What clover to plant

I cleared a small opening out back in my woods this pass fall. It is about a quarter arce in size and has a doz or so oaks through-out.  I cleaned the leaves up ( many years of leaves) down to the bare ground. Next I have to clear up what the snow has knocked down, I will do this hopefully this spring after the snow is gone. I want to plant clover in there for the deer, but do not know what is better (red or white) for deer. I know there a lot of acid in the ground from all the years with the leaves and would like to know if anyone has tried planting clover on ground like this and if the clove took and what (red or white) did you use to have deer use it in late summer and fall. Thanks for any and all the help you can give me.

Why would it need lime when clover grows in acidic soils down to 5.
he thinks it might be to acidic. He needs to get a soil test done to confirm. Even though it will grow it wont hurt to throw some lime down now for better results from a less acidic soil.

when the people fear the government there is tyranny. when the government fears the people there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson

under oak, its acidic. prolly 4.5-5 lime it the closer the level is to 7 the better the nutrients are absorbed and more attractive to deer/game it becomes.. 1/4 acre i do 400 lbs minimum without a soil test, soil test will still prolly tell you to add more... and now is time to do it. you can do soil test in spring and add to it if you need to then...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

How big are these oaks? Seems like you are going to be fighting some battles with leaves on this plot. Once it gets established it should be ok, but I have seen a few plots with leaf drop problems never really be that successful with clover.

Liming makes it so the nutrients in the soil aren't "bound up" and readily available to the growing plants...which if done properly for both the plots and the oak...not going too neutral.....  you are helping to produce more hard mast out of the oak....as far as leaf cover.... I have many many woodland plots... clovers and in the Oak flats...all you need to know is make trails in and plots big enough to cleanly drive your mower in...

I mow to remove leaves off my trails so just take a tour around the place hitting the plots..keep the deck high...also helps keep weeds from setting seed...

It drives ppl nuts..."you'll chase the big buck away"...well I didn't get a big buck this year but not because I didn't see nor even have a shot at them...big reason I did have those opportunities is because I was quiet getting to my sets.... regardless of leaf fall it's sun light you need and ALL clover plots will at one time or another need at least one mowing to keep them growing well...and a bag or two of lime yearly as maintenance ...due to acid build up,with decaying leafs and and plants...

Clover is a good hold over plot but consider mixing in some chicory for a deeper tap root in case you get some dry spells. I have had good luck with AntlerKing trophy clover mix with or without boosting the chicory mix. My plots are woodland avg ph is 6. 

I have heard whitetail prefer white ladino but I have pics and video of deer in and out of the clover all summer & early fall. For the most part after bow season they move on to other browse.

edited to add;

I use one of these cheap ph meters for a general avg. Yes I know it's not perfectly accurate or as good as a complete test. But it's served, the end tips are somewhat fragile, so I use a small shovel and turn over some loose dirt. 

Edited by Fantail

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you got rid of the weeds with a chemical burn off last year.  If not roundup it twice this spring and summer waiting till late summer to plant the clover.  No sense wasting money if the weeds are going to get it before the deer.  

A pH of 7 maximizes clover seed germination.  Each ton of lime/acre raises pH 0.2 . (Applying more than 3 tons/acre at time is a waste of money no matter what the soil pH is).  Lime takes months to work so:.

1. Apply your lime as soon as possible (over the snow is fine) Whatever you do.... get it on NOW,

2. Before you frost seed the clover in March mix the seed with lime.  That will help assure that you get the max germination rate for the clover

3. Plant a white clover that sets deep roots.  It will last longer and be drought resistant.

4. Keep it mowed under 6 inches

5. I have had good luck with Landino and New Zealand type white clovers. (I also had good luck with the Imperial brand clover but this is not a commercial.)  

6. Do what you want. Just have a good time and let us know how it turns out . 

I hope you got rid of the weeds with a chemical burn off last year.  If not roundup it twice this spring and summer waiting till late summer to plant the clover.  No sense wasting money if the weeds are going to get it before the deer.  

A pH of 7 maximizes clover seed germination.  Each ton of lime/acre raises pH 0.2 . (Applying more than 3 tons/acre at time is a waste of money no matter what the soil pH is).  Lime takes months to work so:.

1. Apply your lime as soon as possible (over the snow is fine) Whatever you do.... get it on NOW,

2. Before you frost seed the clover in March mix the seed with lime.  That will help assure that you get the max germination rate for the clover

3. Plant a white clover that sets deep roots.  It will last longer and be drought resistant.

4. Keep it mowed under 6 inches

5. I have had good luck with Landino and New Zealand type white clovers. (I also had good luck with the Imperial brand clover but this is not a commercial.)  

6. Do what you want. Just have a good time and let us know how it turns out . 

Ladino is a good choice and often commonly available. Lots of people refer to it as Landino...sort of like how people say barassica instead of brassica. So, OP, Ladino is the correct namesake for when you go in to ask at the grain store or phone in an order.

But, I still like Alice, too.

I wouldn't lime until you have the soil test results.

Question,

Mowing. For small plots. under 6"? all I have access to is a residential mower. I have 2 woodland plots we are planting this year. we only get to camp about once a month in the summer. how do you guy mow the small one? and how short. I seem to recall to not cut them under 8" (which gives me issues with a residential mower

I'm not sure I'd stress over the mowing just yet. If they are small and located in the woods, you may not need to worry about it with browse pressure.

Mowing vs. spraying for weed control is a 6 in one/half dozen in the other scenario. Pros and cons to both.

I'd actually consider going the cheap route and using a weak RU solution once or twice AFTER a growing season June/August. The clover can make it through OK with the right mix. 1 oz/gal is a ballpark to consider. It will stunt the clover no doubt, but it'll come back pretty clean and strong. Maybe just one spraying to be safe.

I think you can probably let the plot grow as need be and be OK the first season, unless you have serious weed issues.

Edited by phade

Question,

Mowing. For small plots. under 6"? all I have access to is a residential mower. I have 2 woodland plots we are planting this year. we only get to camp about once a month in the summer. how do you guy mow the small one? and how short. I seem to recall to not cut them under 8" (which gives me issues with a residential mower

cc, I took an old murray push mower and jacked it up. I attached 2x4's to the mower and then attached the wheels to the bottom of the 2x4's. It now cuts at 6 inches. Works great!! 

• Like 1