in time for XMas.

Now that sounds good.  Please no pics or I might wind up with a second GSP.  I've already lingered too long on agross's avatar.

Edited by PWGUNNY

Here is a picture of my little buddy Hank. I picked him up in PA last year in October. He isn't a GSP though, he is a drahthaar. He is one energetic boy! He is just starting to be calm enough to be in with family most of the time. I am hoping to get him to be able to shed hunt for me.

post-3783-0-80934300-1384481072_thumb.jp

The cost of the dog initally doesnt mean anything...a free mutt will cost as many thousands as a pure bred in the end.

Research and obseved good dogs...a 10-15 year hunting companion you cherish shoukdnt be based on dollars...afterall if you have time to spare so you cna bird hunt your balance must be good anyway

Ive owned 2 GSPs and a GWP...want a good dog? keep em on birds, discipline and love him

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...