A little perplexed (deer processing timing)

BUCKANDAQUARTER

Arigt I dropped my doe off to be butchered last Sunday (12/15), the night I shot it. This is the fourth deer I have brought them so after we BSed for a couple of hours I offered to pay him, he said it didn't matter, but I paid him anyway. My wife and his wife are friends btw. So I said I wouldn't mind if it hung a day or two since I just shot it that night. He had a buck that was frozen stiff that someone had dropped off, which is why I made sure to drop mine off right away seeing how it was so cold out. My wife went grocery shoppping yesterday and while at the store she texted the butchers wife to see when the deer was going to be ready and whether or not she should buy burger. She said it would be ready no later than Friday (12/27).We were kind of surprised that it was going to take nearly 2 weeks. When I got one with my bow is was ready in 2 or 3 days. They have a walk in cooler and everything, and they do a great job. I know he wasn't backlogged with deer. What do you guys think?

that is a bit of a loaded questions, as it depends on the type of facilities/equipment the butcher has.

the place I go to, it usually takes 2 weeks, but it is a place that regularly processes beef and pork..  They are equiped to let the deer age properly before butchering it.

The quality of the meat is the best I have every received from any butcher I have gone to...

If it is someone that is just doing it out of his/her garage and it takes 2 weeks, I would be concerned...

He has a formal meat room in his walkout basement. Every other deer I got from them was done in 2 to 4 days, the same with the other butcher I used. Not meant to be a loaded question. I was just curious as to what some of you guys experience as far as timing and aging.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

As long as he has a walk in cooler with temp control, it's no big deal.

IF you can keep temps in the 30s, aging venison for 8-10 days improves it, IMHO.

Many deer processers cut deer ASAP, because they tend to get large numbers of deer in a very short period of time, such as opening week. That is not to say they might not get BETTER meat by aging it for awhile, but with the high number of deer taken in a short time and the short turnaround time required by many out of the area hunters, they don't have that option.

Alrighty. I used to let mine hang for a week, if the weather was perfect, when I cut them up myself. I never really noticed a difference in the meat from the 2 or 3 day hangtime. I said I didn't mind if he let it hang a little bit. I have never had one that hung for 10+ days. I have heard stories of people letting them hang in root cellars for over two weeks and the meat was fantastic. I just want some inner tendrloin or those little sirloin steaks. YUMM...

Probably right. He didn't have a bunch in the freezer, but with it being the end of the season a lot of people could have brought their stuff in after letting it hang. He sid he cuts up the uglier looking stuff first to get it the heck out of there. I'm sure everthing is copasetic and he has never given me a reason to think otherwise. I just don't really know what is normal as far as turnaround time.

I've been cutting my deer up myself since I was 14 and my Dad taught me the ropes, Why not learn how to do it yourself? It really

is not a complicated thing.  I could not possibly fathom "paying" someone to butcher my deer, I prefer handling the meat I harvested and plan on feeding my family anyhow.  The only thing I've paid for was to have snack sticks made & that's over as of when I get my tax return as I'll be buying a high end smoker & a few other new processing toys this year as well.  But as of now & the past 30 years, all I needed was a tree, a couple sharp knives, a cutting board and wrap!  I've also had friends, new to hunting or just new to hunting as hard as I do ask me to cut theirs up, I tell them "I will help you by showing you how to do it yourself on this one, so pay attention"

LOL

After butchering well over a hundred I'm sure he wouldn't wait until my came in to steal some meat, haha. I used to cut my own. I had a butcher a couple houses down that I used to go over to a lot during deer season. I learned quite a bit and during hard times I would cut my own. But to me it is well worth the cost, as of now, to have it done. He vacuum seals it which I really like. I had a bunch get freezer burned one year with paper so now I won't go back to paper. I don't really have the space to do it right now without it being a major PITA. Someday when I finally find a good place to buy I plan on having a good designated area just for processing. Someday.

There are a few different places to go, in Cambridge there is West End Deer Processing, friends of mine go there and are very satisfied, I think he charges $50 for processing. I go to Belhow Deer Processing off of Blind Buck Rd in Salem. It is about 1.5 mi from me. He does a great job and vacuum seals. $70 for processing. They always do a great job, clean packs, I have never found a hair. I will continue to go there and recommend him I just didn't know what was normal for turnaround timing.

Not bad at all, I will either goto Frank Hohmans in Fort Ann ($60 and you have to dispose of bones but a 2-3 day turn around) or if  I am feeling really good I will drop the cash and goto Ruts Ridge but that costs me a pretty penny. (From $85-100 Week or more wait but also will do any smoking you want) 

Side note another reason he could be running behind is maybe he is out of spices? A guy I hunt with had to wait 2 extra weeks for his deer because the place he went to ran out of all seasonings at different times throughout the week. 

I don't have any experience with butchers.  I do my own.  you really don't age a deer carcass between 36-38 degrees for more than 2-3 days.  if it's frozen solid that's another thing and you can procrastinate longer.  probably busy with other things like the others have said.

Never had a deer take more than 4 days... certainly never had one take 2 weeks.. my butcher did over 600 deer this year and has a small family operation. 2 weeks seems a bit long to me.. especially for someone who is a friend. But, you never know what kind of extenuating circumstances are involved