DEC tried to frame me...

wooly

I waited to get my hunting licence (big game and archery) untill the day before the bow opener this year. Right about the second week of October I got a fall turkey hunter survey in the mail from the DEC asking me to log bird sightings.., how many I saw and shot at..., how many I saw but no shot..,how many I killed.., with what weapon.. etc. etc.

I just tossed it aside with my other junk mail because this year I didn't bother purchasing the 2013-14 turkey stamp. I had no intentions on hunting fall birds so I'll wait till spring to decide if I'm going to get a turkey tag or not.

Today I got another letter from DEC asking me to promply fill out and return my fall turkey hunters survey so they can use the data for determining pressure on fall birds and future management decisions. The survey clearly states the info was to be obtained while pursuing turkey this fall whether successfull or not.

While I'd certainly be more than willing to share with them my observations while pursuing other game, I wouldn't want to record data that may sound "incriminating" or insinuate I was actually hunting turkey at some point. I mean, do they expect me to return the survey saying I killed half a dozen longbeards , 4 hens, and 8 poults even though I don't have a tag,lol

Oh, just to clarify.., I don't believe they were really trying to frame me. I do however believe they could have done a better job determining who they send these surveys to if they're looking for accurate feedback. I would think they would want these surveys in the hands of guys who actually hold a valid turkey stamp and just might give a darn.

Anyone else get this survey but wasn't really qualified to record data?

• Like 3

I received a turkey survey that wasn't quite as involved as the one you describe. On mine there was a check-box for "I did not hunt turkeys this year" or something of the sort. I checked that off and sent it back. Does your survey have a place for comments? If you don't have the check-box that I had, that may be the best place to let them know you didn't hunt this year.

I received a turkey survey that wasn't quite as involved as the one you describe. On mine there was a check-box for "I did not hunt turkeys this year" or something of the sort. I checked that off and sent it back. Does your survey have a place for comments? If you don't have the check-box that I had, that may be the best place to let them know you didn't hunt this year.

Here is the meat of it.

The second letter I received said that this is a 4 year survey and I'd be getting one every year.

CSC_0343_zps2a158ce6.jpg

I would've and could've filled it out.  didn't get one though.  funny how you can't really fill it out as you were not hunting for turkey.  it basically is structured around you having a turkey license, which you do not have.  I'd mailed it back. with a separate piece of paper saying you didn't have a permit and didn't hunt them.  if you really want to go out of your way list sightings.