component shortages

Doc

These bullet hoarding s.o.b.s are still having an effect on component availability. I just came from Beikirch's without spending a cent. Just about no powder, and no 150 grain Hornady SST bullets. The story is that the components are all going to the bullet manufacturers instead of the small distributers. Manufacturers are apparently cranking out factory ammo to satisfy the hoarders. Not only that but I heard that Obama is trying to shut down lead manufacturing in the U.S.  That's going to have a huge effect on bullet costs. Not sure where the guy got that tid-bit or how reliable it is.

Oh by the way, the Safe Act supposedly has no impact on components. So if we can get past all this hoarding crap, those of us who re-load should theoretically be able to shop mail order for components again.

• 4 weeks later...

I buy as much as I can also. DHS is definitely buying crap loads of hollow point ammo to use against Us and there scared as hell. So it also scares people so they buy more ammo if SHTF we don't want to loose we want to win lol. And the last lead smelter I think is in Missouri and that's the word its closing.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

The foundry is being closed. Don't worry about the lead shortage, you won't be needing it for bullets in a couple years, lead bullets will banned.  Uncle Sam is already moving forward, that is why DHS bought 5 years worth of leaded ammo.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/21/end-line-for-lead-bullet-regulations-bans-force-switch-to-green-ammo/

• 1 month later...

I was looking into how much it'd cost to reload 9mm hand gun loads and it started getting close to what I pay for factory stuff at about 25 cents per round.

Wow. That doesn't even seem right.

If you buy bulk you can get 115gr FMJ for about .11/ round

Primers will be .035/round

powder will run around .015 / round )only buying 1# jugs

Brass if you have to buy new will run about .25 per round but figuring at least 5 reloads is .05 / round ( I have .357 brass that is on the 9th reload and still looks great. I don't load hot and crimps are mild)

That would give you .21 per round and that is very conservative pricing. You can do better on the brass and a bit on the powder numbers. May even be able to better the bullet number if you watch for sales.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

road trip Doc, lets go into PA :)

maybe Eddie will join lol

Geno...Cooper's in Mansfield, Pa is a place to check. The Mermaid's son went down there around Xmas time and got some components . He said they had a pretty fair stock at that time.

You could check Beikirch's new store in Knoxville, also.

Edited by Pygmy

You could check Beikirch's new store in Knoxville, also.

I was at the shop in Rochester yesterday. Powder was on short supply but they had primers. Bullets seemed pretty well stocked. I grabbed a thousand small rifle and a thousand small pistol. Remingtons, I like the CCI's better but I haven't seem them on shelves in a while

When I went to Beikircks looking for rifle primers , I was looking strictly for CCI large rifle primers which they didn't have . Primers can vary a bit in a load and I have something that works for me so I don't want to have to re-tweak a load using a different primer . I was told at Beikirchs , a couple months ago , that when they got the primers in they would sell 2 boxes ( 200 primers ) to any customer that wanted them to avoid the hoarding . I don't know for fact that they have done this or not .

I was told at Beikirchs , a couple months ago , that when they got the primers in they would sell 2 boxes ( 200 primers ) to any customer that wanted them to avoid the hoarding . I don't know for fact that they have done this or not .

That wasn't the case yesterday. It was two boxes but they were 1,000 boxes.

The other sad part of it is and I am a guy who started stocking up about three four years ago. I also mentioned on here that you might want to think about it then. But even though I mold bullets for plinking in all my centerfire and muzzleloaders. I still do not shoot anywhere as much as I used to for fear I will not be able to find primers and powder in the future.  I was looking for varget for the 7-087 and 300 savgae.  My local guy called me last week and said he finally got in a powder order from last may.  I got 4 pounds of varget and some 4064 and 4895 as well as 4831.  I have tons of brass primers and bullets.  i still want to conserve.  

The other sad part of it is and I am a guy who started stocking up about three four years ago. I also mentioned on here that you might want to think about it then. But even though I mold bullets for plinking in all my centerfire and muzzleloaders. I still do not shoot anywhere as much as I used to for fear I will not be able to find primers and powder in the future.  I was looking for varget for the 7-087 and 300 savgae.  My local guy called me last week and said he finally got in a powder order from last may.  I got 4 pounds of varget and some 4064 and 4895 as well as 4831.  I have tons of brass primers and bullets.  i still want to conserve.  

That same thought is now going through my mind too. I have canceled some planned target practice because even though I have some extra components and loaded ammo, I have no idea when or if there will ever be relief on these shortages. So now I have been backing off target practice sessions waiting until a group of us get together rather than just going out any time I feel like it.

I was going pretty much every weekend from spring to deer season. I shot trap and sporting clays weekly. I was stocked up well before any shortages simply because I would shoot a lot.  I would take an arsenal and sen the afternoon unwinding and shooting.  I went three times last summer.  

Edited by bubba