I'm crazy

fadetoblack188

Boy, some of you even wash your backpacks every week?   That's more than I do for sure.  I don't even wash my outer jacket until the season is over, or I've gotten it bloody bad enough.  I'll use any detergent I bought on sale, too.  LOL  My idea of scent control is to smell like a wild man, this way the animals will think I'm one of them and this is NO joke.  They might be more accustomed to a smell like that, than the artificial scent blocker sprays you guys spray over yourselves.  Won't guarantee that my idea works better than any other, but I have snuck in pretty close to more than one deer over the years without paying any attention to scent control.  In my opinion it's all up to the deer.  I'm sure some have a better sense of smell than others, and what might repulse one, may make another one curious.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

During bow, just knowing I want to draw the deer in within 30 yards, and not getting all that many opportunities to do that, I don't want to take that chance in spooking him.  During gun, hopefully by the time he starts testing the air at a 100 yards, he's in the crosshairs and it's too late.  And besides, if I smoked while bow hunting, my SON would KILL ME!!!

Edited by accman

We are usually on the same page, Wooly! LOL There isn't much we over-ANALyze when it comes to hunting. We strap on our boots and shoot straight when we see one. It's far from rocket science.

Wildlife biology and ecology is actually science... But yeah most hunters are not scientific in their approach that is for sure.

The wind (and thermal) info is obviously better to understand than just spraying yourself down with the most expensive products, but you guys who think the deer like the way you and your cigs and coffee and baloney smell are a real treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

I try to be as scent free as possible ...but I've had a mature buck come rt to me ...we're talking mere ft...lower his head lip curl...bob..shake his head side to side ...and I had my work clothes on and stunk to high heaven..and no...I was to old by then..nuff said...I've had doe and fawn walk up to me as I sat in total blaze orange and the fawn poked me in the knee with it's nose...and a buck walk up and sniff my ear as I tried to hide from him in the dark......just depends on the deer..but being as scent free as possible helps

Wildlife biology and ecology is actually science... But yeah most hunters are not scientific in their approach that is for sure.

Having Phd's in either won't make anyone a great hunter all by itself.  It helps to know some biological basics about deer, but what's needed to be a successful hunter is far from high level science.