hello and good bye

dpsurf

Hello. I am new to posting, but have visited this forum for quite sometime. I am only a few years into hunting so I have learned a great deal from the many knowledgable contributors on this site. Once I tagged my first deer, I immediately purchased licenses in states where family lives to expand my opportunities (pa, va, nc). I soon came upon certain things I did not know (as any new person would) and decided to join to ask questions. I have since decided that is not a good idea. To all newbies if you post a trail camera picture with a mineral lick or bait of any type, no amount of explaining that it is out of state will do. If you post a picture of a monster buck those same individuals will not believe that it is a NY buck, and again no proof will do. Also if you find yourself defending what began as a simple question, it is always a possibility that the fact that you have made only a few posts will be ammunition against you. These are not all my own personal experiences. Just a smattering of observations mixed with what I experienced. Most of the members appear to be both helpful and informative, unfortunately others do exist. I will continue to read for tidbits of info as I had in the past, but this community, as others, has a few people not worth being spoken to. Regards and good luck in all your seasons. 

This is a great site, very informative. Most members are wonderful in answering questions and taking the time to share their experiences. Yes there are a few here that are down right rude in their responses, Know-it-alls, the type I would not want in my hunting camp. With that said this is an internet forum and you really have to watch how you interpret what's typed. Dpsurf no need to leave either ignore the person or fire back if you don't like it. This site has so much to offer, just don't walk away. Steve you hear violins?

First...this is a public forum, so you have to know before you post something, that once you post or start a thread it is subject to ridcule, claims of false hood, or to idiots that claim to be know-it-alls. It is just part of the deal, and it happens in any type of forum. You just need to have thick skin, and move on past the negative posts or ignore the person, and enjoy the opinions of the numerous good natured fellow hunters that seem to dominate this forum. I haven't been here too long, but it is easy to see that the vast majority here are extremely good natured. Just take a look at the congradulatory posts that follow when a fellow hunter posts pictures of his/hers hunting achievements. I don't mean this in a rude way at all, but...don't be so sensitive!!

Since I am a member of several forums, I know full well what you're talking about.

However, as was already said...this is a public forum. Meaning all sorts of people are using & posting on it...and there is no guarantee they're going to follow any sort of etiquette rules or even if they know something about what they're posting about.

As forum members we have to realize we have a choice...we can either respond to a BS post (troll rant) or not. There is no rule saying you have to reply to someone's silly reply to your post.

It's a lot like when you're in the car on the highway. You pass a car with a kid in the backseat...and he sticks his tongue at you.

You have to decide the best way to handle the situation...do you stick your tongue out at him, which might have the parents questioning your sanity...or do you continue on your journey?

Me? I run the car off the road and beat everybody up...but that's why I'm on meds and have the ankle bracelet with Lo-Jack installed. ;)

You guys are right on that I should not take the BS personally, but to be essentially called a criminal (accusing me of baiting where it is illegal) is not something I particularly don't care for. Its not opinion or "thoughts" I was arguing, its facts and what amounts to an accusation of a crime.

Yeah, I hear you on that too.

When someone says I am something which I am not, I agree it is difficult to ignore them (especially when they make it so personal).

What we have to do is realize they probably just didn't understand what you meant to convey. In cases like this I state my case, and within one or two posts I try to explain myself better.

However, if they still don't get it I fall back to something John Wayne once said.

"Life is hard, and it's even harder when you're stupid"

And off I go to the next topic.

Must be new to forums  ;D  This forum is rather tame compaired to the old one some of us use to go to. There was some less than honest fellows on there that got caught in there lies so you have to excuse some of us we are a little more skepticle than others about some peoples claims.  Don't worry about the trail cam photos post you have referred to, I can't count on my hands and feet the number of NY trail cam photos I have seen on this and other NY sites with corn or other bait visable in the shot. 

Must be new to forums  ;D  This forum is rather tame compaired to the old one some of us use to go to. There was some less than honest fellows on there that got caught in there lies so you have to excuse some of us we are a little more skepticle than others about some peoples claims.  Don't worry about the trail cam photos post you have referred to, I can't count on my hands and feet the number of NY trail cam photos I have seen on this and other NY sites with corn or other bait visable in the shot.

I had a camera set up and was asked ( very professionally ) if I had baited to which I responded that I hadn't . After taking a better look at my pics , I thought , oh crap , apples ? There was nothing on the ground when I went to check the camera so I never gave it a thought but after checking the pics , I was skeptical . I pulled my camera from that area . Someone thought they were doing me a favor by "helping" ? People that don't know the rules / regs can get you in trouble .

DPSURf, welcome! Stick around the majority of the folks on the site are great. There are some rotten apples and I do mean ROTTEN. Don't let them effect you. There are braggers and bullies wherever you go. Just ignore them and move on like the rest of us. I hope you stay.

Relax!  stick around,  this forum seems to have  way fewer A- holes them Most of my other Hobby  associated forums.  Not everyone is going to like you, nor will you like everyone else but For the most part you are here because you love to hunt and it feels good to flock to people that  share that same passion. Just don't waist any sleep if you cant please everyone. 

Please Don't act like that 9 pointer did to me yesterday.    come around for a brief glimpse, stick your nose up in the air then just  walk away.    Come back! don't make me call you either.

J/k

There are some people on here who I can see get on your nerves. I have learned to ignore people even when they are attacking me. (Not on this forum). But sometimes those arrogant guys have made me laugh when I read their stuff. So stay around for awhile and see what for laughs you can get.

I love it. two pages of responses to an I am going to take my ball and go home.  Stick around, you can obviously get responses on your threads.

LOL..

Wolf, what wolf?? Where's the wolf? AHHHHH!! 8)

When you deal with the general public, you will encounter those you don't care for, and carry on..

Same here DP. Stick around, it's a good forum..

Welcome to Huntinny.com