So my fiance wants to get involved...

jimbo91

After hunting this weekend, my saw my deer and wanted to get involved, so i gave her my cousins bow and said pull this back, it was set at 35 pounds, and she struggled. I didn't want to be mean, but what do i tell her if she wants to hunt but cant really pull back a 35# bow?

condition her to start learning to pull that bow back. she will be able to pull it back and possibly more. encourage her to start shooting the bow and set a goal for next season... perhaps bring her into the woods a few times for hunts and see if it something that really would interest her. she would have to see other sides of the spectrum when it comes to hunting not just the shooting part. goodluck with it all!

LOL...first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the post. crank that bow up to about 70 pounds...tell her it is 20 ...."Sorry honey...you just don't have the strength"

Unless she is this girl.  This one can probably pull 100 lbs with one arm while she uses you to do curls with the other!  ;) 

post-724-13145536636_thumb.jpeg

After hunting this weekend, my saw my deer and wanted to get involved, so i gave her my cousins bow and said pull this back, it was set at 35 pounds, and she struggled. I didn't want to be mean, but what do i tell her if she wants to hunt but cant really pull back a 35# bow?

Jimbo ---- Maybe she might want to try the new Bowtech ..........

LOL...first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the post. crank that bow up to about 70 pounds...tell her it is 20 ...."Sorry honey...you just don't have the strength"

Haha, I know you guys are just joking, but I think it's great that she expressed interest! Even if she can't draw it at 35, with practice she might. Or, get her started with a rifle/shotgun first. I have some health issues and am not terribly strong for a girl so I may not ever be able to bowhunt but I have a great time with my shotgun every year.

We need to encourage interested 'newbie' hunters as long as they are doing it for the right reasons. :)

Like someone mentioned earlier , take her to a bow shop where they have a tech that has been around for a while . He may have some advice on a bow that would be easier to draw back . Don't give up .It's really great that she is interested . Don't let her lose that !

My girlfriend wanted to start shooting bow. I had a Bear Whitetail Hunter last season, For me it set to it's max which I believe was 65 lbs. That bow is as easy as s#%t to adjust so I simply backed it down to the lowest setting and let her go at it. For some reason I don't think the poundage on the old whitetail hunter is very accurate because the 65 lbs on that one seemed a lot easier than the 65 lbs on my new one, maybe it's just the design, but needless to say it was a good start for her and she lost interest VERY quickly. The first 4:30 A.M wake up she realized she wasn't a fan of hunting!