Wish my Wife was a hunter

Taylormike

I always thought this sounded like a good idea untill I tried it a few times.

I've never been so distracted and annoyed in my life. The outdoors in general is something I enjoy most solo.

I don't put myself out there to entertain, impress, or enlighten anybody. I don't like to go home because someone else is cold, bored, hungry, or scared. I don't want to be aggrevated when I'm having fun even if she's not. I don't want to talk about your mother, or family, or the new shoes you want to buy.

I want to relax and enjoy everything around me uninterupted by anyone else.

That's just me though.

you said it in a nut shell

I always thought this sounded like a good idea untill I tried it a few times.

I've never been so distracted and annoyed in my life. The outdoors in general is something I enjoy most solo.

I don't put myself out there to entertain, impress, or enlighten anybody. I don't like to go home because someone else is cold, bored, hungry, or scared. I don't want to be aggrevated when I'm having fun even if she's not. I don't want to talk about your mother, or family, or the new shoes you want to buy.

I want to relax and enjoy everything around me uninterupted by anyone else.

That's just me though.

Yeah, been there, done that, only with me it was fishing. I can't picture Mrs. out there in the woods getting her fancy shoes messed up, or losing her earrings, or using the great outdoors as a toilet.

Now, maybe an old-time Indian squaw that knows how to cook, butcher deer, build a fire, and keep you warm in a cold cabin on a chilly night......

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.. I guess I am lucky. My wife turned into quite the huntress this year.  I got shit for not getting a deer and was told I better get one next year! Last night matter of fact she cooked up some venison sausage made a great meal and reminded me she hunted it, killed it, cooked it. Im also lucky she works on my bee hives most times with me.

Everyone says hah hah she got a deer and you didnt. Well yeh but I put her where I thought shed get something, not a lousy spot she wouldnt see something.  Most people saying this to me didnt get a deer this year...

This year has been a major change for my girlfriend and her outdoor love. It first started this year when we went striper fishing, She had the time of her life and caught the heaviest fish. Well seeing how much she loved doing that I invited her to start scouting with me about behind our camp. This was nothing more then clearing areas for the blind or working on shooting lanes ect ect. Opening weekend of early bear we decided to go pull my camera from the woods and all. She loved bears so the idea of hunting for them was out of the picture so I left my rifle at camp and headed up the mountain to get the camera. After the hike we started going through the camera and it was loaded with every animal you could think of other than bigfoot and a mountain lion. As we started talking about all the critters more and more questions about bear hunting started coming up in the convo to the point that she said one of these times I want to sit with you in the woods and just see how hunting goes and to see if I really could kill something. She didn't make it out with me this season but it already went from sitting with me to "Oh I can handle your 30-06, I just need to take my course" So hopefully in the coming years I have another person to build memories with during hunting season. And to think when we started dating she was a vegetarian of about 4 or 5 years, and now she is a meat loving, sharp shooting, top fishing, soon to be hunter and I couldn't be happier!  

Getting her a caliber that is more user friendly is in my plans, I didn't plan on her wanting to get so involved so quick with hunting/shooting, So before most of this happened I had already bought her a 22 for Christmas, but I have started looking for a single shot rifle that will be the most user friendly and readily available for ammo for her. But I have to be able to do this change for her without making her feel weaker/less capiable because she likes to be able to shoot everything that I do (And she shoots well, if not better at most), The only firearm she has not shot of mine is the 45-70 Gov't. So any ideas on how suggest a smaller caliber that will work for her might be a thread that I will have to start, if it comes down to it I have access to a 6 mm Rem that I took my first deer with that will work in a pinch. 

Exactly, find a round that someone can shoot comfortably and the only issue you can't practice for is getting the shakes when you see a deer (or any critter you might hunt) I am a firm believer in shooting my guns year round, that way when the time comes I just pull up and Kaplow without worrying. 3 for 3 so far with a total tracking distance of 1 yard and that was because the twit started to move when I shot. But I will look into the .243 and other rifles out on the market right now. 

When i met my wife she wouldn't have hurt a fly. I got her to go turkey hunting one day with me when we were dating. We were at a field edge and i was calling (cut and run) and i was about ready to pack it in. She said she herd a bird over the hill and i didn't believe her (I didn't here it). But i figured we would cross the corner of the field and tuck into the woods. Next time I called the gobble about knocked my hat off. I ended up shooting a nice bird with a 8 inch beard.

I took her deer hunting a couple years ago and shot three doe opening morning. At that point she started thinking about hunting. Next year got her through the safety course but she was pregnant during that years season and didn't feel up to going out.

Its been hard finding the time to get her out. She wont go without me so we need to have a sitter for the kids which isn't easy being so far away from family. Not many sitters will spend the night or show up at 4 or 5 in the morning.

I hope to get her and some of my kids out this next season. Now i just need to find some land to hunt here in Indiana.

When I come home from hunting my wife has a kiss and a nice hot meal ready for me... that is the extent of her being involved in hunting with me... ever. Like wooly it just isn't something I can imagine enjoying... fortunately she's ok with it too and just wants to have the venison, which she loves!

Edited by nyantler

When I come home from hunting my wife has a kiss and a nice hot meal ready for me... that is the extent of her being involved in hunting with me... ever. Like wooly it just isn't something I can imagine enjoying... fortunately she's ok with it too and just wants to have the venison, which she loves!

Same here and that's the way I want it.

what round were you using?

100gr. .243.   Cheapest off the shelf ammo that I had in my basement.  No premium hunting ammo.       What happened is, when I sighted in my new scope, I went to the range with the cheap ammo.    sighted in perfectly at 100 yards.   and I never made it back to the range with the premium ammo.  So I had to go in the woods with the same ammo I sighted in with.   

I'm still impressed with the knock down power of the .243.   The exit wound was BiG.  This deer was going no where with a 3" exit wound.

Edited by the blur