DEC stopped in my camp on opening day...

First-light

Bring a wire tie with you and just fill it out and attatch it...  For anyone who has never tagged a deer, bring a zipplock bag to put the tag in.  Know the town, WMU and date and fill them when you recover the animal.

great idea, then if you get luckyt like I did once where the tag came off in some brush, the ECO backtrailed it with me, and he was the one to find it on the ground, all filled out, and where the zip tie tore off, got lucky on that one

Bring a wire tie with you and just fill it out and attatch it...  For anyone who has never tagged a deer, bring a zipplock bag to put the tag in.  Know the town, WMU and date and fill them when you recover the animal. 

no need to attach till your done dragging and at the point of transport or at your camp.............no reason to risk having it tear off and losing it.

I find no need to read about things which were already taught to me by an instructor. If I did then I'd find myself reading all day on every subject under the sun.

the stuff taught in the hunter's ed class barely touches on all the regulations that everyone should know before heading out hunting.....it's a "hunter safety course" and that's about it.

I find no need to read about things which were already taught to me by an instructor. If I did then I'd find myself reading all day on every subject under the sun.

I don't know when you took your course but I know a lot has changed in the 24 years since I took mine.  Heck, there have been a lot of things that changed since last year.

I learned in my 1st hunters ed course that you need to attach the tag immediately. Then in my bow course, the instructor noted that he does it after dragging, and it doesn't need to be attached until the deer leaves the ground. Thanks to you guys I just learned that it has to be FILLED out at the time of recovery. I didn't know about that, I used to drag it to the truck, fill it out there and attach then throw it in the back.

The way this reads, you could stand to peruse the syllabus.  You just said that you didn't know it needed to be filled out immediately and that you'd been doing it incorrectly in the past.

Edited by covert

two years ago. I'm a relatively new hunter. Sites like this are important to my education on hunting.

That's kind of what I'm getting at.  Would you be better served by looking at the rule book that is put out by the very people who are going to bust you for not following it, or by a bunch of strangers on the Interwebs with different interpretations and ideas on the rules?

Don't get me wrong Cusehunter; it's great to get input from others who may have more experience or different perspectives, and I'm not just directing my "read the book" comments at you, I just hate to see people rely on sometimes questionable or flat out incorrect information when there is a free official source readily available.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong Cusehunter; it's great to get input from others who may have more experience or different perspectives, and I'm not just directing my "read the book" comments at you, I just hate to see people rely on sometimes questionable or flat out incorrect information when there is a free official source readily available.

you're 100% correct, if anyone needs information on the regulations, READ the regulations.......these sites are great for a lot of advise, but if you want the correct legal advise, go elsewhere.

I have yet to score my first deer smart guy xD .  I have let 2 button bucks and 3spikes go as I was in AR areas so I didnt shoot them, although i had a DMP tag.  I am simply asking a question to try and fully understand the laws.  Jeez, everyone is a general on these forums

How in gods name did you think that was directed at you? I was busting First-Lights stones about shooting a button buck and a half rack on opening week!

Always thought that was a silly rule,  a buck a Male animal and a doe is a Female animal.

not classified as buck and doe classified as antlered and antlerless antlered has ot be over 3 inches on one side.  On the pother hand if you shoot an antlered doe, you have to use your buck tag or antlered deer tag.

Tagging

Here's what you must do immediately upon killing a deer or bear:

1. Fill in all information on the carcass tag and report tag with ink that won't erase.
  2. Detach the carcass tag from the report tag. Once filled in, the tag may not be altered.
  3. Keep the report tag, you will need it when you report your deer or bear.
  4. The month and date must also be cut or marked in ink on the margin of the carcass tag.
  5. You do not need to attach the tag to the carcass while it is being dragged or physically carried from the place of kill to a camp or point where transportation is available.
  6. Once you get to the camp or vehicle, attach the tag to the deer or bear immediately.
  7. Keep the tag attached to the carcass until it is cut up and prepared for consumptio

This bears repeating

not classified as buck and doe classified as antlered and antlerless antlered has ot be over 3 inches on one side.  On the pother hand if you shoot an antlered doe, you have to use your buck tag or antlered deer tag.

But when you call it in you say it was a male.