Deer contests?

TeeBugg

wow... again we find common ground..who would have thought? I also believe contests promote bad hunter behavior

Our contest wont tolerate bad hunter behavior. Apparently im in the best contest going. Heck a guy with a basket 8 is in the lead now...and guys have passed up bigger bucks...no bad hunters here!

• Like 1

competition brings out the chance of taking a chance on a bad shot or unsafe shot to win a contest.  who gets the first one etc.  That is how people get shot.  I must say the contest you are in seems ok.  I am speaking in general.  Hunting should never be a competition

Weve had to refuse people just because of past incidents and poor choices. We also know that mistakes do happen and contest or not bad shots can be made. A little competition isnt a bad thing but i do agree that some contests bring out the worst in some hunters.

I think the type of contest that TeeBugg is talking about is the type among friends that really doesn't create the problems that most are talking about..it's not really a "high stakes" game that would cause people to do illegal stuff to win.........not like he was talking about thousands of dollars to be won.

• Like 1

I think the type of contest that TeeBugg is talking about is the type among friends that really doesn't create the problems that most are talking about..it's not really a "high stakes" game that would cause people to do illegal stuff to win.........not like he was talking about thousands of dollars to be won.

Its more about the ribbing and fun that goes on. Also about hunting deer. Honestly most guys could care less if they shoot the winning buck or doe. Camraderie is more like it

I guess I must have a different attitude about hunting than most people. I never saw a reason or purpose to turn it all into some kind of arcade game. I try not to let competition of any sort with other hunters enter into my thinking or satisfaction with the activity. I have a competition between myself and the deer and that is sufficient for me.  That is one of the reasons why I have never gotten into the antler scoring thing. I couldn't score a deer if I had to. I really don't want my harvests and my fulfillment to be brought down to mere numbers. My hunting is a lot more laid-back than that. That frees me up to simply enjoy the hunt and the things of nature that surround the hunt without having any pressures about how my efforts and results measure up against anybody else.

Like I said, mine is a minority view and is based strictly on what I personally want to get out of hunting. That is not a judgment of what others want or do.

Exactly!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I think contests like TeeBugg and I are in are ok. it's not really about the contest and prize anyway.  it gets you a tank of gas worth of cash and that's about it for ours.  I'm with the others in that if it was different, higher stakes, or with strangers I probably wouldn't be in it.  I'm in a team contest in another forum but it's more to share stories of your season and talk with others.  you really don't win anything for that one either.

Our contest wont tolerate bad hunter behavior. Apparently im in the best contest going. Heck a guy with a basket 8 is in the lead now...and guys have passed up bigger bucks...no bad hunters here!

The friendly contest among friends can sometimes get out of hand as well... don't get me wrong,  I understand the bragging rights, small money competition between friends at camp... and it can be fun with the right guys... but anytime deer hunting becomes a contest it leads to hunters doing things they may not normally do to come out on top... it's just the human condition and always will be when it comes to testosterone...

As a scorer for the NYSBBC .. we sometimes even see it when it comes to the record book... most hunters don't understand that the records kept are to record exceptional deer, not exceptional hunters... it is not a contest... yet, some hunters will do things like try to enter a game farm buck, buck killed before or after shooting hours, etc. just to get in the book because they think it makes them look like a better hunter.. it's sad really... but some guys just can't help themselves. Contests with money or big prizes involved are even worse.

I never thought of ours as a real competition...but a way to get to know others on the site ...you can only score so many doe...buck go by points...and substitutions can be made...southern guys have more tags...so it's a team decision whether to do so or not...and you can earn a point for mentoring a youth...extra point for bow kills...all need a pic with name date site logo