LP Heating Guys...

phade

I'm not the most handy-man inclined person out there. I can generally figure stuff out a bit. My home is heated on propane.

So, my house flooded in June. I have a ventless standalone fireplace in the lower level, no electric needed to start. I generally don't use it much, except when downstairs (not all that often) and pretty much use it for emergency heating should power go out. It'll sufficiently heat my home and previously worked without much issue.

The flood level was well above the working components. I was worried it wouldn't work. After the clean-up, I spent some time trying to get the pilot to light in the summer. I eventually got it to light no problems. Was more likely just a facet of having some air in the pipeline. It lit up and I let it run for 15 min, and shut her down, convinced I had no issues.

Here's the problem I encountered yesterday. Pilot lights, and I can turn the dial and the thing will light up. The issue occurs when the temp is reached and the fireplace turns off. The pilot remains on, and when it tries to fire back up, it won't. It's spitting out propane fine, but the pilot light isn't igniting it. I thought I heard what sounded like to me was gurgling sounds along the burners. I though maybe some water was in there, but that doesn't make sense. I figured I'd crank the thing up to as high as it would go, let it heat up and burn the water off (if that was the case). Home got nice and toasty, but the problem remains. I don't hear the gurgling any longer, though.

Pilot seems like it might not be reaching as far out as it should, but why would it light when initially turned on, but not in subsequent attempts when the fireplace tries to start back up?

Edited by phade

Not too familiar with these systems myself, but initial start up vs re-igniting sounds more like a HEAT related issue than the water you think the system may have. Perhaps after getting up, your nozzle is no longer working properly(not enough pressure I reach pilot). Just a guess.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I have one like that. The pilot light heats up this mesh wire that ignites the burners. The mesh on mine rusted out so it wasn't reaching far enough to light burners. In a pinch I cut a little piece of it and kind of wove it into the mesh so it would reach. That worked for me. Hope this helped.

Does it have a flame sensor, If it does that could be shot, you will get flame but it wont turn the gas valve all the way on,,,, or it could be dirty use a little sand paper and clean it up, The flame sensor will look like a thin round piece of metal rod thats normally bent at a 45 degree angle near the end and sits so the flame will hit it, 

Does it have a flame sensor, If it does that could be shot, you will get flame but it wont turn the gas valve all the way on,,,, or it could be dirty use a little sand paper and clean it up, The flame sensor will look like a thin round piece of metal rod thats normally bent at a 45 degree angle near the end and sits so the flame will hit it, 

I think that's called the thermocoupler, had one go bad on my gas furnace a few years ago............if I remember correctly, if it's bad, it won't allow the gas valve to open at all.

Thanks for the replies, it's giving me a few ideas to look at.

I thought maybe the thermocoupler, but if it lights upon initial try but not on subsequent re-fires (automatically) and I can smell/hear the propane coming out, I thought that may not be it.

The pilot flame looked shorter but not by much, maybe that's the cause here...I guess I just don't get why it wouldn't reach the propane to fire in subsequent attempts but would on the first.